“Like Visiting Another World, Another Time”
Review of Fort Fremont

Fort Fremont
Reviewed June 30, 2016

Think Mayan Tulum, the Forest Moon of Endor & The Planet of the Apes all bundled up. Why this hasn't been used as a filming location for a horror or sci-fi movie is beyond me.
At first glance, such a creepy space. I'll admit the heebie jeebies never went away. Perhaps due to the proximity to the famed paranormal Lands End Light? At any rate, the space itself is perfectly safe, just come prepared to climb, with water, bugspray and a light in tow.
Completed by 1899, Fort Fremont was part of the coastal defenses built around the US at the time of the Spanish American War. Obsolete by the time of its construction, the fort was abandoned by 1921 after use as a quarantine station. It remains one of only 2 remaining Span- Am sites extant in the country, and was the last refuelling station for the USS Maine prior to being destroyed in the Havana harbor.
It's a lovely place, dark and wondrous. If you're visiting St. Helena, I strongly recommend a visit.
As an insider's tip, if you time it correctly, a quick visit to the nearby beach will allow a lovely view of the sunset over the Beaufort River. Driving back after dark, who Knows? You may indeed spot the Lands End Light hovering above the road, following you...

All reviews
"well worth the visit"
"photo ops"
"my sister"

Reviewed May 17, 2016

This was a wonderful find for us to take our cub scouts to. We all enjoyed exploring the abandoned rooms & the beach front behind it was an extra surprise. Its out in the middle of no where and wasn't busy at all. There's no price to get in, which was also great. There was enough parking for us all to meet up (6 families) with some to spare. We'd like to go back.

1  Thank Faith N
Reviewed May 11, 2016 via mobile

I am a complete nerd when it comes to history and abandoned places. So naturally I jumped on the opportunity to visit an abandoned fort. It's definitely worth the time to stop and take a look of you share my interests in history. I plan on revisiting on my next trip to Hunting Island

Reviewed May 11, 2016

I enjoyed visiting this site as exploring old abandoned buildings is a draw for me. You do need to watch for wildlife (snakes, birds, lizards, frogs). I happened to see a copperhead just inside one of the doorways so it made me extra cautious.
It's shame that some punks decided to put graffiti all over the walls inside but that will happen when the place isn't really watched over.
The trees growing over the top of the old fort make a beautiful canopy but I couldn't quite capture it right with my camera.
The beach out back is small but quaint. As this place becomes more popular I can see it being very crowded there.
Also ... dear pet owners. Pick up your dog poop as avoiding landmines is not a fun way to hike around this small park.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 28, 2016 via mobile

I really enjoyed the 30 minute walk through the fort area. This was a new piece of history for me, especially seeing how recently the fort was in use. Although there were signs explaining the history, I had to go on line to get the broad view. There was little on site to explain what we were seeing. The structure was impressive, and the guns that were there then must have been impressive. The stone and concrete battlements need some railings to prevent children and others not watching where they are walking from falling over. The site has much potential if someone would help it along. We really enjoyed driving through the local community. Beautiful area.

IslandWebwitch, Manager at Fort Fremont, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2016

We're glad you saw the two signs. The Friends of Fort Fremont and Beaufort County are working now to improve visitors' experience. We will soon have an Interpretive Center, and address safety concerns, as well as increase signage to better explain what is here. We just had a clean-up day and try to keep informative brochures at the sign inside the gate. I'm glad you found our website, too.