“Staff is great.”

Howard Johnson Inn Santee
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Santee
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We checked in to this hotel on 6/1/13 stayed for 7 nights. My family and I couldn't have asked for anything better. The staff was really friendly, we were checked in by the manager Mr. Patel very nice person gave us opinion on some good places to eat. The breakfast everything we were looking for, I didn't have to go to a iHop or McDonalds to enjoy breakfast. By far nicest place to stay in Santee. The rates for very reasonable. No complaints.

Room Tip: IF your looking for a quiet clean environment consider this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Neal P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Santee, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear, John J
We Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson Santee. We are Pleased to hear your stay at our hotel was marvelous. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our rise and dine breakfast. Again we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Howard Johnson Santee and Hope to see you in the near future!
Neal Patel-GM
Gaston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ater booking on line for My wife and I's 36 wedding anniversary, we arrived on June 21st to find the pool (a major selling point for us) was out of service. No mention of this was given before boking room.Was informed from a young person at the front desk,who kept telling me how sorry he was, that the pool would be clean by July 4th. Booked a non-smoking room, Found cigarette burns in bed linen and on the bath tub. On the last day of our stay, The cleaning lady tried to come into the room while my wife and were still asleep.Good thing we had the door bolted.Very Bad experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Neal P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Santee, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are very sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced on this particular visit. As always, we will continue to have our hotel inspected on a regular basis and we will immediately act on even the slightest concerns of our guests so that if a problem arises, we can take care of the situation immediately.
In addition, we have shared your feedback about the tub stains of your room with our management team and our housekeeping team. We strive to offer exceptionally clean accommodations to each and every one of our guests and the situation described above certainly does not live up to those high standards. We have taken appropriate measures to improve the overall experience for our hotel guests and we hope that you will come back to see us again in the future so that we can provide the excellent accommodations and customer service that you and all of our guests deserve.
Neal Patel-
GM
Melbourne Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 22, 2013

After driving for 8 hours, we looked for a place to stop and sleep. Howard Johnson use to be a great place. Well, not this one. The room really had a badsmell. we asked for non-smoking room, but when you opened the door, it smelled. After turning on the AC, we thought that would help. We left to go eat and came back and thought it was ok. It was not. anything that was on the bed absorded the odor, including my night gown. I could not put it in my suitcase for fear it would make the rest of my clothes smell. I put it and my husband's night clothes in a plastic bag until we culd get home. they went straight into the laundry. We will never stay at another Howard Johnson again.

Room Tip: If it smells when you open the door, go request your money back and go somewhere else. that is what...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear, Kathy C
In addition, we have shared your feedback about the cleanliness/Odor of your room with our management team and our housekeeping team. We strive to offer exceptionally clean accommodations to each and every one of our guests and the situation described above certainly does not live up to those high standards. We have taken appropriate measures to improve the overall experience for our hotel guests and we hope that you will come back to see us again in the future so that we can provide the excellent accommodations and customer service that you and all of our guests deserve.
Neal Patel-
GM
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I saw a pretty mixed bag of reviews for this hotel at this site, so I was a little worried when I first checked in. I really didn't need to, however. Check-in was fast, pleasant and efficient. The desk clerks I dealt with were each all kinds of polite and friendly, and actively looking for an opportunity to help me with something. The check-in clerk was quick to point out to me that, unfortunately, the swimming pool was "down". He didn't want me to see a running pool and expect to take a dip. What amused me was that at the end of check-in, he proudly told me that my room has a great view overlooking the pool.

Rooms appear to be recently renovated, with plenty of outlets available for the people who have stuff to charge (and who doesn't?). No kidding; I counted four easily accessible outlets in the (single King bed) room and only one plug was taken up by an existing fixture.

The TV in my room was tube-style; at first the picture was really poor but after a minute or so it settled into something more acceptable. The channel guide provided had pretty much nothing to do with what was actually on the TV. Which is worse, no channel guide or useless channel guide? I'm calling that one a draw. There was a decent number of channels available, although I would have appreciated more news outlets. That's a minor quibble, though.

The bathroom is the older split-style (sink outside, toilet and tub inside), but was also in great shape and had the typical accoutrements (soap, shampoo, lotion, hair dryer). The room had a refrigerator and microwave oven. There was not a coffee maker in the room, presumably because coffee was available in the lobby? I don't know; I'm a tea drinker. At any rate, despite the microwave, cups for hot beverages were not available in my room but they are available in the lobby.

There's a continental breakfast available in the lobby in the morning: two kinds of juices, milk, regular and decaf coffee, tea, stuff to toast, hot and cold cereal and a waffle iron. There may be another option or two but that's all I remember off the top of my head. The one disappointment for me was there wasn't any fresh fruit available. Again, not a huge deal. The lobby wasn't especially busy when I visited, but from the layout I can see where there could be some serious traffic problems if a lot of people are there at one time.

The hotel is located almost literally in the center of everything at this exit. As a result it's pretty much walking distance (or a VERY short drive) to many places to eat, including a Cracker Barrel that's literally next door. It should be noted that the HoJo is a little tough to see from the main road, because it's set back on a side road. You'll have to keep your eyes open to spot it once you get off the Interstate (or use a GPS; come on people, it's the 21st Century).

At any rate, this exit and this hotel was a nice little stopping point for my Baltimore-to-Tampa trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Claude C
Neal P, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Santee, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
We thank you for your stay and hope to see you in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santee
Best Western Plus Santee Inn
#12 of 13 in Santee
Days Inn Orangeburg South
Days Inn Orangeburg South
#10 of 19 in Orangeburg

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Santee? Share your experiences!