“Great Cuban sandwich”

Caribbean Sweetness
Ranked #10 of 324 Restaurants in Spartanburg
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Cuban
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great Cuban sandwich”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The bread is the essential ingredient that makes a great Cuban sandwich and Caribbean Sweetness does a fine job. Perfectly toasted on the bread press, the sandwich was awesome. I was surprised to have found this shop in the area. I truly enjoyed the food, atmosphere and value of the meal. The cortadito coffee was definitely like my grandma used to make at home. I will be back!

• Visited August 2013

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Worst Cuban Food I,ve ever tasted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

It's very difficult to understand why this restaurant is receiving such glowing reviews.
I can only conclude that none of these reviewers have ever experienced really outstanding Cuban cooking.
I lived for 30 years in Tampa - & also spent lots of time in Miami. Tampa / Miami are both blessed with many outstanding Cuban restaurants - lots of fancy places & lots of homey dives ( my fav ). Caribbean Sweetness doesn't come close to competing with the absolute worse Cuban restaurant in Tampa. CS wouldn't stay in biz in Tampa for more than a month.
CS doesn't even know how to cook black beans ( the mainstay of Cuban cooking ) correctly - CS's beans are undercooked, watery and totally devoid of any flavor ( it's like they just opened a can of Progresso black bean soup ! Their rice is undercooked and on a par with Minute Rice.
Plantains are hard & greasy.
The chicken dish that I ordered had no relationship to any chicken dish that I,ve ever experienced at any other Cuban restaurant - boring & watery.
On the other hand - we have personally known the family that owns CS for several years - & they are absolutely wonderful people. That's why it's was so painful to try their restaurant ( thankfully only one visit ) & have to lie to them when we told them that "everything was great".
Sorry for the brutal truth.

• Visited December 2012
8 Thank Speed965
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

In Spartanburg on business and I looked on tripadvisor for a good place to eat. Caribbean Sweetness is by far one of the BEST meals I've ever eaten. This is a quaint little restaurant with excellent service, staff and even better food. I got one of the specials with jerk chicken, plantains, yellow rice and black beans and it was toooo diiieee for!!! If in Spartanburg you will be depriving yourself of a little piece of heaven if you don't dine here! Definitely 5 stars!

1 Thank SDG4U
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Best Cuban I have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times the past 3 years. The food is simply amazing and keeps me coming back. I have tried a lot of cuban food in my life (grew up in South Florida), but nothing beats this restaurant. Gaston, the cook and owner, is very friendly. I recommend the picadillo and the island shrimp.

They happen to have the best expresso in town too- I get the cafe con leche. If you have room left over, get a tarta or a pudding, both of which taste great.

Virginia
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We ate here passing through. It was so very good. We had the jerk chicken with yellow rice, black beans, corn and plantains. Everything was wonderful and the service was great! We would make this a must stop anytime we're near Spartanburg!