“Pretty Good”

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Santee
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stopped here on our way to FL from Baltimore. We had a coupon from a discount hotel book. We called from the highway to see if they had a wheelchair accessible room. The receptionist was a very friendly India/Indian girl. For $45 we got a nice accessible room with all the amenities I need in my chair. It was quiet and close to restaurants and stores. All within walking distance if you don't feel like driving. There was no charge or issue with my 10# service animal.

Room Tip: breakfast is from 6-9am
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tessmarica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Waterville, New York
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Actually, our room and bathroom were clean enough and well-equipped with towels and amenities. There is a nice restaurant across the street and a Dollar Store adjacent to the property. This was handy for restocking our bottled water, and a few snacks.
The parking was convenient and check-in was fast and efficient.
We chose this motel for two reasons; price (discounted with coupon) and convenience. It was on our route and midway to our destination. We were not expecting too much from this chain, but it suited our purpose.

Caveat- WIFI service was complicated and slow. The night manager was confrontational when I commented on the poor WIFI connection.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I booked a night here to break up my travel between FL and NC. When I checked in the receptionist was as nice as can be, and even called as soon as I got to the room make sure everything was OK. It was a good thing she called almost immediately after I walked in.

I don't have very high expectations at all for a 1 star hotel. Clean room, and a bed. The beds were made, but I could tell from the numerous long hairs in the sheets that they weren't cleaned (I have short blonde hair... these certainly weren't mine). The bathroom had some body hair in the shower/around the toilet. I don't expect 100% cleanliness, but 4-5 all around? No.

I thought maybe I was lucky when I saw what I thought was a ladybug on the bathroom mirror. Nope, baby roach. Killed it and saw 3-4 more throughout the night.

The TV channel guide they had printed said they had showtime, when they did not. Not a huge deal, they had hbo.

Like I said. I'm not expecting a 5 star experience from a one star hotel. But I couldn't sleep easily wondering about the roaches/cleanliness of the apartment. I wasn't too comfortable leaving my car parked outside. The property itself was alright, but random AC units were falling apart and rusting. I value my sleep highly, and it was not easy to get a sound night of sleep here because of all the external issues.

*NOT ABOUT THE HOTEL, ABOUT SANTEE*
There's nothing here. Good place to get gas/lunch? Sure. Not a good place to spend the night. Limited eating options for more than one meal. I don't know where the almost 25% hotel tax goes, but it's certainly not to Santee. If you're going South, keep on driving to Savannah. North? Florence is not too far either.

*Not about either, but the state itself*
I can't buy a beer in a gas station on Sunday? Prohibition ended. I am more than willing to spend my money to support your economy, but you won't let me purchase one of the most heavily taxed items available?

Room Tip: Go north to Florence or South to Savannah.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed here one night on our trip to Northern VA. We didn't have reservations and didn't know where we were going to stay so we just stopped by. The desk clerk was friendly. She quoted a price and asked if we were members of any clubs (AAA, AARP, etc.) so we got an AARP discount which was nice. The room was clean Towels were nice - good water pressure in the shower. There was a small refrigerator and microwave, a coffee maker - none of which we used. We took advantage of their breakfast next morning and it was very well done and well stocked. Free USA today was a nice touch. Overall, we would stay here again. The pool out back looked inviting but we didn't use it but saw a few people enjoying it. On the down side, The inserts were lumpy and I prefer a thin blanket instead of a large, lumpy coverlet. Also. I didn't find the mattress all that comfy, either. I slept nice- maybe it was me. After spending hours and hours riding in a car it could be that I was just sore anyway.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed March 5, 2012

After a long night of driving with the family we pulled off to find a hotel to sleep in for a few hours. All our choices were sold out. This was the last place I wanted to stay but we ended up having no choice. I decided i would be positive and give the brand a hopeful experience this time. We got a room and proceeded to lay our sleeping kids down. The first thing we noticed was the carpet looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed in over two weeks. My husband proceeded to take a shower but before he could we noticed multiple hairs in the tub, in all corners of the floor, multiple unmentionable hair on the toilet seat as well. No housekeeper would have missed that if they actually cleaned the room. I called the front desk, he didn't say ANytHiNG but "ok I have more keys for you" what the heck is that! We went to another room an now it's 3am, husband goes to shower and there was one hand towel and one washcloth. Smh. It was to late to even bother with the desk he wouldn't have cared anyways. Luckily we brought two towels we dug them out of the bottom of our trunk. The next morning I turned in the keys and the same man was there, no apology, no nothing. Lack of cleanliness lack of sercice and lack of good hospitality comes from poor management. Get it together Howard Johnson your just keeping the horrible stereotype alive!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Margaret A
Hobe Sound, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2012

A bit hard to find because GPS was incorrect but worth the search. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2012
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Great place to stay at for I-95 travelers. I stayed at howard johnson on my way back home to Miami with my wife. The rooms was in our price range..just what we were looking for, the rooms were very clean and comfortable with Micro, fridge, WIFI and breakfast. .The motel is close to alot of resaurants. The frontdesk clerks were very polite and friendly. Would def. stay again on my future trips.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santee
Howard Johnson Inn Santee
#4 of 13 in Santee
Peach Tree Inn
Peach Tree Inn
#1 of 9 in Saint George

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!