“Unique”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Prosperity, South Carolina
“Unique”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is authentic German food! Wendy, the owner, is a delight. She cooks everything herself. You need to make sure you have plenty of time. Because she cooks everything to order, it takes a little time. Reservations are a must.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank parrington569

Greenville, South Carolina
“Little Gem in a Little Town”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Boyfriend recently relocated to this area. We were looking for a place to eat and found this highly rated restaurant in this little tiny town. Called and left a message on the anwering machine in the morning of the day we hoped they'd have a space available for us and were delighted to get our wanted 6:30 reservation for that night.

Arrived a bit early and was seated immediately. Cute little place, and I do mean little. I'd say, seats 50 people? Place quickly filled up before we even ordered. Knew we were lucky to have gotten in. Seating was/can be tight, it seems.

Our waitress who's name I'm sorry, I don't remember (there's only 2 of them, the brown haired one) was very good. She explained that this was a dining experience, there was no rush. We didn't realize until she told us all entrees included their house soup, house salad and dessert. The cup of soup was wonderfully delicious and I'd wished it would have been a bowl, it was that good. The salad was a mix of pasta and greens with a delicious dressing. I'm not big on pasta, but this was great.

I had the meatloaf. A little salty, not as heavy as the meatloaf I made, but not bad by any means. My bf had the wild board, which I liked, as did he. Cabbage was interesting, didn't think I'd like it, but I did. I would definitely try one of the schnitzels next time, they looked really good.

The dessert, it's a tiny sliver of a crème style cake that is to DIE FOR! OMG, I only wish it was 10x bigger...delish!

We had an added surprise, while there a gentleman that looked like an off duty Santa came in and gave all the diners an envelope which contained a Xmas card and a $2 bill...very sweet. At another table was a group of individuals having dinner with one actually dressed as Santa Claus. While everyone was in close proximity (tight fit seating, I'd call it) people, including ourselves talked to others at nearby tables.

The restaurant is decorated with odds and ends, very homey, not fancy. On our way out we saw the owner, Miss Wendy cooking away in the back and wished her Happy Holidays. You can see how hard she was working, and while eating, you could taste the passion and love that goes right in to her cooking. Having owned a food business in the past, I know the hard work, and the dedication that goes in to this. I totally can, and do, appreciate the food and service the owner of this restaurant bestows on her customers.

If you are in the area, like at the Newberry Opera House, or in the Columbia area, it's worth the drive to go here. It's been highly voted as one of the top German restaurants. Definitely call ahead for a reservation, it's a must. As well, check out the days she's open. When we went it's just Thursday, Friday & Saturdays she is open, and only for dinner.

Her website shows some of her food: http://www.gasthauszurelli.com/menu/

This page shows some of her seating, hours, décor, etc. http://www.gasthauszurelli.com/

Oh, and look for the painting on the end of the building to help guide you to the place, parking in the back and on the street. Don't blink as you drive through town as you may possibly miss it.

We look forward to going back in the near future!!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Debelli
Columbia, South Carolina
“Three Birthdays Celebrated Here!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I've requested this restaurant for three of my last 6 birthdays. The food is awesome and authentic, the staff is friendly and helpful, the decor is right down my alley and Ms. Wendy is a trip! A wonderful happy place with great food at a good price.

• Visited October 2013
Aiken, South Carolina
“German food without traveling to Germany”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The first question is why there a great German restaurant in the very small town of Prosperity? I still don't know the entire reason, but the area was first settled by German Lutheran back as early as the 1700"s but after tasting the food I no longer cared. It has been 7 years since I was in Germany and I have searching for that same hardy, simple food since. Now I have found it in Prosperity. To say the food was hardy is something of an understatement. The meal choices were full or half. Lucky, I choose the half. It came with soup, salad, main course and dessert. That with a German beer had me stuffed, but I didn't want to miss out of any of it.

• Visited August 2013
Columbia,SC
“How can the food get any better? It Can't!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

There is a reason this is one of the best German restaurants in the country. Because it is incredible. You must remember that this is a small authentic German restaurant. You feel as though you are in Germany as soon as you walk in. If you are in a hurry, afraid to sit with people you do not know, need privacy, need updated decor, go to Applebees and get a booth! This place is not for you. If you want to experience German cooking as though you were in Germany eating at your Grandmother's house, this is it. Miss Wendy is a genius!

• Visited April 2013