“Not quite as i expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Spartanburg
Smithville
“Not quite as i expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

The desk clerk was not the friendliest, the room smelled, the air conditioner barely worked, the hair dryer was lying on the counter and the room was kind of average. With all the commercials advertising you would think you would find a better kept facility. This place is not much more than an economy motel(roach coach).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank lynn38870

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
fairfield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

nice and clean and quite, every thing nearby.friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank stay16
great usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

nice motel,wonderful person at desk.very satisfied with her friendly attitude.nice room.good price for room,good breakfast.will stay there again

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

This is my first and last visit to a Sleep Inn. They always seemed more expensive than other chains and figured they were higher quality than standard economy lodging. I paid $69 and I would expect a clean, quality room in that market for that price.
After a long grueling day of driving I spotted this hotel's sign from the highway. From the exterior is seemed newer and the lobby was being renovated. I asked the night clerk if the rooms were renovated, which he replied they were.
Upon checking into my room, it was large but older. I didn't really care about that but I immediately noticed a chair with a big stain on it. From there it seemed to be non-stop filth and problems. I then noticed all the bath amenities were missing and had to schlep on down to the lobby to get some soap and shampoo. The woman clerk was not apologetic but just handed over the goods. It got worse from there on what I experienced. Here's the list of problems I filled out for the manager the next morning:
-Moldy and stained shower floor
-Lots of mold around the shower drain
-Moldy shower head
-Moldy corners of the top corners of the shower with obvious bug damage
-Stained bathroom floor and not totally cleaned
-Spider webs on light fixture
-Refrigerator froze my food
-Filth covered the towel rings
-Bathroom vanity had a huge crack in it
-Sheets had lots of stains
-Skimpy bath towels had plenty of stains as well
-Most room features, phone, clock-radio etc. were never cleaned from new
-All light switches had bright red lights in them which made for a dazzling light show when trying to sleep
The continental breakfast was about the worst I have seen even for a cheap motel. A paltry selection of pale, anemic breadstuffs, a few industrial cereals, old apples starting to dry out, overripe bananas, Maxwell House coffee and PHONY creamer.
After the manager read this list he did the RIGHT thing and comped my room. I didn't expect this, maybe an adjustment or something but these things need to be addressed and not tolerated by the traveling public. I could forgive some of it if it was a $39-49 room, but not for anything more.

• Liked — Free USAToday
  • Disliked — just about everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Spartanburg hotels

Jacksonville, FL USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

This was our 2nd stay at the Sleep Inn in Spartanburg. We usually stop for 1 night on our way to TN. Easy on and off acess from 26. Quick ck in, and the front desk people were very nice. Rooms were very clean, and reasonably priced. There's a Denny's within walking distance, about 4 blocks, which was great for a late supper, and early morning breakfast. Only draw back is all there smoking rooms are on the 3rd floor. But then I guess these days you're lucky to find a hotel that even has smoking rooms. :-)

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2005

We are a non-profit foundation and were staying at this hotel since it was affordable and close to where we were working. About midnight another guest informed us that our vehicle had been broken into. The supposed hotel security guard had not even noticed the broken window, the glass all over the ground. We lost about $2,500 worth of equipment. The hotel’s attitude was “tough.” No 100% satisfaction guarantee here – the staff was rude, the manager (who is not even in Spartanburg) would never return a phone call, the national Sleep Inn claimed there was nothing they could do –and all we wanted was not to pay for our rooms that evening. In spite of our loss, they demanded their pound of flesh on top of it. We learned from the local police that robbery is a significant threat in this area and that hotels – such as this Sleep Inn – have resisted their requests to install CCTV. This establishment knew of the problem and did nothing beyond hire a worthless and incompetent security "guard."

BEWARE – Sleep Inn will NOT stand behind their guarantee. NEVER stay at this establishment.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2002

My wife and I checked into a smoking room on Saturday. We were attending a wedding in Sparanburg and were not in the room until bed time. I droped my cigarette lighter on the floor between the two beds. When I raised the spread to find my lighter, I was SHOCKED to find a used condom on the carpet. It was late at night and we did not want to try to find another place to stay at that time of night. I checked the other bed in our room very closely. It looked to have fresh linens on the bed so we stayed the night and reported this the very first thing on Sunday morning. Once we talked to the manager she asked what we wanted. We told her the problem. again she aked what we wanted. We asked for a full refund. She turned to the desk clerk and told her to give us a refund. She never once said she was sorry. She seemed to imply that we drove all the way to Spartanburg, S.C. for a free room? There were six couples of the wedding party that stayed there Saturday night. Needless to say. We are very disapointed in the Spartanburg Sleep Inn

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member