“Excellent Choice”

Howard Johnson Inn Santee
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Santee
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

The boy at the desk was super polite on the phone and in person. He matched the Priceline price and saved me almost $20. He was about to charge $10 for my service animal when I stated that this was against the ADA. He put me on hold to confirm with someone else. He didn't mention the dog again when he got back with me. I really wish facilities would train employees on the Americans with Disabilities Act. I asked for a double, bottom floor, non-smoking room for my disabled husband. As soon as we opened the door, the stench of cigarette smoke permeated the room. This was NOT a non smoking room. There were cigarette burns on the tub next to the toilet. My husband has lung cancer. We were too tired to find another room. My husband gagged and wheezed all night inhaling the smokiness and stale BO smell of the room. No goodnight sleep for us. The comforters had an odor like they hadn't been washed. The breakfast was very clean with crispy, yummy waffles, cereal, juice, and breads. Coffee sucked though. Oh, my husband mentioned to the girl at the desk (morning) that the room was terrible for a lung cancer patient. She just said "sorry"....never offering to call a manager. I am now typing this at an Emergency Room listening to my disabled husband wheeze and cough waiting for a breathing treatment. Thanks HoJo.

• Stayed March 2013
Neal P, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Santee, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear, Mfbilan
Thank you for your feedback we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comforable and friendly accomodations. We appereciate your kind comments on our Rise and Dine Breakfast and Aaron Wilson Our Day Clerk. However we apologize for your room having a smoke odor to it and the lack of empathy that was shown to you at check out. I understand this is unacceptable and the issues will be addressed. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how fresh and clean our great our hotel is.
Neal Patel
Roslyn
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The room was okay, except none of the room decor matched. The bathroom was not clean and the tub and surround were old and worn out (pasted together). The towels were small and sparse. The sheets were ill fitting and the mattress pad was for a single bed with a lumpy strap in the middle of the bed under the sheet. I thought in the 21st century ALL hotel rooms had coffee makers!!!??? Not this one! The pool had about 12 inches of green scummy water in it right outside our room, yuck!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Neal P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Santee, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear, Janice T
I would like to start out by thanking you for your stay and feedback. I was working the night of your check in and you did come to me about the bed pad it was the correct fit it just wasn't straped on properly. I would like to apologize about the other inconviences you had in your room but i wish you had brought these to my attention we would have addresed them while you were at the hotel. We do provide premium cofee and tea in our lobby 24/7 and the hotel is upgrading to more amenities we will be adding new alarm clocks/radios/mp3plugin, cofee makers, a brand new bedding package, and a few other amenities. The pool is closed due to the season but will be open soon. The pollen that drifted into the pool was cleaned and filtered out. Again we thank you for your feedback and hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you next time your in the area or just passing by.
Neal Patel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santee
Hampton Inn Santee
#12 of 13 in Santee
Days Inn Summerton
Days Inn Summerton
#1 of 2 in Summerton

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Santee? Share your experiences!