“Good Gullah food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Sullivan's Island, South Carolina
“Good Gullah food”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We detoured to St. Helena Island on our way to Hilton Head to try this place. It was a unique experience: Unpretentious setting in an old building, friendly but slow paced service, and food that was authentic and good, but not the best Gullah cuisine we've ever tried. We had the shrimp gumbo and the lowcounty crab soup dinner that came with collard greens and potato salad. Also tried the red rice, one of our favorites from this part of the world. Everything was tasty. I think the crab soup was the winner, but there was nothing here that will immediately draw us back again.

2 Thank Mavmed

Ironton, Ohio
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try this place out. Its kinda like eating in someones home, dont expect the service to be quick and dont expect refills.the food was pretty good (comfort food) but dont be tricked by anyone saying "you wanna taste this?" If you taste it, you get charged for it! It was an experience.

Chicago, Illinois
“More like ordinary over priced grub!”
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We wanted to experience some gullah cuisine. So we journeyed to St Helena Island, where we were told that a large gullah community existed.
The first restaraunt we found, that was advertised as a gullah restaraunt appeared to be all white. (I am under the assumption that the gullah are black). The next restaraunt was closed, but there was a woman with a buffet set up in front. She wanted $10 a plate, but because her whole set up was outside a closed establishment, I had second thoughts. And after further inquiry we were led to Gullah Grub. The place was a house that they converted to a restaraunt. It took me a long time to choose something on the menu. First because of the prices, and second because there was nothing that peaked my interest. I don't know exactly what comprises gullah cuisine, but I didnt see anything that was different. The seafood dishes appeared to be like louisiana cuisine. I ended up settling for an $8.99 chicken dinner that comprised a leg quarter that was a little bigger than a cornish hen leg quarter and a spoon full of potato salad and a pirce of corn bread. I was extremely dissappointed and felt like it was a huge waste of money. I should have known better when I didnt see any gullah natives there.
If there is a true gullah cuisine, its not there.

1 Thank jdublu
Port Angeles, Washington
“Don't miss this one!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I found a review of this restaurant in a food magazine and determined that I would find it when in South Carolina...Bill Green is the owner and chef, and he is teaching his son to cook in the Gullah tradition. If you can, be sure to find Bill himself, and chat with him a few minutes...a great experience you won't forget. You will remember the "Swamp Water"!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank charles305
Evanston, Illinois
“A Gullah Cooking Experience”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

While visiting Penn Center, top your trip off by eating at Gullah Grub. The staff is family and you are served like you are too! The ribs I had with collard greens and red rice were smoked to perfection and fell off the bone. The creole was also delicious but the ribs!!!- to die for.
Local artwork worth purchasing is displayed everywhere. See what Authentic Gullah Cooking is about
and enjoy the beauty and culture of this historic island.

1 Thank Marsha3312