“Great Location - But in Dire Need of Updating!”

Hampton Inn Pawleys Island - Litchfield
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Pawleys Island
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We set out on a little discovery road trip up the coast of South Carolina with no particular destination in mind, but once we happened upon Pawley's Island, knew this would be a good area to spend the night. Because it was a very busy weekend we felt fortunate to get their last room.

We stay in allot of Hampton Inns and while the front desk staff here was very nice, the place in general is in need of an overhaul. Our room was dingy and very depressing. Forest green carpet and drab draperies can do that! We were forewarned by the front desk agent that it was their one room without a view and she was right! When we opened the drapes we looked at the exterior wall of part of the hotel! Art work was missing from the wall, air conditioning unit was rusted and grose, grouting in the bathroom was too dirty to even clean anymore. Bed was lumpy and not that comfortable.

Breakfast was a disappointment as well. Generally Hampton does a good job in this arena, but both the scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy were awful! My husband choked some of his down, but I opted for the oatmeal and some fruit. He mentioned the muffin he had was rock hard.

We understand the Hampton up the road in Murrell's Inlet has been rated the #1 hotel in their chain for the past two years. We will opt to stay there next time.

This one in Pawley's is in a beautiful setting - so we're hopeful they are slated for a remodel in the near future. It's in dire need of one!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luv2Dine55
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on TripAdvisor. First, I want to Thank You so much for your kind words regarding our Front Desk staff and the beautiful setting of our Hampton Inn Pawleys Island. Although, I am sorry you feel the way you do regarding the decor of our hotel. Everyone has a different taste when it comes to decor and I am sorry you didn't like our choice.

The breakfast we serve is the Hampton Inn approved "On the House" Hot complimentary breakfast as all other Hamptons serve, so I would like to personally discuss your dislikes with our food choices so we can make any improvements you feel would make it better, this way, I can pass it along to the brand to discuss.

We do strive to make every guest satisfied during their stay, but I am sorry this was not the case during your stay. I will make sure to follow up on your concerns and I appreciate your feedback

Teri Holland, General Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My family and I stayed here over the weekend. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had at a Hampton.

There is a large pond in the front of the hotel with an alligator (only saw one) and many turtles. This was nice.

There is a grocery store, several restaurants and an ABC store in the shopping store across the street.

One small thing to consider. We only stayed here because the room we needed at the Hampton in Murrell’s Inlet was not available. The prices are higher at this inn than the one in Murrell’s Inlet, of which I had stayed at before. But this one is in a nicer location with the pond and shopping center being so nearby. The two inns are only about five miles apart. Just do a price comparison between the two before deciding.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel! We stayed in a king suite for one night, while waiting for our beach condo the next day. I was impressed as soon as we drove up. From check-in to check-out, the staff was friendly. The room was clean, spacious and well-stocked. A huge bonus is the location. We were exhausted from a 12 hour drive and were thrilled to learn that there were several casual/family-friendly restaurants within walking distance. There is also a grocery store within walking distance. It seemed to be a quiet and safe neighborhood. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast and free wifi. It was so nice to have everything included for a reasonable room rate.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CWHS84
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband has frequented Pawley's since childhood. Every summer his family packed up the family truckster and headed south. They would rent a beach house for a week, sometimes longer.
Two summers ago we decided at the last minute to visit Pawley's forgoing our usual beach house rental. We booked two plane flights and 45 minutes later, we were there.
The Hampton Inn in Pawley's is no beach house, but a good second. We were happy with our room, only if we decide to stay there again we'll get a suite with a kitchette. The breakfast is great and really saves money, and calories. I am a cold cereal person so I was thrilled that I had a variety of cereals to choose from. But there's plenty of other fattening choices, if that's what your into. Our bed was comfy and clean as well as the room overall. I love that the Piggly Wiggly is just a few steps away. There's a bike rental shop there too, however S.C. hasn't caught on to the idea of long meandering bike paths and the one near the hotel is too short for what it costs to rent a bike. That said, you could wonder into the state beach, but I think it cost something, even on bikes.
There's lot's to do in Pawleys. Don't miss All Saints Chruch. I've attached a photo from our visit the year we stayed at the Hampton. All Saints is full of lore about Alice, a broken hearted girl who haunts the grave yard. The grave yard is awesome. One grave's epitaph read, "She Made Good Gravy", I swear! Only in the south. Our first visit to the church on this trip we had company. Just as we were creeping around at dusk, a giant owl swooped in and landed on a tomb stone. Very cool and very eery. We thought for sure it was Alice.
Then of course there's Brookgreen Gardens. A huge park dedicated to art and mostly sculpture. Lot's of giant live oak trees, beautiful fountains and a great gift shop and cafe.
If you crave funnel cakes and putt putt, Myrtle Beach is just 30 mins away. There's so much to do there, or nothing if you just enjoy a peaceful stay on the beach. The beach is spectacular. Never too crowed or noisy. Families and couples love it.
No matter where you stay, Pawleys is a unique place still quite and clean and different from most other east coast beaches. I would highly recommend going. Check out my blog about our trip to All Saints Church. http://risdonphoto.blog.com/page/2/

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank free120
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here while looking at real estate in Litchfield beach. Room was clean, bed was comfortable, and general condition of facility was good. Staff was very friendly. Location was ideal for us as Litchfield is just across US17. I would have rated it 4 stars except breakfast was below par compared to other Hampton inns in have stayed at. Shower head was broken and faucet in the tub leaked.

Room Tip: Check out activites going on in the area. It was bike week and roads, restaurants and hotels were...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
hamptonpawleys, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pawleys Island - Litchfield, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Hello Mr. Waselus,

I am the General Manager at the Hampton Inn Pawleys Island and wanted to Thank You for posting a review on our tripadvisor profile. I hope you had success while looking for real estate in our area. It is so beautiful and one of the best areas to live in. I wanted to apologize or the broken item in your room. We will get that addressed as soon as possible. Thank you again for the nice comments regarding our staff and facility. I hope to see you again soon.

Teri Holland, GM

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Very clean, nice bed, nice property, good location for short trips to Myrtle Beach or around Pawley's Island. Stayed here as part of a Steve Dresser Golf Academy package. Only drawback was no washer/dryer at the hotel, and had to travel 4 miles down the road to find the closest laundromat. Otherwise, no complaints at all. Very good breakfast bar

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

En route to Charleston, we stayed in Pawleys one night. Lovely location and could have stayed longer exploring the area. Very friendly staff at the hotel. Great location with closeby dining, beaches, grocery, Brookgreen Gardens and many other areas to explore. Rooms were clean, but a bit older furnishings than some of the other HI's we have stayed in recently. Great walking trails through the residential area behind the hotel. Very reasonable rates.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Best Western Pawleys Island
#4 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Surfside Beach Oceanfront Hotel
Pawleys Plantation Golf and Country Club

Been to Hampton Inn Pawleys Island - Litchfield? Share your experiences!