“Good Fish”

Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Santee
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Food was good. Blackened was spicy but not overly so. Broiled fish came out NOT swimming in butter. Sweet potatoes were excellent. Condiments were served in covered plastic cups -- cheesey! Service was attentive and prompt. Prices ranged from $10.95 for pasta up to $20-something.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Ate there twice at end of December. Probably best restaurant in Santee. Had the salt and pepper catfish first night, which was just OK. Had the lobster and fillet on New Years Eve. It was very good. Service was prompt.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western next door (reviewed separately), and since we didn't want to sit in the car one more minute today, we decided to walk over to Captain's Quarters for dinner. I did a quick check on Trip Advisor, and the reviews were mostly positive with a few mumbles, so we walked next door, expecting a mediocre meal. Wrong.

The atmosphere was so relaxing. I know, I know, there were some grumblings on TA about the noise. So not true. For a basically seafood restaurant, this one was positively subdued. We come from a town known for its seafood restaurants and know what we're talking about. The restaurant was full by 6 PM, and it was still very pleasant. It boasts white tablecloths, subdued lighting, pleasant décor, efficient service and quiet conversation.

Now for the food. There were a few remarks on TA involving Red Lobster quality food. What? Not even close! The first and maybe the most important point, the food came out HOT. I can’t remember when the last time was that food arrived at our table steaming hot, but here it did, and in record time, too. For goodness sake, we had to wait for it to cool a bit!

We shared fried green tomatoes for an appetizer, and boy, were they good. As I said, they were steaming hot, the breading was thin and crisp, and the tomatoes were firm and very tasty. Not your usual soggy breading and limp tomatoes. Beyond a doubt, they were the best I’ve ever had. I wish I had gotten a full order of my own along with a salad and stopped at that. They were that good. But I also ordered the broiled scallops, which were perfect. Nicely broiled, tender, perfectly seasoned, and once again, hot, hot, hot. Hubby ordered the flounder and shrimp combo, which he also found to be excellent.

Our server, Pamela, made the whole experience very special. We’d been on the road all day and were dragging. Up to our table comes Pamela, all perky and ready to see we enjoyed our dinner. Our drinks arrived in jig time “because I know you need it.” Pamela was a master multi-tasker. She recited the specials, listened to and responded to our questions with a smile and witty retorts and kept an eye on her other customers all at once, and still seemed to give us her full attention. That’s a real gift. There have been some comments about the “old” servers. Well, give me Pamela, who is not old by any means, but neither does she sport numerous piercing, and say “like” a dozen times in each sentence and shift her weight in annoyance to our hesitation in ordering. She is genuinely interested in her customers, patient, and is totally efficient at the same time. Thanks, Pamela.

Since this restaurant obviously thrives on travelers, where repeat business is rare, and yet invests its energy into providing top shelf customer service in addition to a decent meal in a nice setting, it gets five stars in my book, and I will purposely arrange our travel arrangements to visit it again on our trips up and down I-95. Keep the food hot Captains Quarters!

1  Thank AKLover
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had made a reservation at this new to us restaurant based on previous reviews. When it became apparent that traffic snarls on 95 would make us late, I called to let them know and set a new time, but when we arrived, we were seated at a tiny table in the traffic pattern from the kitchen.
Out waitress was wonderful and helpful - almost too much so. We had only taken a sip of our wine when salads were plunked down. We had only begun to eat them when our entrees arrived.
I ordered the flounder and shrimp, grilled, and when it arrived it was coated in Cajun spices - definitely not what I wanted. When the waitress came by to see how everything was, my husband told her about the hot spices on my fish. She argued that it was just paprika, but a passing waitress said that it was the Cajun spice. Our waitress offered to replace the dinner and I asked for a few fried shrimp with no spice. When she came back, she brought a saucer with a
few fried shrimp - the rest of my uneaten meal was gone.
My husband's fried oysters were done perfectly, but the salads were limp and mediocre.
All in all, a very mixed bag: some excellent food, some inedible, service fast/too fast, reservations seem to be taken to mean "put them at the worst table". The restaurant was very nicely decorated for the season and divided into small open 'rooms' which made it much quieter and more intimate, but the extremely bright lighting erased any romance factor. The woman at the door seemed disinterested in our arrival, but we did get a warm welcome from our waitress.
We will try some of the other restaurants along 95 when we come back through.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I were staying at a Wyndham Resort in Santee, a small town about 45-minites inland from Charleston. One of the local restaurants, recommended by the staff at Wyndham was Captain's Quarters. We went our second night at the resort and enjoyed is so much we went back a second night our last night in Santee. The first night we started with a dozen raw oysters and then had the Mixed Grouper Grill and the Mixed Mahi-Mahi Grill. The Grills were excellent, but the oysters were just so-so. We had a nice, and very reasonable bottle of Semi Chardonnay. Even though the oysters were not great, the grilled fish was good enough to bring us back. The second night we had Crab Stuffed Grouper and Shrimp Oscar with a very nice bottle of Toasted Head Sauvignon Blanc. The meal was excellent. Atmosphere is homey and friendly but not fancy. Lots of locals. Prices were reasonable. If we are ever back in Santee, we'll certainly give Captain's Quarters a visit.

Been to Captains Quarters? Share your experiences!