“It could be so much more!”

Rodeway Inn Expo Center
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Spartanburg
Terre Haute, Indiana
“It could be so much more!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is the followup Red Roof Inn review from my Kentucky one. Hubby and I stayed 6 nights at this Spartanburg Red Roof Inn, so I have a pretty good idea of what is and what is lacking in this hotel.
The best asset this hotel has is the staff! Very helpful front desk (Jeannie) and super cleaning crew keep the place going, but only on a shoe string. I am being critical, but not in a mean way, but in a constructive way, so this hotel can prosper, and compete.
We ate the "continental" breakfast twice during this stay. The offerings were sparse: consisted of danish, or those hostess type pecan roll with no icing; two kinds of dry cereal, Raisin Bran on the bottom of the container, with a frosted bran flake poured over the raisin bran to fill the container, and Fruit Loops. There were two bowls of ice, one to hold milk, and the other to hold a gallon container of orange juice. The breakfast area has a juice dispenser, with " Out Of Order" sign taped to the front. Continuing, there is some swill that is offered for coffee, but is probably that chock of nuts or something else. Not good at all. To add injury to the insult, the Coffee Mate liquid quart of creamer is left out, and when dispensed in my cup, fell out of the spicket with a plop.....There is also bread and toast, but I did not see any jellies or butter to accompany.
This hotel is shabby, and has a disheveled look, all because it needs a facility manager. The dining area for breakfast has most ceiling lights out, most table legs have been "fixed" with duct tape, (man thing) and there is no employee assigned to bus tables, and wipe the counter where people fix their food. The trash containers are constantly filled, and overlflowing, and were only emptied on my floor corner once in the 6 nights we were here. There are several lights in the hall and stairwell areas that are out, and would make it difficult for the elderly or even me to navigate at night.
The ice machine simply barely works. Most of the time it was out of ice, and at 8 AM the first morning, I was able to get an ice bucket almost full, after pushing the button at least 25 times.
The pool was fine, and I used it twice. I asked for pool towels, and Jeannie at the front desk had to leave her post and get them for me. The pool does have a green tint, but that is the color of the liner. Finally, the whole place is in desperate need for a makeover, as there is trash, cigarette butts, cups, etc. scattered throughout the property. This place could use a good powerwashing, and then fresh paint would make it look 100% better.
The whole time here, in spite of the trash, I did not see one bug of any kind, and that is due to the supurb cleaning by the maid service.

Room Tip: Room 252! This room is a suite, and is about double the size of the other rooms. This room cost abo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Debster55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We couldn't find a decently priced available hotel room for four in Spartenburg. So we called Red Roof and found them down the road a bit. They were pretty full and would only reserve over the phone with a credt card, no refunds. The sign said they had just reopened, and I wondered why they were closed in the first place. We needed some sleep away from the long road travel and with past good experience with Red RI, we booked. Continental breakfast-simple, McDonalds across the street-typical, unknown-named gas station adjacent, it was adequate. My husband was satisfied with experience. The kids in the small pool were thrilled.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank M M
Frenchburg, Kentucky
Reviewed June 16, 2012

When I travel I usually check on tripadvisor and make reservations ahead of time but I didn't know how far my group wanted to travel so we played it by ear. We picked up a hotelcoupon book and found a Red Roof Inn in Spartanburg, SC that was right off the interstate so we stopped. As we drove by the pool it looked nasty, there were old cars in the parking area. The lobby was dated. I asked to see a room before checking in and I am glad I did. I was given a key to an upper floor....no elevator. I seen suspicious people in and around the property, half dressed woman, men hanging out of the opened motel doors. When I opened the door to the room the odor almost knocked me down. Needless to say I returned the key to the front desk and told them I had decided not to stay. Keep on driving and don't waste your time here. I did not feel safe and it certainly was not clean. When I got home I looked at the Red Roof website...the pictures they show are not the way the hotel looks now. Very misleading.

Room Tip: There is none
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tyme4relaxing

Travelers are raving about these Spartanburg hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The guy when I checked in was friendly, the reservation they had was wrong so it was corrected.I get a call at 6am telling me my card didn't go through so I tell them I will be down at 830am, 831am they are at my door knocking asking for my card. I go to the desk to check a few minutes later and both the hold and permanent charge go through so I don't know what the problem was.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The staff were very friendly. The room was spacious and very clean.

Room Tip: Good breakfast too.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ann S
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My boyfriend & I checked in pre requesting a non smoking room. Well we get all of our stuff up to the 2nd floor(by the way I'm 4 months pregnant ) anyways we get up there and they gave us a smoking room, I called the front desk , the gentleman upgraded our room , but..... We get into the 2nd room for the night & there were 2 full beds with not 1 pillow???? & did I mention the room smell was nasty it smelled like air freshner that was covering up like a mildew or some kind of bad smell , anyways I called the front desk and told the same man that we had no pillows , he said he would bring us some.... Well we waited about 20 min, nobody came , my boyfriend went to the front desk and there was a totally different person there who knew nothing about the pillows the other guy left and told her nothing ... Anyways she scrambled around only to find 2 pillows without pillow cases. Sooo anyways the next day I called and told the manager what happened . He then upgraded that room , we had left for the day came back to find out our phone was broke and there was no remote control for the t.v. And also there was mildew on the ceiling in the bathroom... Oh yeah did I mention I am 4 months pregnant .... Sooo anyways the answer to 3rd times a charm????? NOPE

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Bellaow
maryville tennessee(big orange country)
Reviewed March 1, 2012

some time cheap is not good, sometime cheap means a clean basic room, well this is not the case, the room smelled like cigarettes ,room was ok , but i would not recommend.,the room was cheap,and that is all, it smelled bad.btw my wireless would never connect, they charged my credit card even though i paid cash, finally got the refund. again not recommended,

Room Tip: keep driving up the interstate.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple