“Nice Visit”

Walnut Grove Plantation
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Spartanburg
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We just moved to Spartanburg and wanted to "discover" the area - very interesting home and the guide was friendly and very informative.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Although this is not a secret, it is a fantastic opportunity to see a mid-18th century house filled with period furnishings & various outbuildings. I say it is not a secret because it is well marked on I-26 just east of Spartanburg, but even history-lover me passed it by for many years. It is just off the interstate and unlike any other place I have visited so do take a break from your interstate travel and stop by there. You will find it worth the hour or so!

2  Thank Hannah H
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have returned to this lovely plantation several times after visiting with my son on a school field trip. The area is beautiful, but a stroll around the grounds is more than that. Even for someone who has been raised in the south, this icon of southern history had much to show me. From the home with its "peek" through the siding at the original log construction to the doctor's medical implement display, to the cemeteries, this plantation has a lot to show for itself.

2  Thank Jeanette-SC
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have visited Walnut Grove several times. As an educator, I was interested in learning about the historical significance of the site, as well as what it offers for learning about colonial life. The first time I visited, we walked around the site, reading the signs, taking pictures, and just observing the buildings and artifacts. We also walked down the trail to the family and slave cemeteries on the site, which I would highly recommend doing. My second visit was for the annual FestiFall celebration and reenactment that takes place every fall. I really enjoyed the reenactment of the skirmish that occurred at Walnut Grove during the Revolution as well as meeting the variety of reenactors on the site who demonstrated activities that were part of life at Walnut Grove.

I have not taken a guided tour through the grounds, but I would recommend doing so. I would recommend this site for any history lovers and also families who are interested in learning more about history!

2  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed August 13, 2012

we went on a school trip and I was so glad when it was over. I was board out of my mind. they really need to amp that up. not much to it. and we love history. we go to williamsburg VA often...

1  Thank Sheilavlieg