“Why is this place always busy???”
Review of The Smokin' Pig

The Smokin' Pig
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Pendleton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I am from out of town and frequently visit Clemson University. The local student body suggested coming to this establishment. I arrived at lunchtime and I was immediately met with a very busy parking lot. The parking lot was not large enough to accommodate all vehicles. I walked into a crowded and lively restaurant. The ordering process was a bit confusing because there were no paper menus or any staff to direct customers.

I placed my order, which was two pulled pork sandwiches with a side of potato salad and baked beans, respectively. I took the food to go and ate it with my friend. The pulled pork sandwich was served on a generic white bun. The pork was good, but it didn't live up to the stories I had heard about this place. The barbeque sauce was basic. The baked beans tasted like they were from a can, but they still don't live up to even Bush's baked beans. The potato salad was clearly from a grocery store because of it's neon yellow hue. What a joke. I would not recommend this place and I think the hype comes with the Clemson student body. We both have eaten at The Pompous Pig in Anderson, and we both agree that it is far superior, in all categories, to The Smoking Pig. Do yourself a favor and go to The Pompous Pig instead. Plus they're open six days a week instead of three...

1  Thank swimmer4life8

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place was recommended to us by friends. Each time we visit our daughter in South Carolina we like to try a different BBQ place. We've tried some good ones, but this one really shines. We visited on a Friday and the place was packed. We waited about 30 minutes but it was well worth the wait. I had the Pork and Brisket combo. The pork was wonderful but the brisket was out of this world. It was moist and the flavor was so good that sauce became optional. The sauces were great, as were the sides and the rolls. The only thing I tried that is better elsewhere is the Brunswick Stew. I like the stew at Creekside better. All in all a great meal and a really fun environment.

1  Thank Lynn J
Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you pass exit 19 on I-85 (either direction) without stopping for some BBQ, you're missing out. The food is awesome from the brisket to the chicken to the sides. The portions are more than enough for the price. The only caveat...you may have to wait your turn.

PS...for you locals, they're open in Williamston too!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

This place serves some of the best BBQ I have had in the area. There was, from what I have read, the usual crowd but the service was quick & friendly. The food was excellent! The BBQ really does melt in your mouth. It has just the right flavor & the sauces are the perfect accompaniment. The rolls, the rolls, YUM! You place your order & pay at the front then find a table & they bring your food out to you. Quick & easy! If you like the Q then this is the place to be.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and I have been driving past this place for months, always seeing the parking lot jammed. Two weeks ago we finally tried it and we are glad we did. We have been back twice since then and had the same results everytime. Excellent bbq pork, brisket and ribs.
The place was crowded but the service was good. You order the food, pay for it , and then find an empty table. We had the food brought to us within a couple of minutes of sitting down , on all trips.
If you are a fan of tasty bbq , plan a meal at the Smokin Pig.
The only drawback is that they are open Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturdays only , so plan accordingly

Been to The Smokin' Pig? Share your experiences!