“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

East Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

Rented a cabin here since wanted a cheaper vacation this year but still wanted a day at the beach. Stayed in cabin 5, which is on the end with nothing beside it so very private. You could barely even see the one next to it. I thought it was adorable. Remember this is a state park not the Hilton, so don't expect luxury. It's basic and small. I personally thought it was a perfect size. The central air worked great, maybe too great, glad I brought a throw! There are also ceiling fans in all rooms and the screened porch. It is rustic, all wood throughout, and what looked like laminate wood floors. Some of the floors were a little uneven. The bathroom has no tub but at least a nice and very clean shower with a hand held shower. Limited river view due to all the trees. Bring DVD's...the tv has Dish network and basically only got the Food and weather channel. Loved the park itself. There is a beach area where you can access the river to swim or put a canoe in or something. Also a nice playground area. One thing I was disappointed in was the one hiking trail there....its called river bluff or something but you are only by the river a very short while then it parallels a road. Then it comes out where you have to walk all the back on the park road. You have to drive to Summerville for grocery stores or restaurants, but it's not far. We went to Isle of Palms for the day which took maybe an hour or less. I would go back and would rent the same cabin. PS I tried to book it online but it wouln't let me book weekdays....it said weekend days only...I called 2 different number and finally got the ok that it can be booked through the week.

Visited July 2011
5 Thank mtngrl05

Timberlake NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sleepless Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

Campground was nice. Restrooms clean and well lighted. Space was a nice size. View of river was obstructed by trees & bushes but still pretty. Staff was friendly and helpful. I felt safe there too which is important.
BUT, the other campers were rude to put it mildly. One group had visitors all night (gate was suppose to be closed) and they partied all night. Another site had three dogs that barked & growled all night as though they were being attacked. Seriously, the dogs barked about every 30 minutes all night. Another site was cooking a pig on a large "pig cooker". They split fire wood until 5 am. Everytime they opened and closed the pig cooker it echoed loudly through the whole campground.
I do think the park attendant should have driven through and stopped some of the noise. I have camped for 52 years and have never encountered this amount of noise in a public or private campground. Very disappointing! I think I slept maybe 3 hours in 10 minute encrements.

1 Thank Bibilynne
South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very inexpensive comfortable cabin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We recently stayed in at Givhan's Ferry State Park in cabin #4. The cabin was clean, linens were provided, and the cabin had excellent air conditioning. The only problem that we had was bats in the chimney....and by the end of the week we knew their schedule...out by 8:00ish p.m. and in by 6:00 a.m. This was kind of creepy at night to hear the bats, but we pushed the fire screen over the fireplace and felt pretty safe. The kids thought the bat sounds were kind of neat....mommy didn't. This was a great getaway for a little R&R; however, we didn't realize it would take approximately an hour to get to downtown Charleston. Summerville was relatively close and offered several restaurants and grocery stores. Givhan's Ferry was pretty neat. Being on the Edisto River was quite enjoyable. The cypress trees and Spanish moss were beautiful, very southern and charming.

5 Thank carolinawren444
Kansas City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Nice, quiet campground”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

We stayed two nights in our Airstream trailer at Givhans Ferry. It's a very pretty, quiet little campground with clean sites. The bathrooms have showers and toilets which are fairly spare but workable. And the park even has recycling bins. The rangers were friendly and helpful and provided us with a code to the gate since we arrived very late. Scenic site on the Edisto River -- lots of people playing in the water. Surprisingly, few bugs and snakes!

1 Thank dondod
Arlington, VA
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Sterile and noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

As cabins go, these are fairly lacking in any rustic charm. Ours had linolium floors and paneled walls. I did peak in the window of Cabin #5 and it was considerably better than ours (#4) so maybe we just got unlucky. The view of the Edisto River is nice and the park is pretty, but Hwy 17 runs a stone's throw away from the cabins and the logging trucks thunder up and down the road from 9-5 pretty much blocking out the sounds of nature. The kitchen could not have been more sparsely furnished so bring everything you think you'll need to cook. I do agree with others that the price is right and the location to Charleston and other local sites is great.

3 Thank VAsokrmom