“Mixed Feelings”

Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pawleys Island
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this inn - March 24th - 27th to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We knew before arrival there was rennovation being done as indicated by comments on Trip Advisor. I picked this location based on the numerous positive comments on Trip Advisor. Upon our arrival we could clearly see there was major rennovations being done. Our first room - room 105 reminded me of a Myrtle Beach hotel room from 1976! Everything was very outdated/worn - while clean I might add. However to me there were security issues with the room - there was a huge tear (estimate 2 1/2 foot on the side) in the screen on the ocean front first level porch, no lock at all on the patio door, part of the secondary deadbold lock was missing on the primary door, the silver lining on the bathroom mirror was peeling and the kitchen light flickered constantly. This room definately did not reflect the images on the website.

The front desk clerk was very helpful when we went back to say the room was totally unacceptable. She provided us with 2 sets of keys to second floor rooms - these rooms appeared to have been recently renovated. We stayed in room 222 which I have attached photos for you to see.

I will note that when we did check in we were provided a letter from the management explaining the extent of the rennovation, the $$ amount being done and that if there are any issues with the property to please contact them and provided a number. So I can give this place credit for doing all they could to ensure our stay would be acceptable.

However, I was disappointed that the pool side bar & grill along with the swimming pools were closed, not scheduled to open until after our departure. The dining room on the second floor was open for lunch and dinner but we did not utilize this ammenity. I will say it would have been nice to know in advance these ammenities were going to be closed during our visit.

Also, noted is the room we stayed in and I feel possible the other rooms in the original inn section do not have hair dryers, irons/ironing boards or safes - but the directory stated you could contact the front desk for the hair dryer, iron/ironing board if needed. I hope this is some ammenities that managment considers installing in all rooms.

The area is a very beautiful beach area, I don't believe I have ever heard the ocean waves as loud as I did at this inn which I thought was awesome! It is a very quiet area, at least for the time of year we visited it was like having your own private beach. I truely enjoyed sitting on the second floor screened in porch every morning and listening to the ocean and watching the sunrise.

Hopefully once the rennovations are accomplished this inn will be up to par with some of the Myrtle Beach area resorts. I will state I could have stayed in a condo room at North Myrtle with more ammenties on the property ( i.e. lazy river, indoor pool, jacuzzi, etc etc) for less than what I paid for this ocean front room - but I choose this location based on the sights we planned to celebrate our anniversary at and avoid a long drive from North Myrtle.

There was one other issue that I think disappointed me the most. This being our anniversary my sister-in-law called the inn and paid for a gift to be delivered to our room. The gift never made it. Seems there was a mix up on which room on the second floor we were in. However, in defense of this inn - the General Manager of the restaurant called me at my home to apologize for the error and also contacted my sister-in-law and she was not charged for the gift.

I hope I have provided future travelers tips on questions to ask and how to approach issues you may have with this inn. Our experience was not totally negative, a few disappointments thought.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vhash77
Pomaboe, Assistant General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2010

I would like to apologize profusely for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We have taken note of every detail and will ensure that they are taken care of with urgency. We also thank you for your business which means a lot to us and hope, that you will allow us to make your reservations at our facility the next time either business or pleasure brings you to the Pawleys Island/Litchfield area.

Patrick Omaboe.

There are newer reviews for Oceanfront Litchfield Inn

Reviewed March 31, 2010

We just spent one evening in Room 100, then checked out a day early. We had given our teenage daughter the opportunity to choose our accommodations from a list of three locations in the Pawley's Island area. She was very excited about staying at the Litchfield Inn after seeing the beautiful pictures of the rooms which appeared to be rather newly decorated in vibrant colors with modern conveniences. We were very deceived and very disappointed!!! We spent extra money on the two bedroom villa for a special two-night stay on the beach. We opened the condo door to find a VERY old and worn out condo that looked nothing like the website photos. Many items were broken throughout the unit, such as: screens, sliding doors, bathroom fixtures, frames around mirrors, drawers in kitchen/dining room, etc. The TVs were very old and had "snow" on many channels. The beds were only covered with one sheet and a very uncomfortable and cheap bedspread. We were thankful for good weather and a beautiful beach for our one night stay, but would not recommend any one else be deceived by the website photos that were provided.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Good Afternoon Ms. Hearne,

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Litchfield Inn, I would like to apologize profusely for the bad experience you had when you recently stayed with us. I would also like to thank you for the feedback which means so much to us.
We have taken note of all the details and will work hard in making sure that, everything is taken care of with urgency. We sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance to make it up to you in the near future.
Once again, please accept our deepest apologies.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

once again i found myself at the litchfield inn in s.c..It was late i was tired and out of it after a 16 hour flight.the night gal at the desk aimie was very understanding as i had to ask twice were my room was.i could not seam to retain my room number long enough to get in to the room and fall out on the large bed. very nice room i might add. the following morning 5:30am i went to the front desk and found johnathn who had coffee ready and hot .it felt like home. like he knew i was comming . he also helped me with my extended stay and was able to keep my same room.WHAT a guy.mid way through my stay i went down to front desk 5:30am and found another night person name Roger once again i was made to feel at home this place (litchfield inn) is the best it is the only place i will stay good people and good clean rooms . my safety and comfort was there #1 concern can't beat the price or the location... thanks litchfield inn ......Don

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
jearlcollins, Assistant General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2010

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Litchfield Inn, we would like to thank you for your positive comments about our property. It is always good to hear that our hard work and commitment to our valued guests has created a positive response to your visit. We do hope, that when you return to the Pawleys Island/Litchfield area, you will allow us to make your reservations at our facility. Once again, thank you and we look foward to your next visit to the Litchfield Inn.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Thought this would be a nice place, but at 1100-1130 constant noise from upstairs room. Staff "didn't hear anything" pointed to noise for construction sign. Ha. Check in guy said noise would not be a problem but this is not construction noise, I hope. Who does hotel room construction at 1130 of a night?. The problem is the walls are apparently paper thin. Now 1138 PM - don't these clowns ever sleep? Can't even enjoy the ocean over the racket upstairs. I swear I hear what sounds like someone urinating in the toilet upstairs. I hate this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
jearlcollins, General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2010

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Litchfield Inn, I would like to render a profuse apology for the bad experience you went through during your stay with us. This is never the kind of experience we want our valued guests to have. Clearly, the noise at that time of the night is disturbing, as is unacceptable. We will make sure this does not re-occur in order not to have any other guest of ours go through a similar incident. We would like to make it right the next time round. To this end, please do not hesitate to contact me directly anytime either busines or pleasure brings you to the Pawleys Island / Litchfield area and we promise to take very good care of you. Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Earl Collins.

Reviewed December 31, 2009

We booked this hotel for Dec. '09 and knew it was being renovated. We found it to be a "old fashioned" motel that just this year has been converted to a "Coop". The Owners of the hotel were very freindly and offered to let us view three rooms of our choice and checked with Maids for vacancy and cleanliness before we viewed them. They had several rooms to pick from. Each room is decorated by the individual owner - very tastefully done. we picked a room on the first floor by the pool and got a GREAT RATE of $53.90 a night. The room was clean comftable and had a kitchen sink, MW and Refigerator dishes ect. what you would normally find in a suite.. The Motel is right on the beach, has a small pool. We did not hear any noise from construction and would stay again. They have a resturant but please check for hours since the hotel is in construction state.
I would gladly stay there again! Great "budget rate" hotel. Loved the location of Pawleys Island - quieter than Myrtle Beach and much less crowded!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaigeAM
jearlcollins, Assistant General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

On behalf of the Management and Staff of the Litchfield Inn, I would like to extend our profound gratitude for your positive comments. Indeed, it is very gratifying to know that, our efforts in serving and pleasing you did not go unnoticed. This will be passed on to the staff which I believe will serve as a moral booster and spur us all on to continue rendering excellent service to our valued guests. We also thank you for your business which means so much to us and will be looking foward to serving you again anytime either business or pleasure brings you to the Pawleys Island/Litchfield area.

Reviewed December 6, 2009

I was traveling on a budget, so I thought I would either end up with a crappy hotel on the beach or a nicer one that was a bit of a drive to the beach. I came across the Litchfield Inn and decided to book it, and I couldn't have been happier. The location was great. This stretch of beach doesn't have the multitude of high rises that you find in Myrtle. The beaches weren't overly crowded, and there were several nice restaurants (including those at the hotel) nearby. We spend every night having cocktails by the beach at their bar. I'm not much of a pool person, but the families that were there seemed to enjoy the pools.

The rooms weren't "luxury" I suppose, but my room (just a standard room, not in the towers) was very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated with a "beachy" theme. We had a microwave, toaster oven and mini-fridge, which allowed us to make our own breakfasts and lunches to save some money. Our room didn't have a view, but it seemed that if you wanted to spend a little extra several rooms had nice views of the beach. The service was friendly and professional. I highly recommend the Litchfield Inn, and I will probably return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank budgetbeachgoer
jearlcollins, General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2010

On behalf of the staff and management of the Litchfield Inn we would like to say thank you for the positive comments about our property. It is always good to hear that our hard work and committment to our guests had a positive response to your get a way to our area. We do hope that when you return to the Myrtle Beach/ Georgetown area youn will allow us to make reservations for you at this facility.Once again Thank You and we look forward to your next visit to the Litchfield Inn.

J. Earl Collins

Reviewed November 18, 2009

Not a luxury hotel, but clean with comfortable beds, great ocean view, VERY conveniently located. Really great deal for an oceanfront room at this price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
jearlcollins, General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2009

The management and staff of the Litchfield Inn would like to thank you for your positive comments.We are very proud that we able to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. When you are in our area again please allow us to make your reservations and make your next stay a memorable one. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Pawley's Island South Carolina.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club

Been to Oceanfront Litchfield Inn? Share your experiences!