“Not Up To CHOICE HOTEL GROUP Standards”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Rock Hill
Tampa, Florida
“Not Up To CHOICE HOTEL GROUP Standards”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Desk Clerk at Check Out told me this location has just been sold and new Ownership was taking over. He stated they know the place needs work and that it will be done under the new Ownership.

Well I hope they do, because this review is not a good one. Every review I submit is factual and evidence based. Photos are worth a thousand words.

So here are the good points.
Free Wireless that delivered 5.81Mbps download and 1.4Mbps upload. (Speedtest Photo provided)That's fast enough to do your e-mail and generally be productive. It's not fast enough for your kids to stream a movie but compared to the Hyatt I was at the week before this speed was Screaming.

The nasty old bathtub and enclosure you will see in some other reviews of this location has been redone with one of those shiny Tubfitter Enclosure systems. The nasty is probably buried underneath but for my time there, I had a shiny new tub and shower.

They have a pretty decent 32" flat screen TV with HBO and the picture clarity was decent.

My room was generally clean, and I looked closely for bugs based on another reviewers comments. I found no bugs, of any type.

Here's the bad. I have provided a total of 9 photos taken during my stay that illustrate what I encountered.

In short this location needs to be totally refurbished. It is beat, worn out and just plain nasty. Perhaps the worst part of what happens maintenance wise here is that the work they do is of such poor quality that it's like throwing money down the drain. The ceiling in the bathroom is hard plaster and has an access hatch where they have fixed long standing leaks. The problem is that by the time they fixed the leaks the whole ceiling was shot and rather than put in a new ceiling they stuck an access hatch in the sagging and rotting ceiling. (See the photos). The bathroom had an odor. That odor came from the rotting ceiling. It's not the housekeepers fault, this is a serious management issue.

The rooms are seriously underwired and do not meet current building code. When this place is upgraded this must be fixed. (See photo)

They must have hired someone to paint the room in the dark because this mess is beyond bad. (See the photo)

I was alone on this business trip and made do for the night. It was quiet and I was up early the next day looking for the standard Choice Hotel Group Breakfast. Sadly they do not serve it here. Instead they have greasy sausage gravy and biscuits. The Coffee Pots were empty and the Breakfast Area was unattended. When asked, the desk clerk immediately came over and started to make more Coffee. That took 20 minutes and seriously irritated a number of guests who need that cup of Joe to start their day. (I call that sort of thing being clueless)

It's pretty clear the word has spread about this place. It looked to me like their occupancy the night of July 16th was about 18%.

Look at the photos and judge for yourself regarding what I reported.

They say they will make improvements. Let's hope they do because with an occupancy rate that low in the middle of Summer you can't cover operating costs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MBVPHASE6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We reserved a pet friendly room directly with the hotel. Both the girl who took the reservation and checked us in were very nice and helpful. The property is right off the highway with easy on and off access.. We weren't overly impressed with the appearance or overall clean feel to the property but it was not a terribly horrible bug filled place, just older and in need of some updating.. The rooms on the ground floor have sliding glass patio doors that opened making it very convenient to walk our dog. We didn't hear much outside noise and got a good night's sleep.. Air conditioner worked fine and wasn't overly noisy either.. Price was less than we have paid for rooms North of Charlotte in the past. There is a Jack in the Box right next door.. I had never ate at one before so we went there and grabbed some sandwiches to eat it the room.. TV was older but worked fine. We weren't real thrilled with the breakfast bar in the morning.and just grabbed coffees to go.. Overall it was ok place to stop and rest after getting through the mountains and the Charlotte traffic..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Middleburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Dogs barked until 1 in the morning, Bathrooms downstairs were filfty,Stairs and carpet was filfty and the whole place is in need of remolding. Smoke filled hall ways even though it is a smoke free hotel. I have nothing good to say about this quality Inn and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Rock Hill hotels

FORT MILL
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is my pick when I travel to the Rock Hill SC area. Room is clean. Room with hot tub has spoiled me!!!! ! Staff is very nice. Hotel is generally quiet. Breakfast has good variety. Thumbs up ya'll !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Byron, Georgia
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel is ancient, but that should not constitute a less than reputable hotel. We had no problem checking inn, but the rooms were... interesting. Our bathroom had mold and mildew under the sink and on the ceiling. The carpet was filthy in the halls, and stained in some portions of the rooms as well. The guests adjacent to us had a dog that barked ALL NIGHT (and pet friendly rooms were not disclosed either). My wife slept in a small corner of the bed, and wouldn't move. We usually don't review chain hotels unless the experience is... well... bad. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Simply go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rock Hill
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The motel was conveniently located at the interstate exit. The receptionist was friendly and efficient. The buildings were in need of immediate attention. The hallways were dingy. All they needed was a lick of paint. The room had been improved lately. The bedding was extremely clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had been updated but the expel air didn't work and the room was already getting mildew. The tv was not set correctly and was useless. The breakfast was all carbs,and useless for me with diabetes the coffee was wonderful.... The best thing about the motel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Caledonia, Ohio
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I am at the Quality Inn, now... we make a point of stopping here every year (for the past three years), both on our way to and from Florida.
This is one of our favorite places to stay. The desk employees are friendly and helpful... the rooms are modest but VERY clean... and the Waffle House a few doors down has some of the best service, ever.
Yes, the walls are a bit thin, and sound carries. However, the staff has always been great about spacing us out a bit from our neighbors, it seems, because we haven't really had any problems with that. The water is heavily chlorinated, but I notice that in almost every place we stop in the Carolinas. Other than that, we have NO complaints. We know we will sleep comfortably, at a great price and in a clean room, and that we can looking forward to doing so again when we head back to Ohio.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family