“I was almost arrested!”

Charanda Mexican Grill
Ranked #18 of 295 Restaurants in Rock Hill
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Let me preface this by saying there was no bigger Charanda's fan than me. Great food. It’s in shooting distance from the job. Great times. Then I met the manager. This dude had to be the worst manager I’ve seen in any establishment dealing with the public at any level of any business. The following is a true story:
Friday August 17th, 2012
My coworkers and I are preparing for our weekly Friday lunch outing and someone says “let’s go to Charanda’s. ……… has never been there. She’ll love it”. That’s’ all it took. We were on our way. Someone then says maybe we should call ahead and place our orders seeing as how we’ve never been able to show up and order during our lunch hour, receive our food in a timely manner, and eat comfortably. Who knows? Maybe now the food’s ready about the time we arrive, and we still have the majority of our hour and can enjoy each other’s company.
Great idea. Then we meet Eric (yes I said his name). Eric shows up at the table and immediately goes on about how we made a to go order and broke some policy because there was no way he was going to allow us to use a table being that should have been used by his dine in customers. Eric says he’s not kicking us out but we couldn’t sit there (never figured out what the difference was but okay). After three minutes of being lectured on his company policies, we figured this is not going well. My response was since the appetite was wrecked and there was no way I was going to pay this dude ten dollars following this performance, I decided to take my business elsewhere. I’m not eating in the car. Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Nobody asked for a to go order, but Eric has made it clear what he wants. At this point, we’re ready to chalk it up. Hey. You win some. You lose some. No need in this going any further and escalating. AS a manager myself, I probably would have allowed my clientele to eat regardless of policy. I probably would have just mentioned that this was done wrong, but hey, you guys know next time. I’m not Eric though.
That became painfully apparent as I was preparing to leave. Eric tells me that I made an order and if I was not going to pay for that order, then he would call the police. The police? Folks I’m not going to take any more of your time. I think you have a pretty good inclination of how I’m feeling about Charanda’s in Fort Mill, South Carolina. All I can say is eat well, be happy, and as for charanda’s, I’ll pass.

P.S. Just because I made an order doesn’t mean I need to pay for that order, especially if I’m not satisfied with the service.

There are newer reviews for Charanda Mexican Grill

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were taken by a local to this restuarant. Outstanding!! My family and I loved it. Staff was great. Food was outstanding and well worth the price.

I will be visiting again..

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The restaurant is clean and nice looking. Those are the only nice things I can say.
I've eaten there twice, and twice the service has been non existent, both times had to go to the hostess station to get beyond the menu stage. Both times drink refills never happened, glass sat empty the rest of the night. Food was cold and this last time my taco salad was a watery runny glob of gluey tortilla at the bottom. How do you mess up a taco salad? From now on when I want Mexican, I'll go to Charlotte and Monterey's.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Frozen margarita's were the worst I have ever had! They use an Oasis machine and the "frozen" margarita's" are NOT frozen at all! I love frozen margarita's and I could not even drink what they served. Mostly liquid...and the "frozen" was ice crystals stuck in my straw!!! Not happy at all! and they really didn't care if their frozen margaritas were sub-par!!!!!! Food was ok - no better than any other mexcican restaurant I have eaten at. Not sure what the other diners had, but I have had better mexican food, better service (couldn't speak good english) and have DEFINITELY had better margaritas!!! I had water with my meal...not what I wanted :(

Reviewed June 14, 2012

It isn't very obvious to find. You have to turn off the main street, go past Lowe's and look at the end of Ia kind of strip mall with a big supermarket..
This restaurant is much nicer in appearance inside than most medium price Mexican eateries. The dining area is very attractive inside. They also have some nice outdoor tables on the side. The only thing I don't like is the loud music.
The waitstaff is always very attentive and efficient and pleasant.
The ladies' restroom is a little crummy.
We have eaten there many times. I always get the same thing, Taquitos Dorados. There are four of them, and I get 2 chicken and 2 beef. This is one of my favorite tex-mex dishes, and I order it everywhere, but the ones at this restaurant are the best. They come with lots of rice, a little salad with some guacamole, and a dipping sauce of some sort, I think it has cilantro. My husband usually gets an enchilada dish he likes a lot, or else fajitas, but today he got chicken mole, which was really MEDIOCRE. The chicken was flavorless and so was the sauce, and he had indigestion afterward. So I would avoid that, if I were you.
I would love to try the interesting sounding cheesecake dessert they list, but I'm always too full.