“Worth a Visit”

$60.00*
and up
Historic Sea Island Plantation and Lowcountry Life Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: A significant African-American institution in the United States, its mission is to preserve the Sea Islands' history, culture and environment.
Falmouth, MA
156 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 258 helpful votes
“Worth a Visit”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm a bit surprised about the very negative reviews. My wife and I visited recently and spent about an hour walking around the grounds and visiting the museum. A short film was informative about the history and significance of the Penn Center. The museum, although static, did give a sense of what it was like to be a freed slave and what the early days of the Penn School were like. I had never heard of the place until we visited the low country and I found the history fascinating.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Mikeb1Falmouth_MA

Beaufort, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I thought this would be a site of the Penn School and buildings. Unfortunately most of those were lost in a hurricane so what is there are building "like" what might have existed. The museum is a static display of some artifacts "like" might have been used and large posters with biographies of noted black leaders, whether they came from the are or not. It was not what I expected or hoped it would be.

Visited May 2012
Beaufort, South Carolina
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“African-American History Spot”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Go back in time to a school built for newly released slaves who learned farming, fishing, housekeeping, cooking, gardening, and more. 100 years later Martin Luther King came there to work on a famous speech.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Susan J
CT
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“we expected a lot more”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

According to what we read in tourist info, we thought there would be a way to visit this historic site and understand its significance. Instead there was nothing posted and no one to explain anything. If anyone else managed a good visit, we hope to read about it.

Visited February 2013
Freeport, Maine, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A New Place for Me”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had never even heard of the Gullahs and yet when we were visiting a nearby island we went there and loved the explanation and all of the wonderful art. Just an education in itself for most of us.

We visited in Feb or 2011 but that is not on the list so I've put Feb 2012 which is wrong! ! !

Visited February 2012