“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
MO
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We visited relatives in Spartanburg and stayed in this hotel. Didn't, therefore, spend much time on premises or get to try the dining...looked good. Facilities were clean and neat. Nice, large, pleasant room. Staff was friendly and accommodating. One tip is to put 'Spartanburg Marriott' into your iphone map. 'Marriott Spartanburg' will get you to the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Spartanburg Marriott many times, and I have never been disappointed. The rooms are always clean and well-maintained, and the service is always friendly. The bar area has been recently updated, and the outdoor area is absolutely splendid. Some friends and I sat out there and enjoyed live music with our a few nights ago, and it was such a great ambiance!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was in Spartanburg, South Carolina visiting family in the area with my husband. We enjoyed a suite for our anniversary there with a living room, dining area in a private room, bedroom in a private room with a clean huge bathroom, toilet in a private room, and nice shower and tub. The bed was clean and very comfortable. There was central air all throughout the rooms and was very comfortable. The staff was exceptional and kindly accommodated us in a great room with a great view of downtown Spartanburg as requested. This is a nice Marriott hotel, clean rooms, highly recommended and I would not hesitate to return there again when visiting my family there again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors 4 and above have great views of the pool and downtown Spartanburg, es...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Madisonville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nice hotel! Nice spacious room, nice bathroom and very clean. Having free parking was also nice. Only complaint was having to pay for wifi. This is 2012 and I would think that would be standard at ALL hotels. I stayed here for a conference but would have chosen a different hotel had a realized the charge for wifi. Having said that, the staff were wonderful!!! Very professional and very kind. Always passing some staff that greeted me and asked if I needed anything.

Room Tip: I personally thing rooms facing the pool have a better view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Located only a few minutes off of Rt 85, easy to find with gps. Well worth the stay, the hotel is also a convention facility, grand hallways, deluxe rooms , underground parking is easy to access. We were greeted by staff ,explained the facility, and rooms were very adequate . They just spent over a million redoing there bar and restaurant area,and a Starbucks, and stated they were going to start redoing all the rooms. For the price and facility , I enjoyed our stay.. Definitely on my future stay when in the area.. Watch out for the hot Krispy Kreme store across the street..those hot fresh donuts are tempting.

Room Tip: Ask front desk staff for choice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greenville, SC
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed in the Spartanburg Marriott for a wedding. This Marriott presents itself as a resort style hotel, which for the Greenville Spartanburg area is somewhat unusual since tourism is usually event (as opposed to luxury or vacation) related. The hotel itself is situated just off Main Street in the downtown area of Spartanburg. Downtown is only a couple of blocks away and is within a long walk. The downtown area has a number of places to eat if you would like to eat outside the hotel. Wofford College is also within a long walk, though most would choose to drive.

The surrounding area feels and looks safe and I didn’t feel any anxiety about walking by myself in the evening.

The hotel has both a valet and a self parking garage. I never had any trouble finding a parking spot, though it can be a bit of a walk to an elevator. Also, there is a lack of luggage carts, especially in the garage, so if you have significant baggage you should unload at the front door before parking the car in the garage.

The garage itself is dimly lit and is probably the worst thing about the hotel. While I do not believe there are any security concerns with the garage, there are two entrances and exits and the layout and lighting do not promote clear sight lines throughout the garage. This is the only part of the hotel where I felt an unease. Again, I do not believe there were any security issues, but I would have felt better seeing a clear security presence either through hotel personnel roaming or cameras.

In the garage I would not have allowed my girlfriend to walk alone late at night.

The elevators for the parking garage take you directly into the lobby, but since the garage is not under the building you have to cross through the lobby to the far side (behind the center wall) to get to the hotel elevators. This isn’t a problem normally, but if you are carrying heavy bags it can be an inconvenience.

The lobby itself is quite beautiful. It is spacious, open and bright with marble flooring. The lobby feels exactly like a resort hotel. There are even video touch screens for news and events on several walls.

Check in was very fast and easy. They had my Marriott Rewards number on file and took note of my preferences. They asked if I had stayed with them before and then gave me a quick tour around the lobby and pointed me to the elevators. This was very nice of them because without direction it would have taken a while to find the hotel elevators. They are right behind the reception desk on the back side of the wall. You need to walk to the right (or left; the wall is free standing making a hallway “loop”) where the bar and restaurant are located and then make a left behind the wall to see the elevators on the left. (opposite for walking away from the bar which is toward the conference center)

Upon entering the elevator I was told it required my scanning the keycard to select my floor. I did this the first time but soon realized it would select and take me to my floor without the keycard (even late at night). I don’t consider this a security issue as the person would be required to walk directly though the lobby (which is always occupied) to get to the elevators.

Upon reaching the seventh floor the hallways looked normal for a high-rise hotel with short hallways. The hallways had small rights and lefts to avoid really long hallways through the building which helped cut down on hallway and door noise in the room.

The room doors are big, heavy, and secure with standard card locks and deadbolt and backup gate lock.

The room itself had a fair sized HD TV (probably 37 inches) a desk for working, an adjustable task chair, a comfortable chair with ottoman and king sized bed (they also have two queens available). The closet contained hangers and dry cleaning bag, iron and ironing board. The bathroom was well lit, especially the shower which had it’s own light directly above and may be one of the brightest showers I’ve seen. The marble countertop had a coffee maker and various selection of coffees available. There was a hairdryer and standard shampoos and soaps.

The room has its own thermostat but even though the electronic thermostat showed the proper temperature it always seemed warm. I attribute this to the humidity and not the AC. (it was exceptionally humid that weekend)

The window looked like it would open but I did not attempt it.

The room was comfortable as was the bed; and, the massive number of pillows (and pillow types) available was great. Sleeping was easy and pleasant after a long day of wedding photos, dancing and the like.

The only negative I have about the room would be the lack of refrigerator. I knew I would be getting in late the night of the wedding and wanted to have something cold waiting for me. I used the old hotel method of a drink in the ice bucket (ice and vending on every floor) but in this day and age for a high quality hotel there really should be a refrigerator or mini bar. I would have ordered a drink from room service or the bar downstairs but I got in after they closed.

Wireless internet is the biggest scam of high end hotels and it was no different here. Wireless cost $13 per day and there are no free wireless sections in the hotel.

The TV has a number of paid movie and TV show options including adult entertainment if you are into that kind of thing in a hotel. They also have movies still in theaters though you will pay about $18 for them.

The restaurant was very good for breakfast but I did not have any other meals there. The prices are the same in the restaurant as they are for room service (same menu) and I do not know if there is a room service fee. They are standard high end hotel prices (breakfast for $10-$20) but as I said, it was very good and made for a nice start of the day.

The bar area is top notch. They have an excellent selection of liquors and beers and a very nice seating area with a long bar, several high top tables, an “L” shaped sofa around a fireplace and a free pool table. All of this is indoors, but there is also a patio area with many more tables and a lower area next to a fire pit with extremely comfortable chairs. The fire pit and patio area overlook a large open park and make for a very nice view while enjoying a drink or two.

The pool area had ample seating and the pool itself looks like a short course pool (25 meters) with room for three lanes. I heard the pool was great from several friends but I did not experience firsthand.

The hotel also lists a concierge service which I found to be minimal compared to a resort hotel. They can make reservations and point you in good directions, but when the groom forgot his swim trunks there was no way to provide him with any. (I wouldn’t have expected them to normally, but there is a lot of boasting about their concierge services in the paperwork) I would say the concierge is above average for the area, but does not compare to a Ritz-Carlton or similar resort style hotel.

Overall the hotel is very enjoyable both in the room and throughout the hotel. I would say I was pleasantly surprised by the level of hotel for this area and the price. (which is reasonable compared to other higher end hotels but much lower than a resort hotel price) The negatives listed by me above were extremely minor and were included as observations only. The only suggestions I will be making to the management of the hotel are concerning the feeling of security in the parking garage at night and the possible inclusion of refrigerators or mini bars in the room. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in this hotel and if I ever have cause to stay in a hotel in Spartanburg again, I will be staying here.

Room Tip: Elevators and vending are in the center of the hotel floor so low room numbers through 10 and high n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kdog5000
Greenville, SC
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Excellent hotel. While staying, we ate and the Terrace restaurant and loved the atmosphere and food. Great place for a drink and a bite. It is exactly what you would expect from a Marriott. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple