“Stay here, just don't eat here”

Spartanburg Marriott
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
Marietta, Georgia
“Stay here, just don't eat here”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I've stayed at this Marriott a few times and like the majority of the property. Unfortunately, the kitchen at the main restaurant is quite dysfunctional.

I would recommend staying at this Marriott if you're in the Spartanburg area, would even recommend getting a drink at the bar located just off their lobby.... just don't eat here.

I escaped my last dinner meal here and attempted to find refuge in the concierge lounge. The attendant promised to provide me with some Marriott points to compensate me for my trouble. Never received them. She was even the asst manager to the restaurant! I ran into another gentlemen in the lounge that had the same poor restaurant experience and also agreed never to eat there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank liveforadventure
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear liveforadventure,
On behalf of the Spartanburg Marriott, I apologize for the unsatisfactory experience you had in our restaurant. I am sure the experience was not the type of adventure you like to live for. The circumstances that night did affect both you and other customers, but are not typical of the quality and service usually provided. I hope you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Spartanburg. Your Marriott points are coming your way - they do sometimes take a couple of weeks to post to your account.
Mike Nelson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have traveled to Spartanburg several times on business and the Marriott is the only hotel I will stay at! I love the staff at the hotel! Jessica, Lyndsy, Bethany, Paige, AGM Chris Reger and GM Mike Nelson always make me feel like family. The staff is great! They always have the best suggetions when it comes to dinning out around Spartburg!! That being said the food at Marriott is some of the best in Spartanburg!! I always get the pulled pork sandwich for lunch, but my favorite is the corn beef hash with two eggs and hollandaise sauce! If your not staying at the Marriott your missing out on a great experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I recently spent the night here while visiting our daughters. This was our 4th stay at this large,grand-scale hotel over the past year, and we have been very impressed each time. The smiling front desk staff greeted us and quickly and efficiently checked us in, the whole time chatting with us, asking about the reasons for our visit, etc....the type of small talk that made us feel like the hotel was really interested in us as guests and happy to have us there. In fact, there was a smile and a hello from the front desk staff every time we walked through the lobby. We spent some time in the lounge in the evening...a lively Saturday night crowd, and the bar/wait staff had the same friendly, outgoing attitude...a great time was had. We travel about 6-8 weeks a year on business/pleasure and rank this hotel among the best for friendly, smiling, outgoing, well-trained personnel. As for the hotel itself, our room was very spacious and immaculately clean with a great view of the city. The hotel is quite large with a grand, well-decorated lobby area, a fine dining restaurant, and a large bar/lounge area with a variety of seating (and an adjacent Starbucks counter). The lounge area continues outside to a large patio which attracts a fun-loving crowd. There is also a large outdoor pool. The hotel has elegant ballrooms with at least one majestic staircase out of "Gone with the Wind." Several events were going on, including a wedding reception. Although the hotel was packed, we had no problem parking in the underground garage with elevator to the lobby. It was a great, fun stay, and we plan on staying here every time we visit the area. We highly recommend the Spartanburg Marriott!

Room Tip: Higher floors have great city-views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I travel extensively on business and have become a Platinum member with Marriott primarily because of my introduction to Marriott thru the hotel in Spartanburg.

The hotel is by far the best full service hotel in the area and I stayed at quite a few hotels in Spartanburg before I found the Marriott.. You have to go the Greenville or Charlotte for anything comperable.

The staff is great. The rooms, restaurants and bar offer good value and quality.

It's a comfortable place to go at the end of the business day.

Try it you'll like it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta,ga
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have been staying at the Spartanburg Marriott for 3 months due to business. After trying other hotels in the area the Spartanburg Marriott has been the best place to stay in Spartanburg. The food and bar downstairs have made the late night return bearable while providing good food such as the catch of the day. On some days the food is overdone but as a whole it hits the spot after a long day of work. The rooms are nice and don't have a microwave or fridge, but for me that isn't an issue. My only complaint is the huge events they have here causing parking to be almost to capacity and a plethora of people but understand why they do it for their bottom line. Overall this is the best place to stay in Spartanburg and would recommend to any business traveler in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Booked 3 nights here on business and my overall impression was just blah. Not everything was bad, the restaurant and lobby bar is decent & has good food/ambience. Also Free parking. Rooms are OK. But there are no fridges in the rooms. They also screwed up my bill where they divided my 3 days into 2 charges for some reason and only gave me 1 receipt. (Still waiting for my 2nd receipt)and they never credited me for the platinum arrival bonus. Had to call twice to request it and still waiting. In summary, too many hassles and annoyances. There are many other options in this area to deal with this nonsense.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank JayMoli
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear JayMoli,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to speak with our Assistant General Manager about your experience. I understand that he has taken care of getting you the proper receipt and ensuring your account is credited properly. I apologize for the frustration we caused you, not only while you were at the hotel, but after departure as well. I hope you will consider trusting us to take care of you on your next trip to Spartanburg.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I lodged in this hotel for an extended stay while taking care of business downtown. First, the good elements: the outdoor pool is rather nice, as it is the hot tub, the sauna, and the lobby. The room is pleasant -- but there are shortfalls: no fridge, no microwave, no safe in the room. I asked the reason why. They told me their safes did not work. This is especially true when there is no safe in the room. If you want internet access, you´ll have to pay $13 per device. So, if you are a couple with 2 laptops, it is going to be $30/day including tax. They have many conventions, especially on weekends. Some of them are massive, and parking could be an issue (the issue of not finding parking at all). Be advised that some convention guests can be rather noisy. Employees are trained to say "my pleasure" to any request; after a few days, it seems rather artificial for clearly overworked, underpaid staff. All for the standard rate of $149 + tax in this wannabe Marriott that falls short in many sides (but not for charging you extra in services that other real Marriotts really do provide to their guests; you get their business model). For this kind of dough, I would recommend looking into other options that offer better service or value; Spartanburg is no Manhattan after all.

Some reviewers mentioned that they received extra charges after they left. It was no surprise to see that this wannabe Marriott assessed some unauthorized extra charges in my credit card a couple of days after I settled my bill with them. I had to call Central reservations of the Marriott (not the wannabe Spartanburg pseudomarriott) to take care of the problem. So, in addition, they are also dishonest. My unequivocal advice: stay away.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cba123
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear cba123,
As being away from home for an extended time is likely not a first choice for many people, staying for an extended period at any Hotel can be tiring and frustrating, and while I am pleased you enjoyed some aspects of the Hotel, I am disappointed we did not provide you with a positive, memorable experience while you were here with us. As hosts who do value our guests, there is no intention on our part to be dishonest in any way. Our policies; including a charge for Internet, and availability of refrigerators and safes, are in line with all non-resort Marriott Hotels. Internet is offered complimentary to all guests in any public area of the hotel and inside the guestroom to Gold and Platinum Marriott Reward members. Since your stay with us, our Internet capability has been upgraded to allow guests up to 5 device connections per room with no additional charge.
The safes originally installed in the hotel 10 years ago were removed recently because of problems with proper operation that compromised the security of the safe and reliable access to the safe by guests. The Hotel does offer the option to place valuable items in a private lock box behind the front desk.
Regarding the charges applied to your account after your departure, I would love the opportunity to review that to ensure that we are not mistakenly charging anything incorrectly. Thank you for your feedback. While I do not always like the feedback, the information is key to help us continually improve our product and our services.