“The Hairiest, Stickiest, and Most Disgusting Place I've Ever Stayed!”
Review of Holiday Inn Santee

Holiday Inn Santee
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Santee
Baltimore, Maryland
“The Hairiest, Stickiest, and Most Disgusting Place I've Ever Stayed!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled from New Jersey to Florida in late December to early January. We mistakenly booked this dump as our hotel for on our way to Florida and for on our way back from Florida as a midway stop.

The first room we stayed in, the bathroom had so much hair in it I'm pretty sure you could have made a wig out of it. I counted exactly 15 hairs in there! The caulk around the toilet was peeling off. There was mold growing on various places in the bathroom.

The room and bed had random stains and smells and the mini fridge and microwave were sticky and unclean.

I hoped that our second night here (coming back from Florida) would be better. As soon as I went to the bathroom I knew that was not going to happen. This time I counted 9 hairs (of various lengths, sizes, and colors). There were small brown stains on the door. The towels, some of which had stains, smelled as if they hadn't been washed, just thrown in the dryer.

The microwave had the same stickiness as the one in the previous room, the mirrors has fingerprints, there was dust and dirt on the tables.

It's not about this place being outdated as fixtures can be 100 years old and clean. It's about this place being very dirty. As a customer if I can see the hair, stains, fingerprints, dirt, and stickiness, so should the hotel staff.

Lastly, as an IHG member with over 15,000 points, this is not the kind of experience I would expect from any Holiday Inn. On our next trip to Florida, we will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank TracyVegan
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for these inconveniences that you encountered during your stays with us. I would like to discuss this situation further with you so please contact the directly at your earlirest convenience. 803-854-9800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We chose the hotel as a middle-way from Ft Lauderdale to Washington DC with the kids. The hotel was clean and tidy and the general room accommodations were adequate. In my case though, there was a problem with the toilet and we requested a plunger that was never delivered....no clue what happened there. The breakfast was really really basic, zero frills (variety). The area is super devoid of meal options so treat this as a true stopover - nothing but fast food joints and not like a good selection either.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your family to your satisfaction and I want to apologize that the plunger was not brought up to you as requested as well that there was a problem with the toilet in the first place.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel with IHG rewards points because we needed a layover on our drive from DC to Florida and were traveling with our pet. Bottom line....TERRIBLE! I was charged $167.00 on my CC (even though I used points to stay) after I had checked out and had to call to get the charge removed. Overall, other than the lobby area, the hotel was very dirty and unkept with large sticky stains everywhere and garbage cans overflowing. The room was average, I really enjoyed the TV stand made from untreated 2x4s, yes two pieces of 2x4 lumber that leaned to the left by 15 degrees. I personally think I wasted my points on this Holiday Inn as there are many in the IHG chain that are not like this. I was very disappointed from this experience, will never be back and will not recommend!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. I want to apologize that you did not find our facility to your expectations and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I will insure that we take the necessary steps to fix these problems.
Hobe Sound, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Hotel facility is excellent. Restaurant breakfast leaves much to be desired. One drawback is the noise from the elevators when you stay in one of the rooms (201; 203; 301; 303) located near elevators.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you found our rooms comfortable. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I'm sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant and have forwarded your comments to our General and Food & Beverage Managers.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

it was late when i found this gem. we were both exhausted from the long drive and needed rest. this place was found right after the horrid one in Yemassee (best western ) point south. without even having to ask the concierge put us in what i thought was a regular but spacious room. it turns out that it was actually a fully equipped ADA room. the bathroom was totally set up for it with the double shower head, the seat, the handles and even the full curtain to the flat floor. there were handles by the toilet too. i even mentioned the horrid one to the woman at check-in and she was amazed that no one at that motel even tried to be helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I'm glad to know that we were able to go beyond your expectations even after having a bad experience at another property. We look forward to accommodating you on your future travels!
Clarion, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have always stayed in Holiday inns, but this hotel is making us rethink our hotels! First thing we noticed was how outdated the rooms were. Very old, ceiling cracked, even a cracked window in our room! No water pressure. The toilet takes 15 minutes to refill. We complained about the water pressure, and we're told it was a problem the whole town has. The rooms were filthy. The shower had mold growing in it, and lots of hair covering the walls. The "heated" pool was freezing, as was the pool room. We asked the front desk to turn up the heat in the room, and was told by a maintence guy that the room does not have heat vents. The pool was to cold to swim in, which was disappointing, as that was the only reason we picked that hotel vs the other hotels in the area. Very disappointing compared to other holiday inns we've stayed in.

• Stayed October 2013
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not what you come to expect from Holiday Inn. According to DHEC regulations, we are only allowed to have the temperature of the pool at 82 degrees and it is checked regularly. I also want to let you know that we are planning a major remodel and hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

After leaving a previous hotel due to multiple issues (that was in Charleston), realized that all other hotels in the area were booked and the Santee Holiday Inn was the closest hotel we could find at 10PM. It was worth the drive. The hotel lobby is spacious and clean. Staff were friendly. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable and the hotel was nice and quiet. We ate breakfast in the morning in the hotel restaurant and had a decent buffet and it was free for the kids. Overall, was pleasantly pleased and would go back to this hotel anytime.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HotelStaff S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Santee, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. I'm glad we were able to accomodate you and make your stay with us pleasant and comfortable. I will also pass on your comments to our restaurant manager about breakfast and hope you will think of us for your future travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santee
Hampton Inn Santee
#12 of 13 in Santee
Hampton Inn Manning
Hampton Inn Manning
#1 of 7 in Manning

Been to Holiday Inn Santee? Share your experiences!