“It sucked”

Days Inn Simpsonville
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Simpsonville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Austin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I booked this hotel for four nights of Memorial Day weekend, based upon lack of bad reviews. My wife and I stayed all four nights (convenient to family members) but I offer caution.

Upon arrival, the desk clerk had trouble finding my reservation. This was resolved in about 5 minutes, but it was the first sign. While I was waiting I noticed a small display holding the manager's business cards with an invitation to contact him should there be any problem. I found this somewhat unsettling, but then my reservation was found, so we were off to the room, which..

Had a very strong smell of a product (name rhymes with Wheeze) used to mask aromas. I hate the smell of this product, and it was very powerful. I used the door as a giant fan to try to get as much fresh air in the room as possible. This aroma permeated my clothing; I wore a suit the next day to a graduation ceremony and I think the person next to me moved away from me because of the odor.

On the second day we arrived in the late afternoon after a very active day to find the bed made but no towels. The trash had not been removed. It is as if the housekeeping staff person had been interrupted in the midst of cleaning our room, and had failed to complete the job. I went to the reception area and asked for some towels. While the receptionist went through the breakfast room to fetch the towels, I followed. And I found dirty laundry laid out on the entire breakfast buffet serving area. Some was even inside the waffle maker! I took a picture which is attached. My wife and I never ate breakfast there again. (In the photo attached, one can see the cereal dispensers. The area in which bread was stored is the clear plexiglas device behind the laundry. You can also see the open waffle iron, with laundry resting inside the waffle iron.)

We also asked that the aroma masking product not be used again. The smell dissipated over the course of four days, but never left the room.

The room itself was clean, as long as you did not look too much at the carpet or the stained chair. The tub and shower curtain were clean.

The staff was friendly.

On those two mornings that we did eat breakfast we found the coffee weak and the offerings uninspiring. For example, the gravy for the biscuits was cold the first morning. I guess it was not someone's job to get it in the crock pot in time to have actual hot gravy at the start of the breakfast hours. Both mornings the milk pitcher was almost empty. The orange substance offered in lieu of orange juice was almost sickeningly sweet. Breakfast did not seem to be very important to the staff.

Which leads me back to the manager's cards. I looked for a card on the morning we checked out, but they had all been taken, and the receptionist could not find any more. I intended to send him a link to this review. The management of this hotel is not actually managing but rather seems rather passive, perhaps merely reacting to problems. I am not sure why a manager of a property would prefer reacting to problems rather than being proactive in staff training and staff preparedness. Quite obviously, the staff had been told to greet people every time the door opened to reception, and my interactions with staff members made me believe that staff wanted to be helpful. But there were very negative signs posted behind the desk (which of course I had time to read at checkin) admonishing staff members not to use their cell phones, etc. Wow...what an impression that made on this guest! Management - look in the mirror in order to see your problem.

This property has the potential for being quite good. Carpets need to be changed out and the use of smelly air fresheners needs to be avoided in favor of having genuinely clean rooms. I think the staff really wants to be part of a successful operation.

My stay was a price-based decision which will not be repeated when we return to the area in November.

Avoid!

Room Tip: A good room would be found in another hotel...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank k5tm
Pelzer
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked a room for two nights for Memorial Day weekend. I had called prior to making my reservation to inquire if the pool was open and was told yes it was. When we arrived, the pool was not open. We were put in a room that had a huge tear in the carpet in front of the TV, visible as you walk in the door. And it was a big spot! I have stayed at this place many times in the past, but I was not happy with my recent stay. We checked out a day early and they gladly refunded my card.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpsonville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Greenville Simpsonville
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#3 of 7 in Simpsonville
WoodSpring Suites Greenville Simpsonville
Hampton Inn Greenville I-385 - Woodruff Rd.

Been to Days Inn Simpsonville? Share your experiences!