“The old gray mule ain't what she used to be”
Review of Shoney's of Santee - CLOSED

Shoney's of Santee
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My family and I decided to forgo our free breakfast at our hotel and venture out to eat at Shoney's. The eggs tasted like powder with no flavor at all. The bacon was under cook and not crispy. The hash browns were just chopped up French fries with no onions or seasonings. They also had what looked like puréed sausage; however, it was liver pudding. Yuck! That is a first. I am so glad I asked what it was before I put it on my plate. The wait staff was nice and friendly but I still would not return to this particular Shoney's when I return to Santee for a stop over. I think that I will try the Clark's Family Inn or the local Cracker Barrel.

1  Thank bkhd

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very friendly staff but old/out of date building. A shame since everybody is so nice but the food bar has a lot of improvements needed in comparison to other nearby Shoneys. If ordering from the menu, I've always had good food and no complaints.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Good Shoney's food. Good service. Good variety (but not as much as Florence SC or Walterboro SC or Slidell LA.) No complaints; but we were flabbergasted at the .25 per glass charge for a glass of water (I was thirsty and you gave me a drink.) Note to the manager: shame, shame. Water should be free!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My companion ordered 'wild caught salmon' - the only non-fried fish on the menu. We couldn't verify if it was wild, but we were pretty sure it wasn't salmon. Our guess was escolar??? a cheap salmon/tuna look-alike.
The meal came with a side dish and she chose rice pilaf. Actually it was cooked rice and salt mixed with seasoning salt.
My fish and chips was deep fried salt with some fish stuffing inside. The portion was so small our server apologized and had the manager cook some more.
Meals come with a trip to the salad bar. That was OK but my companion is still waiting for the tomatoes that were promised.
Now I know why the Cracker Barrel around the corner had a lineup of folk waiting to be seated.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The tomato soup and salad bar were both delicious. There was a great looking "fish night" bar with many varieties of seafood options. Inexpensive, but good.