“Gone Downhill”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Beaufort, SC
“Gone Downhill”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was not our first time at Moondoggies, but before we would have ranked them as overall very good, now they have definitely gone downhill. We went around 6:00 on a Saturday evening, restaurant was busy but not full. No reservations but we were seated quickly. Our appetizer, the red pepper and artichoke dip was very salty, the cheese on top was hard - as if made in advance and then overcooked on reheating. We opted to have the soup, cauliflower cheese, instead of a baked potato with our entree. The soup was also very salty and had seperated so that the cauliflower was swimming in oil along with curdled cheese solids. We both had the lump crab cakes, always one of my favorites at Moondoggies. They should have been relabelled as "shredded" crab cakes - the normal big sweet lumps of crab where missing and there was a lot more breading. Hoping for a sweet ending we ordered a slice of key lime pie, waited a long time and instead recieved our bill. Overall very disappointing. We'll not be back.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank PBS_in_Beaufort

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Thought it would be better”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have heard so much about this restaurant so I was a bit disappointed. The food was just ok, but not wonderful. It's such a cute little house and has such amazing potential. With it being in the lowcountry and in the south, I would have thought they would have such great seafood w/ a southern twist, but the menu was just pretty simple food. I must admit that the fried pickles were wonderful though!

• Visited July 2012
Waldo, Maine
“And music, too”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Had supper here (or dinner, depending on where you come from) with a friend. She is a vegetarian, I am not. She had the roasted red pepper and artichoke bake along with a large salad. I had the lump crab cakes. Both were very good. The meal came with hush puppies which my friend had never had. Our waitress was quite surprised over that. We each had a glass of wine which was good, also. There was live country/folk music to accompany our meal. All in all, a pleasant evening with good food, good friends and good music. Would go again.

• Visited June 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Cool as the other side of the pillow”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I'd buy this place in a New York minute. Food quality was great with the unique items. If you've never had fried pickles....you HAVE to try these! The owners were table side making sure life was good. I don't care about money when I'm trying something new so I can't tell you about the value but I had a $20 bottle of really nice Shiraz. I'm a weekend chef and make a legendary crab cakes...these were as good as mine! Wonderful atmosphere and a great homey feel. Gotta try this place!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Craig B
Mansfield, Georgia
“best fried pickles!”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Every time we visit Beaufort we make it a point to eat here. Steaks and salads are wonderful, atmosphere is great, piano music on weekends, staff friendly and helpful. Don't miss the fried pickles!!!

• Visited May 2012