“Our Favorite In the Upstate”

Anita's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 120 Restaurants in Simpsonville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 4, 2012

This is our favorite restaurant so consider this VERY biased. We've been going to this restaurant for over 20 years. Don't expect tex mex (fajitas), this IS NOT that. Anita is from central Mexico so it's different. Don't order tacos, they have them but you can do better than that. The Pescado Morelia is the best fish dish available in Simpsonville. If you're looking for something more Americano order the Mexican Pizza with beef. A great light meal is the quesadilla with chicken and mushrooms. We also really like the Chile Fundido with Chicken. Again, don't go expecting the usual #5 or #20 you get at the tex mex restaurant of your choice. You'll be happy if you order with more adventure in mind. (p.s. Don't tell anyone but Kenny will do ceviche if you call one day ahead. Delicioso.

Reviewed December 16, 2011

I was expecting more. Had spoken to friends who said this is the best in the upstate. I hate to disappoint but I have had better prepared and made better at home. My wife ordered a chicken dish, with black beans and a salad. The chicken was like " sweet and sour" which was really not that tasty. I ordered a steak and cheese dish, which I thought was like a steak. Actually it was like overcooked pot roast with pico in a flour tortilla....and then fried. It was then covered with a special cheese sauce. Please dont misunderstand, I am a cheese lover....but I could not eat this. It was so "sticky liquid cheese" it wouldnt release from the plate. I had to send it back! Fortunately, they did replace that dish with a different steak dish....and it was ok. All in all, I doubt I will need to go back to Anitas....sorry to say Coronas or the Guadalajara downtown Greenville has superior food.

2  Thank mrpak5604
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Anita is a charming little mexican food restaurant located in what used to be a house. The atmosphere is nice but a little cramped due to the fact that it is a house. The chips &to salsa are alright but nothing special. My favorite item is the chicken guacamole salad. The chicken and guacamole are very good but they don't put much cheese on it. The staff are friendly. Overall Anita's is a little too expensive for mediocre mexican

1  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Having been to La Fogata, Tequila's and one other Mexican restaurant in the Simpsonville/Greenville area, I have decided that this one is the best so far.

An Arizonan like me makes the initial impression based on one thing: The guacamole. Is it fresh or does it more resemble green slop? Fortunately, the guacamole here is plentiful and fresh, as are the complimentary chips and salsa.

The main courses are varied and also taste very fresh and good. We had the cheese quesadilla (very cheesy) with a beef enchilada and taco combo.

The waitress was also very prompt and did something I wish more restaurants would do: Give you your bill as you're eating, so you can pay sooner and get to the rest of your day faster instead of struggling to flag someone down umpteen times.

The bathroom was clean and spacious.

Definitely a restaurant we'll come back to. It may not beat out my favorite place in Arizona, but it's pretty good for being in South Carolina.

1  Thank james09173