“A Welcomed Detour”
Review of BMW Zentrum

BMW Zentrum
Ranked #3 of 39 things to do in Spartanburg
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Wonderful museum detailing BMW's history and innovation. Hard to believe it's free, and they even give factory tours when not in production (we missed being able to tour but the museum film was very interesting). Nice gift shop and café on site as well. Open during business hours and right off of I-85 in Greer, SC, it is a nice stop and a "wow" experience. (The museum takes less than an hour to see, but allow longer when they are giving factory tours)

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The museum shows the history of BMWs from motorcycles to airplane engines to today’s vehicles capable of flying down the road. My favorite exhibit includes three Isettas. My parents had one of these quirky little cars when I was a toddler in New York City. If you area gear head, you might like this little detour.

But it was disappointing that both the live and virtual plant tours were out of commission until Summer 2014. Limited to business hours, this is okay for a 20 minute stop if you are driving down I-85 in Greer, SC. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way for this. You can read my whole review at journeysbyjill.com

Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you are into BMWs like me it is really interesting. The best part is taking the factory tour. Nothing like it if you have never done one before. Plan on taking more time if you take tour.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

A smaller museum, but you can't beat the price. The cars they have, while not a ton, are very interesting and amazing looking. We couldn't take the tour as the factory was being re-tooled, but will definitely come back. The factory is immense and they build all the X-series cars here, except the X1. The gift shop is also pretty good and has a nice selection. Probably not worth a standalone visit without the tour, but a great stop when picking up a new car on performance delivery.

What an amazing experience the Performance Center pickup is! I cannot recommend this enough for anyone picking up a new car. For free, you get to partake in one of the most amazing days possible and experience so many different aspects of the BMW range. The day begins with a short classroom briefing on safety and the agenda, then moves out to the track where you get to learn about different features of your new car, in someone else's car! Alone in your car, but with an instructor on the walkie-talkie, you get to practice driving the car through a handling course with slaloms and quick turns. You also practice braking from different speeds and with the ABS. One of the scarier, but more fun ones is a trip on the skid pad where you see the huge difference between no traction control and with as you skid around like crazy. Finally, if you are nice to your instructor, he may take you on a hot lap in an M3 where you will be glad you didn't have lunch yet. Then we went to the museum which was small, but interesting. They have a lot of cool cars on display and a nice gift shop. After this, we got to drive the X5 and experience the cool features on an off-road course. We drove through a flooded stream, up on 2 wheels, and up and down countless slopes to showcase how easy it really is to off-road in one. This was probably the coolest part just because we had no idea what to expect and this was really amazing. Everything was just crazy enough to feel slightly dangerous, but very controlled. The instructors were incredible and super friendly. We spoke with Paul, our track instructor at lunch for an hour and he probably talked us into coming back for the two day performance driving class. This is a must when picking up a new car!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Visited the museum while on a business trip. It's small, but if you're into cars and motorcycles, it's worthwhile. I just learned about the Performance Driving School where one can drive a BMW on their track under several situations. I absolutely will do this when in the area again with some additional time.