“A good alternative to hotels on I-95 in Santee, SC”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Clark's Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santee
Clark's Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Santee
Jupiter, Florida
“A good alternative to hotels on I-95 in Santee, SC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

Stayed here in Santee on our way down to Florida and thought the hotel to be a good alternative to staying right on I-95. Friendly location, OK rooms and restaurant. It was clear that many guests are return customers, either stopping overnight on their way up/down, golfing or fishing on the nearby lake. This hotel met our needs and provided a sense of the gracious SC hospitality.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Socks349

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

My wife, father and law, and brother in law have stayed at Clarks for 4 yrs now on our yearly winter golf outing. It is consistently good every time: clean rooms, everything works, staff is friendly, and the restaurant is perfect for us. It's nice to get a decent home cooked meal that is a major step up from chain fare (I have had the seafood pasta, the seared tuna, the half roasted chicken--all excellent). And they make a good, non-watered down cocktail as well!! Breakfast is outstanding too.

It's nice to support a local, tradition rich place in a world that has been invaded by chains everywhere you look.

Clarks hasn't let us down yet and we look forward to returning in a few weeks!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank ohiohackers
Grasonville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

This year we decided to upgrade from our normal budget motel and give Clark’s a try. We had plans for drinks and dinner there anyway. Check in was fast and the clerk was very nice. We opted for a room that faces the parking lot so we could see our car. The only rooms left were on the second floor, we were given room 238. First thing I noticed was the clean carpet, I’m sure the no pet rule helps this. The second was the book shelf with some very nice books. They have free Wi-FI. The dinner was great and the bed was very comfortable. The only drawbacks I can see was that the deadbolt on the door did not function very well and at 8AM my shower took a while to heat up. $77 and change a night.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cranky64
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

We splurged for a suite that was clean and comfortable. Dinner in the cozy restaurant was a delight compared to the typical I-95 corridor fare. There is a new Holiday Inn next door that will undoubtedly hurt this little gem of a motel, which is a shame. It is a true American classic!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RichmondRoadtripper
Long Beach Island, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

On a recommendation from another Northeast to South Florida traveler, we stopped to stay an overnight at Clark's (South Carolina Interstate-95 N or S - Exit 98 - 150 yards from the exit ramps) rather than the usual Hampton, Holiday, or Comfort Inns -- or a room at the the myriad chain hotels in the mid-way stretch along I-95 from nearby Florence (65 miles north of Santee with thousands of rooms), SC to Pooler, GA at the furthest point south (near Savannah). We were satisfied with everything. And the price of the room was right!

The price we were given at the desk by the friendly, smiling girl at the check-in lobby desk was more reasonable than we expected after viewing / booking through internet sites we checked out before leaving the Northeast that day. Yes, we walked in to Clark's Inn on a Friday evening in mid-March 2009 at about 8:00 PM as we stopped driving for the day to secure a decent room for the night, appropriate for we two 50-somethings. Never again will we pay the usual $99 to $149 for a room in Florence or Pooler. (We NEVER consider the low-cost stick-carpeted and dicey Motel 6's or Knights Inns, nor any cheap places of that ilk.) For an extra few bucks (12 per person, I think), each day Clark's provides an apparently bountiful breakfast smorgasbord at their adjacent restaurant, but we declined as we just wanted the complimentary coffee as we prefer leaving early after checking-out to get a few hours under our belts on I-95 beginning at sunrise, anyway. The point is, of course, to sleep quietly and comfortably so that the next day's drive is timed well and we are fresh and alert for another day on the interstates and freeways of the "snowbirds". The friendly young woman at the reception desk was very helpful and seemed truly to want us to be satisfied with the accomadations, get a good night's rest, find an appropriate place to catch a meal,

For approximately $75 (included taxes - we asked for AARP or AAA rates) for two occupants we had a second-floor room that was perfect for travelers stopping for an overnight along I-95. We don't need a suite. We could care less about a pool, or a fitness center, or any of the other cost-inflating amenities. The room did provide a small cube refrigerator, though.

The room was certainly big enough, clean, seemed quite fresh, i.e., had no smoking odor, carpets clean, comfortable double queen beds, 27 or 30 " TV with free basic local (Weather Channel is most important) cable in a bookcase (with some real books - giving it a "homey" look and feel you cannot find in the chains), a clean tiled bathroom with a decent tub/shower with plenty of warm water, the obligatory hair dryer and iron, ironing board, soaps and shampoo, and the ever-important adequate supply of white, nice soft towels, etc. We could see our vehicle from the room ... which is an added "must" as we seek a place where our packed car/SUV will seem secure from snoopers. The only "negative" I can think of is that the heating/airconditioning unit was noisy, but at least it's a white noise which covered the noises of other guests which may have been heard otherwise. At the desk we were given a choice of facing the interstate or the parking area on the second floor. Perhaps the rooms on the other side are less desirable, I don't know. Overall, this Clark's Inn, provided us a clean, comfortable, homey room which seemed safe, and was reasonable and relatively quiet for a good night's rest after driving for hours and hours.

By the way, the adjacent restaurant is excellent for dinner ... and is the best restaurant in Santee, in our opinion. Any others that rate higher (on this site) are rated so by menfolks that seem to be traveling not with their spouses or families, but in male bonding groups for golf outings in the SC area with other middle-aged seekers of getaways that seem to like loud, smoky sports and "hooters" type bars and eateries nearby facilities for full services to completion. We checked out these other two places to eat dinner and have a drink, looked inside both, looked at their menus, and promptly beat a hasty retreat back to the restaurant at Clark's to enjoy a classy, tasty, reasonably-priced Southern-style meal. (See the review I left at this site for Clark's Restaurant in Santee.)

So, I agree with the I-95 travelers' good reviews that indicate that Clark's is the best value and the best room for stopping along I-95 in South Carolina.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rwa
Jersey Shore, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

A friend recommended Clarks Inn. He had stayed there a few times and a great time. I called them while I was about 40 miles north on 95 heading to Florida in a steady rain to see if they had a room. The receptionist took my name (didn't even ask for a credit card), and said see you in about an hour. Good thing I called, because as I was checking in, she took a call and told the caller they were booked up. I said your really booked? She said yes. " Good thing you called when you did".
The room on the second floor was surprisingly cleaner then some of the rooms I've gotten at Harris in Atlantic City.
So now I go to the restaurant for dinner and sit at the bar. Kerry the bartender was busy, but took my order with a smile. The lobster bisque was good, and the chicken fingers were excellent. Fresh & juicy, not frozen chicken, and fried just right.
Overall, a pleasant time. Chatted with a bunch of golfers at the bar that were staying at Clarks and they always stay there for the golf packages they have.
Next morning I took off for Florida knowing I found a new place to stay on my drive south.

• Liked — Clean room, good food, great price, and a couple hundred yards from 95.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank jetsfan1
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

We always stay at Clarks when we travel I-95 from VA to Jacksonville or back. We have always found it to be a delightfully different stop from the major chains. We have always had wonderful breakfasts, which are actually fit for a diabetic, or low carb dieter to eat. The chains are a diabetic, carb disaster in a plastic bowl or paper plate.

The idiosyncracies, like charging by the ten minutes for the computer or troubles with reservations, price quotes, etc., are part of traveling, unfortunately. They can happen anywhere and nobody is happy when they do. We have only had one customer service problem here, which was a clerk who misspelled our name, lost our reservation in the computer, rudely refused to admit it and only backed down when I produced the reservation number from the car ( although she tried to tell me it was from a different place). NOT.
However, after a written letter to her supervisor, I was given a complete refund.

I just made a reservation for my daughter and son-in-law for a couple of weeks from now and about choked on my tea when I realized how much the price has gone up, although I'm sure, comparatively speaking, it is still one of the best bargains on I-95.

• Liked — The bed and breakfast option, the room appointments, the comfort factor
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family