“Worst place we've ever stayed!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Ridgeland
Williamston
“Worst place we've ever stayed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place was literally the worst motel room I have ever in my life stayed in! It was horrible...it was dirty and nasty and I was praying we wouldn't get bed bugs. In addition the man at the front desk was barely able to understand or speak English. We couldn't get our key cards to work, so we went back to the front desk. The guy walked back to the room with us, and he couldn't get them to work, either, so he used his master key to open the door. Then he informed us in broken English that since we would only be sleeping there, that we wouldn't need room keys, and told us to use the lock bar to hold the door open if we had a need to leave the room! Unbelievable! If it was up to me, I'd have left and tried to find some other place, but my husband said we probably wouldn't be able to find anything else this time of year on I-95, so we stayed. The carpet was dirty and frayed. The bathroom was filthy--the toilet bowl had black scum in it, the floor had dead bugs and trash, the walls had peeling paint and mold--just sickening, a nightmare of a room. The only positive was that the sheets did seem clean and smell clean, thankfully, so we slept there, but couldn't wait to get out of there first thing in the morning! Whatever you do, DON'T ever stay at the Econo Lodge on I-95 at the Ridgeland, SC exit!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We wanted a reasonably priced hotel off of 95, but when other lower end hotels wanted $100 and this Econolodge charged only $40, we should have known something was wrong.

Pros: no bedbugs, right off of 95, $40 a night, and free wifi

Cons: we felt it necessary to check for bedbugs; the bathroom had dirty floors, a used shower cap hanging up, and we didn't want to sit on the toilet; the walls were cracked and looked to be falling apart; the daytime owners were terribly rude and never said a word to us (when I said "hello" to the woman behind the front desk, she just have me a dirty look and the man checking me out was making an obviously personal call; he also refused to speak to me); the free breakfast had spoiled items and was not edible (the waffle batter was soured, the milk jug had rings around it, the apple juice was watered down); and we propped a chair against the door to feel safer.

We joked about there being hidden cameras in the room because it was so sketchy.

Definitely avoid this place unless desperate!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Ridgeland hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure where the "beautiful" photographs of the rooms and the place as a whole came from or what decade they were taken in, but I'm calling BS on them ( if Photoshop wasn't at work here, then these photos were clearly taken elsewhere).
Choice Hotels International should be embarrassed to have their company affiliated with the Econolodge in Ridgeland, SC. The hotel receptionist (a young, lazy lady named Courtney who loves to lie to hotel guests) acted as though we were all bothering her Friday night by making her do her job. I had had a problem with another hotel in the area and had called 1 hour prior to checking in to the Econolodge. When I called, I was told that there was no reason to make a reservation, because the whole second floor was available. I was told the price was $47.97 for the two nights needing to stay and that the place is pet friendly. I asked Courtney if she could hold a room for me and she said it wasn't an issue. Arriving not even an hour later, the lobby was packed with people needing rooms and the price kept increasing as each guest checked in. By the time I got to check in the price per night was now $67.97 and Courtney couldn't do anything about it because the manager/ owner( who was not on site) had control over the computer system and Courtney couldn't change anything. She also couldn't get ahold of the manager/ owner because she apparently didn't have his phone numberor the number or name of the other hotel he owns and operates...Calling BS again, considering the phone numbers for the other hotel andthe owner's cellphone number is posted right by the computer.
We reluctantly checked in at the different rate, asking for a phone call from theowner - have yet to get one. The room we got #232 had a patch on the ceiling ( right above the bed) that was poorly done and appeared ready to fall into theroom. To make it worse, the patch is growing mold...Ick!!!!
Saturday ( 4/6) we made a complaint about the room, requested another room and asked for the manager to be contacted ( Courtney was back at thefront desk). After much debate, Courtney finally gotoff her lazy butt to find us another room...as she came back around to the office, amazingly enough she was on her cell phone with the hotels owner ( the one she didn't have anyway of contacting ). She informed us that we could move rooms and $10.00 could be taken off our whole bill...haha...wow!!!
The second room #128 was worse than thefirst room ( didn't believe it could be possible)... the lights didn't work in the bathroom, the shower curtain was hanging by a thread, stains on the walls, carpet, bed, pillows, bed spread, food on the floor, and the bathroom ceiling is caving in...this was obviously not acceptable. Back to the hotel receptionist; Courtney...
We finally got a "decent" room ( decent used lightly- still many factors wrong with the room no toilet paper, shower curtain torn, stains on all furniture - bedspread, chairs, nightstand etc, light in the bathroom didn't have a cover andthe wires - not properly capped off were exposed) and only after we requested it( housekeeping had left the door open so we saw that it was better than either of the two we had before). Courtney told us that we couldn't have this room. But after much explanation that we were no longer asking, she reluctantly agreed. Room #131 was fascinating as well... the room key continued to not work and had to be reset 3xs before we were told that you have to continuously swipe it until the light turns green and then quickly open the door...really??? Yep...ghetto!!!
To make matters worse, instead of accrediting the $10.00s as promised to the account used to pay for the room...an additional $10.00 was deduction for the hotel and has yet to be returned to the account...
Yeah...this place is hell on earth and as I told the customer relations Representative for Choice Hotels; a bulldozer or burning the place to the ground would be an improvement to it....
Enter at your own risk!!! But you've been warned...
P.s. if you haveany problems grab one of the choice hotels pamphlets and call the 1800 number listed inside for customer relations or go to the website and find the number...but make the call, because it seems that this is the only way toget anything resolved with this place.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank LJW369
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

The accessible room for persons with disabilities is spacious and the bathroom is especially well done. The owner and staff were all eager to assist and always friendly. The hot breakfast was very delicious. There was something for every taste. The coffee was even very good.

Room Tip: Be specific about your needs and they will go out of their way to accommodate them. So if you want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here as we were falling asleep pushing home from Tampa. My room had no lights but the air worked. I also had two outlets that worked, so I had TV,cell phone charging and a floor lamp. Got my shower, a charge and 4 hours. Then got out ! They have a hot tub full of green water and weeds if you like.

Room Tip: Chose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Newport News, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed here for a night while headed for Daytona for Bike Week. Staff were friendly and helpful. They let us park our bikes under the covered area used for checking in. Breakfast was okay. I slept like a baby but I don't know if it was the bed or because I'd been on the back of a motorcycle for about 8 hours. We got a great senior's rate. I believe it was around $49 before taxes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Lobby was shabby, outdoor pool gross, old TV with poor reception, advertised HBO but no HBO. Had trouble sleeping because of all the traffic noise from I-95. The "hot breakfast" conisted of toast, mini-donuts, Quaker cereal packets, waffles from the waffle-maker, and trays of biscuits and sausage. After slugging down some weak coffee and sampling a sausage biscuit, I headed over to McDonalds for a better breakfast. On the plus side - the room was very clean and decently furnished. Internet access was good. Overall though, the Comfort Inn next door seems like a better choice. (Final Note - I hate the fact this chain puts safes in every room, then charges you an extra dollar unless you tell them that you didn't use the safe. It's just an excuse to make an extra buck on every stay.)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgeland
Quality Inn & Suites
Red Roof Inn Hardeeville
Red Roof Inn Hardeeville
#4 of 12 in Hardeeville
Hampton Inn Yemassee/Point South

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!