“Bella Luna is Wonderful!”
Review of Bella Luna

Bella Luna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In the historic Frogmore district of St. Helena Island. Reservations not required, but suggested for large parties. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dine in or take out. Featuring locally grown produce and locally caught seafood.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We moved to Lady's Island a few months ago, didn't have any luck finding good Italian food in the Beaufort area.....We went to Bella Luna because a waitress at another restaurant suggested it......So glad we took her advice, the pizza is yummy, we ordered the thin and crispy crust, it was just perfect....the sauce is very good with just the right amount of seasoning....I love roasted garlic on my pizza, it's not a menu item but they were so awesome and put it on for me, my sister had eggplant parm and it was also very good. We finished the meal with cannolli's and they were AWESOME!!.....We had an amazing waiter named Jeff, he is and awesome guy and gave our table the right amount of attention, he knew the menu and was there to please!....I will be going back!!!

2  Thank Brenda S

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Having moved to the area less then 4 months ago from the northeast, where a good Italian eatery isn't hard to find, i found myself struggling to find a warm, inviting, homey Italian place to indulge in. On a whim, myself and some family members decided on Bella Luna on St. Helena's Island as it's not far from home.

Upon entering the eatery, we were warmly greeted and seated. The place was a bit empty, the decor a bit kitschy, but inviting. Our server, Jeff, was warm and engaging and knowledgeable regarding the specials and menu items. We arrived between lunch and dinner so we were offered both menus. The menu's had standard fair, and offered a very nice assortment of appetizers, pizza, sandwiches, and the other usual items.

Both pizza (thin crust is offered) and my eggplant parm where extremely good, and i am picky about red sauce. Jeff was attentive and his service was excellent. Also, the dessert menu is vast and made or finished by the server...a very good dining experience will keep me and my friends and family returning to enjoy more from this little gem.

1  Thank Corinne R
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I went with another couple for dinner the other night. The men ordered the wings. One ordered his wings with "bbq" sauce, while the other ordered the "hot" sauce. The bbg wings tasted like the sauce came out of a bottle off of a store shelf. The hot wing sauce though, was quite good. I ordered the italian wedding soup. SKIP this. Mine smelled rancid as soon as it was set down in front me. So I asked the server to return it back to the kitchen.

For our entrees, my husband ordered the spaghetti with meat sauce, while I ordered the shrimp and grits. My husband said the sauce was entirely too thick, but the flavor was good. The noodles got lost in all the sauce. It seemed more like the noodles were a side item and the meat sauce was meant to be on the plate by itself. My food was excellent. The shrimp were large and cooked perfectly, as were the grits. The sauce was exceptional with just the right amount of spice, peppers and onions.

The other couple ordered a supreme pizza and the ravioli. He enjoyed his pizza, but said he wouldn't likely order it again. She thought the pasta was delicious but with only 5 pillows of pasta, she was extremely disappointed with the cost of the meal, compared to the portion. For dessert, I ordered a cappucino with the grandmother cake. Both were DIVINE! There was also a chocolate cake amd some sort of cream cake ordered by the others, but neither of those were any where close to tasting as good as mine. Overall, the service was fantastic. The restaurant is a bit small and although it was quite chilly outside, they seemed to have a problem with the heat and the restaurant was a bit too cool to truly relax and enjoy the food.

I would suggest the shrimp and grits, the hot wings and the ravioli...pass on the spaghetti, pizza, bbq wings and the italian wedding soup, but absolutely end your meal with the cappucino and grandmother's cake.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Recently moved to the area and have been to Bella Luna a number of times. All I can say is each and every visit has been wonderful. The food is excellent. The specials are unbelievable. The lasagna is great and 'huge'. Jeff is phenomenal. He is there to please. Excellent server, really knows how to sell the menu and provides excellent guidance on what you are looking for. I hope Bella Luna knows what a great asset he is!
Bella Luna is one of our favorites and looks to be a hidden little gem.

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We didn't even make it in the restaurant before someone was begging us for a few dollars for "gas". Definitely not a good neighborhood . Corner of MLK Drive . We probably should have just left then but decided to go in anyway . As we got close to the entrance we were greeted by a smoke cloud of people that we later realized were the owners and kitchen staff hanging out on cigarette break . They were there when we left as well. We had dressed up thinking this was upscale Italian food but realized it was more like a diner than a restaurant . Service was slow and food wasn't anything that great and overpriced in our opinion. We won't be back.

1  Thank honeysg8