“very disappointed”

Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pawleys Island
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Very disappointed in our room. We also had room 329. We couldn't wait to see our room, We assumed that we would have a room that looked like the photo's on the website. After checking in and getting to the room we opened the door and was SHOCKED with what we saw. How can this room be a part of Litchfield Inn??? The room was not clean, smelled musty, mildew all over the bathroom. The carpet was dirty, we wouldn't even walk on it with our barefeet. This room/unit is very over priced. The decor was dated back to the 70's. This room/unit is terrible. Would not recommend staying in this unit. The next morning we did talk to the Manager and we moved to another unit that was nicer, however the decor was still dated. Lithcfield needs to require owners to maintain their units in an acceptable condition. If the owner does't meet the criteria Litchfield should REFUSE to rent the unit. We will not stay here again. The location and the beach here is great. It is a shame that owners of these unit's at Litchfield Inn are giving it a bad name. Some ONE at this Inn needs to take charge.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
jearlcollins, General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2011

The management and staff apologize for the recent events surrounding your recent stay at our property. After reading your comments I can see that we did not put our best foot forward. Most of our units have been renovated, but we still a very few that have not. We strive each day to make sure that we meet the expectations of the traveler coming to our area. I apologize and I can assure you that your comments will not fall upon deaf ears these comments will allow us to not make the same mistake twice. Once again I do apologize and hope that when you are in the area again you will allow us the opportunity to show you that this is not a how we conduct our business.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,910)

Reviewed July 17, 2011

This resort does have a lot of good things going for it. However it does need some work for the price we paid 1500 1 week ocean front. We stayed in room 329. The paint and wall board were flaking off in the bathroom. Everything in the room is dated and worn out, from the mildew in the shower to the sliding door that took 2 people to open. The TV in this room was a 19 inch the cheaper room had a 30 inch flat screen. We asked why they said our room was privately owned. If that is true I would think the hotel would have minimum standards for what is in a room and its age/condition. Beds were uncomfortable and the AC blows right in your face while sleeping. Everyone in the room ended up with a sore throat from it.The free internet was intermittent and slow at best none at it's worst. The food and service at the pool side bar was excellent. They served much higher quality food than one would expect at a bar. Try the crab cake and grouper baskets you will not be disappointed. The beach is clean and not crowded at all. For the amount of money we spent we will not return. There are many nicer hotels in the area at 1500 week price point. If you do decide to stay here get pics of the actual room you will stay in. They vary greatly the cheap room was nicer but cramped thats why we switched to ocean front for 400 more. Avoid room 329 at least until they fix it up.

Room Tip: avoid room 329
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
jearlcollins, General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Our management and staff would like to thank you for the recent comments concerning our Inn. We have read your comments and apologize for not making your vacation a memorable one. Your comments will allow us an opportunity to review with the owner of this unit, the expectations of our traveling public. As most of our units have been renovated, we still have a few that do not meet the standards. We will continue to strive for the complete property to be at 100% with our service and accommodations. Once again we apologize and hope that you will allow us to serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

I read all the reviews and was a bit apprehensive about staying here. I am glad I did!!!! I wanted a cheap room for a 3 day last minute trip to Pawleys Island area. I didn't expect much, so I only asked for a clean updated room with a comfortable bed. I knew I would be on the beach all day. I reserved a KING "pool view" room which was the cheapest one available at an average of $177 per night. I got a full kitchen (which I wasn't expecting) and the room was very cute. Large flat screen TV, big comfortable bed, very large couch and a tiled kitchen. Bathroom had been updated. Breakfast was the same all 3 mornings. Typical continental style, but included with the room cost. I would definitely stay here again. Did not have a balcony, but I could see the ocean from my room.....#215.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lakeloon

Thank you very much for the positive comments concerning our property. We work very hard each day to make sure that each guest stay is met with a clean, organized property and top notch customer service. Your comments will be used as a motivational tool with our staff to make sure that we supply this kind of product to each person utilizing the Inn as a get-a-way or vacation. Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you on the next visit to our beautiful and relaxing property

Reviewed July 10, 2011

My family stayed at the Litchfield Inn in Pawley's Island, South Carolina for two nights. We found a coupon for the hotel that said that the coupon was for an oceanfront room. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that the coupon was only for rooms that were not oceanfront when the coupon clearly said oceanfront on it. We ended up having to pay $470 for two nights to get an oceanfront room, which was more than double the price that was advertised on the coupon.The employee at the desk was friendly but the housekeeping employees were rude. We had to ask for new towels and washcloths. The room was decent but the beds are horrible and the floor wasn't cleaned because there was sand everywhere. The view of the ocean from the balcony is good and the beach isn't crowded. However, the waters were infested with jellyfish and there were dead jellyfish that had washed up onto the shore everywhere. It wasn't safe for anyone to be in the water. We saw a few cockroaches around the hotel, which shouldn't happen at the price you have to pay to stay there. The restaurant at the hotel was very overpriced. You could find an oceanfront hotel that is much better than this one for half the price. We will not be returning to this hotel EVER again.

Room Tip: Drive about 20 miles north and stay at Myrtle Beach
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

The management and staff apologize for the recent events surrounding your recent stay at our property. After reading your comments I can see that we did not put our best foot forward. Most of our units have been renovated, but we still a very few that have not. We strive each day to make sure that we meet the expectations of the traveler coming to our area. I apologize and I can assure you that your comments will be used as a training tool, allowing us to not make the same mistake twice. I do hope that when in the area again you will allow us the opportunity to show you that this is not a how we conduct our business.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed at the Oceanfront Litchfield Inn on July 2 until July 4th. After reading the reviews online I went to the Inn a day ahead and asked to see a room. They were unable to show me a room. This is understandable, being a holiday weekend. I talked to someone in the parking lot that showed me their room. I might have paid $59 for it, however, I was paying $250 !!!! I tried to cancel and could not. Upon my check in I was ungraded to an Ocean front room.... yahoo !!! The room , # 231 was old . The carpet reeked of mold, mildew and urine.
The beds however, were comfortable. We called to change rooms and could not. Again, understandable for a holiday weekend. I was also charged a resort fee ?? The location of this resort is stellar. However, DO NOT STAY there until you see the exact room that you will be in. Because my father was on his death bed I prolonged my trip. My brother booked a room and it was 100% better , except for the rusty shower curtain.

Room Tip: Call direct . Do not use a third party i.e. booking buddy, expedia, orbitz etc. Austins , the res...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
jearlcollins, General Manager at Oceanfront Litchfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you very much for your comments. We strive to make sure that each of our units meets the expectations of our guests. A renovation of most of the units was accomplished in the fall of 2010 and the spring of 2011. We will use your comments for training of the staff and this will also give us an opportunity to work more closely with the homeowner to get all of these issues resolved. I do apologize that your stay was not exceptional. We do hope that when you return to the area you will allow us the opportunity to prove that what you experienced is not typical of our Inn.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

Recently stayed at Litchfield Inn for the first time during June 2011. My husband and I had a small but adequate room, a little dated but clean and comfortable. Our 2 adult children, their spouses and 6 year old grandson stayed in one of the villas. I must admit the first villa they were given was a dump - that's all I can say. It was very old and obviously had not been maintained or updated at all. The furniture was filthy along with everything else in the room. However, the manager called us after we had settled in and asked if we needed anything. My husband told her we were dissatisfied with the villa the others had been put in. I believe the manager's name was Kim. She immediately went about trying to find another suitable villa. She then put them in the newer, clean, bright oceanfront villa with a large screened in porch. That was unexpected service and because of it, we will most likely return for a weekend getaway. Thank you! The restaurant, pool, bar, and other facilities were very nice. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Our management staff would like to thank you for the kind comments. We strive daily to go above and beyond to make sure that if our guests are unhappy about our product that we move quickly to get this resolved. Your comments prove that we have a commitment to make sure that our service and product meet the needs of the traveling public. Our policy on property to call each guest within 30 minutes of check in proves to be a valuable tool in guest satisfaction. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and we do hope that you will allow us to serve you again.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

First, we have been to the beach many times - normally staying at Myrtle Beach. I paid more to stay at this hotel than I ever paid ocean front at Myrtle Beach, Panama City or Daytona. Honestly, this was probably the worst room I've had, and it wasn't even oceanfront! I was very disappointed. Two of the nights I stayed were about 230.00! Oh, probably more than that because I booked through bookit.com and paid upfront. But, when we arrived, my husband had to pay 30.00 (6.00 per day) to use the "free" internet connection.

I realize it was a holiday (we left the 4th of July), but the room reserved for us was just too small. It was a "lodge" room which might be okay for 2 people, but no way should they be rented to families of 4. The small table in the room couldn't even be used to eat because there wasn't enough room to pull out the chairs. The bathroom was tiny! There was no air in the bathroom, and it was HOT.....I'm not talking stuffy...I'm talking HOT. I am the only female in my family, and when I went in there to change, I would be sweating before I could get out. The air conditioning in the room worked, but it was loud. It woke me up everytime it kicked on at night, and I'm not really a light sleeper. Oh, I almost forgot....the bed made a big popping sound anytime we got up. It wasn't really the bed, more like the mattress. It's hard to describe, but if you hear it, you will remember me writing this.

The housekeeping was okay, but they never changed our sheets in 5 nights. I didn't expect it daily, but in 6 days you accumulate a lot of sand. I think they just replace the towels and gather the used ones...and get the trash. No vaccuuming, etc.

Breakfast was just okay. Muffins, cereal, or you can make a waffle. I've seen better and worse, so it was okay.

On Saturday night they had some sort of party going on at the bar and the music and DJ were loud until very late which we could hear in the room. That didn't bother me that much, but it might others.

My kids enjoyed the pool which was always very clean. But, like most ocean hotels, people go out and put their towel on the chair at breakfast and then no one can use it all day. Some hotels enforce rules about not doing that, but this one didn't.

It's a good location on the beach, and other rooms might be better, but I wouldn't rent another lodge room even for half the price I paid.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

We are very sorry that we did not put our best foot forward. We should have done a much better job of finding what your needs were and trying to meet those. Because of comments like these it will allow us the opportunity to retrain and work more diligently with our staff to assure that this does not happen to other guests staying at our resort. We strive daily to make sure that items like this do not happen but occasionally they do and once again we apologize. We do hope that when you are in the area again you will allow us to prove to you that our service is and can be Superior.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club

Been to Oceanfront Litchfield Inn? Share your experiences!