“wannabe dishonest marriot”

Spartanburg Marriott
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I lodged in this hotel for an extended stay while taking care of business downtown. First, the good elements: the outdoor pool is rather nice, as it is the hot tub, the sauna, and the lobby. The room is pleasant -- but there are shortfalls: no fridge, no microwave, no safe in the room. I asked the reason why. They told me their safes did not work. This is especially true when there is no safe in the room. If you want internet access, you´ll have to pay $13 per device. So, if you are a couple with 2 laptops, it is going to be $30/day including tax. They have many conventions, especially on weekends. Some of them are massive, and parking could be an issue (the issue of not finding parking at all). Be advised that some convention guests can be rather noisy. Employees are trained to say "my pleasure" to any request; after a few days, it seems rather artificial for clearly overworked, underpaid staff. All for the standard rate of $149 + tax in this wannabe Marriott that falls short in many sides (but not for charging you extra in services that other real Marriotts really do provide to their guests; you get their business model). For this kind of dough, I would recommend looking into other options that offer better service or value; Spartanburg is no Manhattan after all.

Some reviewers mentioned that they received extra charges after they left. It was no surprise to see that this wannabe Marriott assessed some unauthorized extra charges in my credit card a couple of days after I settled my bill with them. I had to call Central reservations of the Marriott (not the wannabe Spartanburg pseudomarriott) to take care of the problem. So, in addition, they are also dishonest. My unequivocal advice: stay away.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cba123
Mike N, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear cba123,
As being away from home for an extended time is likely not a first choice for many people, staying for an extended period at any Hotel can be tiring and frustrating, and while I am pleased you enjoyed some aspects of the Hotel, I am disappointed we did not provide you with a positive, memorable experience while you were here with us. As hosts who do value our guests, there is no intention on our part to be dishonest in any way. Our policies; including a charge for Internet, and availability of refrigerators and safes, are in line with all non-resort Marriott Hotels. Internet is offered complimentary to all guests in any public area of the hotel and inside the guestroom to Gold and Platinum Marriott Reward members. Since your stay with us, our Internet capability has been upgraded to allow guests up to 5 device connections per room with no additional charge.
The safes originally installed in the hotel 10 years ago were removed recently because of problems with proper operation that compromised the security of the safe and reliable access to the safe by guests. The Hotel does offer the option to place valuable items in a private lock box behind the front desk.
Regarding the charges applied to your account after your departure, I would love the opportunity to review that to ensure that we are not mistakenly charging anything incorrectly. Thank you for your feedback. While I do not always like the feedback, the information is key to help us continually improve our product and our services.
At your service,
Mike Nelson

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We arrived and thought the hotel looked nice and the staff seemed friendly & helpful. Our clerk checked us in efficiently and then insisted on showing us around to get our bearings. That was a nice touch. We were meeting friends who have kids who attend Wofford and have been staying there many times a year for the past 8 years! Our room seemed spacious and clean, although I am still shocked at hotels that charge a fee for wi-fi - particularly on the concierge level! Unfortunately, the concierge level services (food) are only available during the week , so you don't get that value on the weekends. That part had no value whatsoever. We went to the bar to meet up with our friends, and the staff there seemed to be friendly and fairly attentive.
We were impressed with what we were seeing! We left for a couple of hours and when we came back to the bar, it was a bit more crowded and the service was much slower.
We went to the football game and returned again to the bar - at this point it was jam packed. We never did really ever get a waitress to take our orders at our seats, so the husbands kept going up to the bar to get our own drinks (and snack mix). That was a bit understandable, although I would think they might be prepared for that on a game night.
Our impression quickly turned once we got up to our room...
our toilet had overflowed/continually run and flooded the bathroom and was coming into the bedroom. We called to front desk for help, which was a long time to get response. When someone finally arrived at our room (at least 20 minutes and this was after midnight), it wasn't a Marriott employee, but rather the contracted security guy. He attempted to unclog the toilet, but needed advice from my husband (to turn the water back on). He wondered if we wanted the water turned back on that night (um yeah) and once it was running properly, seemed confused as to what to do about the standing water! He asks if he should get a mop (um yeah). Brings our new clean towels (others were used to dam up the water to minimize flowing into our bedroom) in the mop bucket (gross). Gets about 80% of the water up and quits, claiming he'd done all he could do. We were left with a dirty bathroom floor still wet, and towels from the mop bucket (really gross). Requested new clean towels (he was perplexed at this request!). At this point it is after 1:30 am. My husband was ready to actually get in the car and just drive back home (3 hours!!!) after being so disappointed. No one offered anything to help make the situation right --- not even an apology of "so sorry about this"...
this is certainly not how I would treat my guests!
Also, our room was hot and even with thermostat set at 65, it never really cooled well. Our reservation requested extra towels and pillows - we didn't receive those. We still haven't been credited our Marriott Reward points for this stay for some reason either!
Checked out in the a.m. and hubby told desk clerk who nodded, called over the manager, who nodded and smiled and did nothing. We had breakfast with our friends, which was another disaster --- the omelet ordered never arrived. Drinks were brought once, but basically left alone after that point.
Spartanburg is a small town with very little competition for the hotel. Too bad, because they sure could use it!
Very disappointed in Marriott -- the hotel is ok, but the staff seems quite lackluster! The staff and the details are what makes or breaks a hotel and this one is a deal-breaker.
Sorry Marriott, but you might wanna work on this one!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The strengths of this Marriott are cleanliness, friendly staff, large, grand, public spaces and well outfitted rooms. Drawbacks are expensive wifi (adds more than 10% to the room cost per night!) and no breakfast, both of which make the value iffy compared to other options.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Came here for a wedding in August. The AARP rate was even less than the wedding's group rate, so make sure you get all the discounts coming to you. WiFi was $13/day (lobby was free) so those discounts come in handy. Lovely room--we had a very comfortable king bed and sofa. Hotel restaurant was pretty good for breakfast and not too expensive. There's a small Starbucks in the lobby, so this Northerner can get good strong coffee (and not the usual weak brew served in the south). Fitness room is large, has lots of equipment, and was hardly used (except by me). Pool was outside, huge, and well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Although the location is not much to write home about, this is a very nice hotel. Clean, big and comfy rooms, good service. The surprise for me was the food; much better than your average Mariott. Great business hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I thought the hotel was not good value! I appreciate a nice hotel but found this hotel lacking a little and couldn't quiet put my finger on why!
The gym is nice, parking good, restaurant and bar ok but not wonderful. The hotel is best for conventions, etc. not for the individual patron. Sorry, and I like Marriott hotels!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My young daughter and I had a wonderful stay here. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Everything was first class. Fitness room excellent and Olympic size lap pool. Located in down town Spartanburg and close to malls etc. I stay at a lot of Marriotts and would recommend this one .

• Stayed: July 2013