“terrible hotel, terrible service”

Holiday Inn Rock Hill
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Rock Hill
New York City, New York
“terrible hotel, terrible service”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I would strongly recommend that guests avoid this hotel at all costs. While the facilities are themselves standard Holiday Inn fare, the customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. They summarily canceled our hotel reservation w because they claim the credit card did not go through, After initially claiming that they did not attempt to contact me first because they did not have my contact details, they subsequently admitted that they did in fact have my phone and email but that the staff person made a mistake in not attempting to contact me. While mistakes are happen, the worst part was the staff's attitude: no apology, no understanding, no offer to help find another hotel. Instead, the Front Dest Manager Randy Ahluwalia of this family run Holiday Inn was disrespectful and surly, showing no concern whatsoever, merely announcing that he had canceled my reservations and that they had no rooms and i and my kids had to leave, even though we were there with our track team and had confirmed our reservations over a month ago. When i asked to speak to a manager, he said his manager was the police and actually called the police rather than apologize for canceling my reservation and trying to make amends. The police were courteous and promptly left when i explained the situation to them. Honestly, i expect better service from the Holiday Inn brand, and will ask their corporate office to investigate this incident and review the training and service of the staff here. In the meanwhile, i would suggest those checking out this site to stay at any of the lovely comparable hotels nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank slwjosh123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were so lucky to find this hotel just when we were ready to stop for the night. Recently renovated, the lobby is well-appointed and the rooms are updated, handsome, and well-designed. But the crowning achievement was the on-site restaurant, "Kem's." We enjoyed an exquisite chef's special sea bass dish that was outstanding. This chef deserves his own TV show. He personally visited our table and shared his recipes with us. We could not have enjoyed our dinner more. Be sure to check out this hidden gem just off I-77.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

After being totally ignored by Expedia, Randy and Yumary, management at the Holiday Inn, took the time to understand my predicament, went to bat for me at Expedia and when Expedia refused to help in any way, did their best to make amends by giving me enough Holiday Inn reward points for a free night stay at any Holiday Inn, a complimentary full breakfast buffet and then an extended check out on Sunday. Plus, the rooms were extremely comfortable and CLEAN. I will look forward to again staying at a Holiday Inn and I will NEVER again book a room through Expedia. I remain grateful to Randy and Yumary for their kindness to me and my family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and found it to be a very enjoyable stay. I did request early check in and while the desk check appeared eager to tell me that was not possible everything after that was exceptional. I meet with the manager about my room arrangement and he was very professional and worked with me to resolved a reservation problem. I have been staying at a number of hotels over the past few years on business trips and have found the Holiday Inn to be one of the the most pleasurable establishments. The staff show a true concern for my comfort and I will look for a Holiday Inn on my future travels. Thanks to the manager at your hotel and the staff in the restaurant and bar I am planning a trip next month and will look to stay at another Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Belleville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is one of the newer hotels, and is very nicely decorated. The lobby is impressive, and so is the room. We had a two double bed room on the 4th floor. It was very nicely appointed and very quiet. The bed was so comfortable that our wake-up call was the maid tapping on the door at 9AM.

The hotel restaurant was a little pricey for dinner, so we ate at the nearby Longhorn (very tasty). We did have breakfast at the hotel restaurant. My wife had the buffet which had a very nice selection of items to choose from, and our waitress, Jessica, offered to fry my wife some eggs if she didn't want thte scrambled eggs on the buffet table. I decided to have the Southern Eggs Benedict (country ham instead of Canadian bacon, finely sliced red peppers, and a slice of fried green tomato). When the Jessica brought my dish, she said she "didn't think it was supposed to look this way". The eggs, while poached, were a little overdone and sat separate from everything else. The waitress apologized for the absence of the green tomato as well as the way the dish was put together and told me I would not be charged and could help myself to the buffet if I wished.

I hope that the hotel and restaurant realize what a treasure Jessica is. She has a wonderful personality, and quickly recognized the problem with my dish and resolved it more than satisfactorily before it registered on me that there was a problem. Because of Jessica I would make a point of returning to this restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was looking for a hotel which was in the Charlotte area and close to I-77, but far enough away from that road that I would not hear any traffic noises. This hotel fits the bill, as it is a short drive from Exit 79, but is far enough away that you don't hear any I-77 traffic. It is close to the Galleria mall, but the two closest anchor store locations there are empty, so you don't have to worry about any mall noise either.

The hotel is almost brand new, and everything still seems new and clean. We had an executive king room, which had a separate sitting area and wet bar (oddly, the TV was directly across from the bed, and not across from the sofa in the sitting area). The regular king rooms would be on the small side without the sitting area.

The one thing I did not like about the room was the bathroom. It had only a shower (albeit a very big one), with no tub. I have bad legs, and like to relax in a tub, but couldn't do it at the Holiday Inn. Also, for some reason, HI is putting the bathroom sink in the same room with the toilet in all of its new hotels. That is fine if there is only one person in the room, but with two people it is a big help to have the sink outside of the room that contains the toilet. Also, the only real place to put used bath towels is in slots in the wooden vanity under the sink - this is another fault shared by other new Holiday Inns.

The hotel has a restaurant. It has a morning buffet, but it is not part of the hotel room charge. I think the buffet was $13.00, but we ordered pancakes via room service. I must complement the kitchen and room service for everything they did. We originally ordered delivery for 8:30, but we were running early and called down to see if delivery could be moved up to 8:15. They said yes, and the food arrived precisely at 8:15. Not only that, but the pancakes were wonderful. We had just come from eating breakfast for a week at the Captain's Grille at Disney's Yacht Club, and the pancakes at the Holiday Inn Rock Hill were much bigger, tastier, and more full of blueberries than any pncakes that we had eaten at the Captain's Grille. Also, the Captain's Grille often overcooked the pancakes, while the Holiday Inn's pancakes were a beautiful golden brown.

Room Tip: Get an executive king room if you want to have space to spread out.