“Disappointing meal”

Maurices Gourmet Barbeque
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Santee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We traveled 20 miles one way to eat dinner at this restaurant because we have eaten there many times and had a good meal. When we arrived at 7:15 PM I went to the counter to order. The cashier came up and asked me what she could help me with. I ordered a cheeseburger and was stopped mid-sentence. "Our grill is closed".....I asked what time they closed and was told 8 PM. That was 45 minutes from the time I began my order. I was told they had to clean the grill before they could leave. I asked why don't they just close earlier if they close the grill.....no answer and no apology for not serving us. There were other 2 or 3 other diners in the restaurant that had already ordered and were eating. We left and went next door to The Cracker Barrel for dinner.

1  Thank Peggy P

Reviewed June 20, 2014

If traveling through on 95, be forewarned that BBQ in SC is mustard based and not the traditional BBQ most that are not from the region would expect. There is nothing wrong with it, just putting that out there so you are not taken by surprise.
We stopped for dinner, knowing what SC BBQ is, and ordered a rib dinner and a chicken dinner. It was a Wednesday evening and we were the only ones there. In fact the staff was sitting outside smoking when we pulled in. It is not a fancy place by any means. We elected to use the drive thru because we were pressed for time. After ordering we pulled to the window and immediately notices a hand written sign that said "No Refunds". That made me hesitant, but I figured it was most likely because the Yankees passing through were not expecting mustard based BBQ.
With our meals we opted for fires with one, cole slaw with the other, and hash with both.
The chicken dinner was all white meat and the serving size was adequate. It had fair smokey flavor but was very, very dry (maybe because it was a slow night?). It would not come close to making my list of good BBQ.
The ribs were very tender and falling off the bone. They had a deep smokey flavor, and while mustard based BBQ is not my favorite I would rate the ribs as very good and would be happy to have them served to me again.
The sides were far from anything to write home about. The fries were fries, neither good nor bad, just fries. The cole slaw was fair, nothing special. The hash.......not sure how to describe it or even what it was. I assume it was some kind of mushed pork stuff. It looked very much like fresh baby poop over rice. The taste and texture was something that I think you would have to become accustom too. It had an odd flavor that I just can't describe. I hesitate to say it was bad because it seems to be popular, but I hope to never have to eat it again.
All in all the ribs were the only good thing about this place. Way over priced and the service was poor. Overall I was disappointed and would not return.

1  Thank badbullgator
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The BBQ pork sandwich was great and the mustard based sauce made it outstanding! Counter ordering and help yourself drinks add to the laid back style of the place. Nothing fancy here. Just good food, great sauces, and, friendly service.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I loved everything!! Mustard base BBQ (but not too strong on the mustard). The fried okra was awesome and mac and cheese was homemade and outstanding. We had fun trying the different sauces. It's not a fancy place but clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. I'll be back!

1  Thank Ang_10
Reviewed May 9, 2014

The Bessenger family tradition is in good form here. Home cooked BBQ, chicken and wonderful Southern sides

Been to Maurices Gourmet Barbeque? Share your experiences!