“Great for lunch, dinner...not so much.”
Review of Island Cafe & Deli - CLOSED

Island Cafe & Deli
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Grew up eating shrimp salad and crab cakes from here (the best I have ever had) and some of their great sandwiches for lunch. However, there dinner service leaves much to be desired. Last year I took my girlfriend's family there for dinner and was embarrassed by the quality of the food. Last night, my girlfriend and I tried it again. They had a prime rib special for $9.95; I should have known better. The prime rib was actually a lackluster ribeye steak that was grossly undercooked (rare instead of medium). First time in my life I ever sent anything back. Steamed vegetables tasted like they were frozen. The rice was inedible. Stick to lunch, or find a chef that at least knows the difference between prime rib and a ribeye.

1  Thank pawleys87

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I are on vacation, and were on our way back to Myrtle Beach, South Cariolina when we started looking for a place to eat a light lunch at Pawleys Island.

We saw the Island Cafe and decided to stop for a sandwich. The restaurant has a lot of character with hand painted beach murals on the walls and a lot of island flavor. Looking around is a cheerful experience.

Our waitress, Andrea, was very friendly and fast at coming over to take our order. We decided to order a club sandwich named the "Clubby Checker" to split. When the sandwich (Roast beef, turkey, Swiss, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, bacon and three pieces of bread........with chips) was delivered to our table it was HUGE!! The roast and turkey were thinly sliced and tender, and stacked high with the cheese and veggies. The sandwich was well made and wonderful. It reminded me of the sandwiches I used to get at lunch counters as a child....before fast food became popular. My only regret was that even though I only had half the sandwich, it was more than I could eat.

All in all, a really good sandwich, and an enjoyable lunch! Well Done! If we pass this way again, we will be back

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We look forward to returning to this very casual spot while visiting friends nearby. Our favorite is the fried oysters served over a Ceasar salad (dressing on the side, please). A variety of seating choices are available including on the patio or in the full-service bar area. This was probably our tenth visit. The food and service are consistently above average as are their prices; a common trait of Pawleys Island restaurants. There were five in our party. Two opted for the Ceasar/oyster salad, two an oyster po' boy sandwich with crispy ff potatoes, and one had a Reuben. Everyone was pleased. Beverage glasses were refilled without asking. I can personally recommend the sweet tea. This place is usually busy but there is plenty of seating and ample parking in the rear.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were a little disappointed in this locally favorite restaurant.

CON: food too salty and service was "adequate" but unfriendly and not to "present." Not worth the drive IF coming down from Myrtle Beach area .. unless you combine with shopping. (22 miles, 35 min. south of MB ... 10 miles, 15min south of Murrells Inlet SC).

PRO: Great location among Pawley's Island "low country" Shops, unique casual decor and atmosphere, good prices, large portions.

We had the Seafood Platter: flounder, shrimp, fried oysters (we sub'd more shrimp), rice, veg of day, and rolls ($14.95 most reasonable), iced tea (very good) and a martini (very good). As noted, the only problem was the over-salting (we overheard another guest complaining about the salt). Our total bill was $38, plus gratuity ... very reasonable in any area, and less than most along the Grand Strand.

We recommend it IF not driving a long way just to get there. If you do, plan to add shopping. Ask about salt level before ordering.

1  Thank Murrell89
Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you are looking for a restaurant that is casual and laid back that you might just drive past without stopping, this is your place. It doesn't look like much from the road but the interior and the food are wonderful. We eat at this restaurant at least once every time we are in the area. They have the best fried shrimp on the South Carolina coast but all their seafood dishes are fabulous. You really don't want to miss the jewel of a restaurant.