“Litchfield Plantion - not at all as advertised”

Litchfield Plantation
Reviewed July 31, 2006

When I booked my stay, my primary reason for choosing this place was its 5-star rating and the promise of high-speed data services.

When I got there, I learned their advertising of "Internet Access in every room" meant each room had only a phone jack; which could be used for dialup.

I also learned upon arrival, that each room is shared with other guests as part of a condo setup, when a guest only has a bedroom with a lock and the rest of this condo, has other guests in it.

Naturally, as a business traveler, I began to drive around and investigating other hotels so I could improve my acccomodations and found a few places in Litchfield and some is Wachasaw which had more amenities, were cleaner, were more private and cost half as much.

To try to balance this review and find a few good thing to say, I would acknoledge that the complementary breakfast each day was nice and the driveway inot he facility; which was lined with very old oak trees was beatiful - so much so that I took a picture of it.

Anyway, this place should really have a much lower rating and cost half as much - expecially since you most likely be renting a bedroom in a "far from modern" condo with complete strangers. to compound this, if you do have issues as described above (with cleaniness, Internet access, etc.), the management proved to be completely unwilling to help or to make ammends.

in fact, my only option as a disgruntled guest, after spending nearly $1500 for a stay in a hotel for 5 days which was not "as advertised", was to write this review to help warn travelers of this place once I got back home. when I talked to the managers (yes, all three of them), they were unwilling to provide me any credits and in genreral took a "I am very sorry sir, but there is nothing we will do to help you with your issues" approach.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18  Thank Three18

Reviewed July 27, 2006

This place was terrible, don't let the website fool you. You stay in a condo you share with complete strangers. The place wasn't clean, the staff was rude, and the carpet smelled like.... The people who run this place are criminal.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank Kennon
biddles_8, manager at Litchfield Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2008

2 year old reveiw...different managers..
Your prices listed under our reveiws are extremely high...and wrong !

Reviewed June 22, 2006

We stayed at Litchfield Plantation for our honeymoon, and purchased the honeymoon package including 4 dinners at the Carriage Club Restaurant, daily breakfast, tickets to Brookegreen Gardens and ticked to the Carolina Opry.

The service was underwhelming to say the least. First of all the trip was supposed to be a surprise for me and my husband planned the trip. We got a call at 6:45AM a week before, and I happened to answer and they anounced who they were and that we had a reservation there etc, when my husband had told them several times not to do this.

The picture of the rooms you see on their website is misleading if you don't stay in the main house, we had a Villa down the road which looked like a condo unit from the outside. Inside was pretty nice, we had a private hot tub overlooking a marshy creek - complete with alligators. Bathroom was huge, the unit had a shared kitchen and dining and living room that were also convenient and nicely decorated.

Breakfast was great with the exception of the first day we were there when we waited over an hour and a half for eggs. Because of weddings both weekends we were there we were forced to take our 4 dinners mon-thurs. The food was good but a little much for 4 nights in a row. The Matre'D at the restaurant was fabulous, and we felt great about the service at dinner.

When we complained about our TV not working (it was static on most channels), the guest service clerk said that people don't come there to watch TV. Not a very nice response. They also forgot our champagne that was included with our package, we had to request it twice before it showed up.

Over all we probably won't stay here again, the hotel service was really lacking and we would much rather rent a house on Pawley's Island for the price we paid.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank Bliss658
A TripAdvisor Member
AR
Reviewed November 9, 2005

Litchfield Plantation is a beautiful property with a picturesque Avenue of Oaks. This is why I chose to hold my wedding ceremony and reception there. I was born and raised in the Coastal South Carolina area - have since moved to the Midwest.

I'll start with the positives...
The breakfast at the Carraige House Club was excellent. My room - "The Executive Suite" - was very nice and included a Jacuzzi tub and wireless internet.

The rest of the story....
1. The general manager threatened to cancel the event (10 days prior) because he was concerned with the catering and the number of guests. These two topics had been discussed with his employees on numerous occasions. His concerns were a result of miscommunication within the organization but was left up to us (the guests) to deal with. The general manager was extremely rude and disrespectful to my mother - a woman who is probably the most well mannered mild tempered person you will ever meet.

2. The mosquitos were swarming - horrible - the worst I have ever seen. They were so bad that the hardware store and local CVS store were sold out of bug stray and citronella candles. We asked Guest Services if they could call the county or have pest control spray on Saturday prior to the wedding ceremony which was held outdoors. There was no response. My father hired pest control himself and bought a fogger from Lowe's to rememdy the problem. Spraying for mosquitos is very common practice in Coast South Carolina - the county will spray weekly or biweekly according to the need. Litchfield made no efforts to help us with this problem. We paid no less than $9000 total to Litchfield - you would expect them to be more attentive.

3. The gate guard - not once - not twice - but 15 times - misdirected guests in the plantation. We complained about this 5 separate times. I was told on numerous times that the gate guard would take care of directing guests. I was making phone calls to Guest Services 50 minutes before the ceremony regarding this issue.

4. 3 of the Guest Rooms that were in the Guest House had raw sewage overflowing into the bathtub. I rented all 6 rooms in the Guest House on Friday and Saturday night so that I could have my friends and family be close during the event. All of my guests had to be moved the Saturday morning of the wedding. We were not compensated for this. The whole reason the Guest House was rented was to have everyone in one place.

5. There was a Roto Rooter truck - 2 of them actually - in front of the Guest House the entire day of the wedding. They were not removed until after 3:00pm. The wedding was scheduled for 4:30. I had to call twice to get this taken care of. We had to step over tubing and look at that while taking pictures. Have you ever seen a Roto Rooter Truck parked front and center at a Luxury Hotel? My guests were moved already - why couldn't this wait until Sunday.

There are many places to stay at and visit along the Coastal South Carolina that really exhibit Southern Hospitaltiy and Charm - I would not recommend Litchfield Plantation.

• Stayed: October 2005
27  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2005

We won these fine Hotel at a Skyauction and were very pleased with these Hotel. We asked for changing the travel dates and gave only a short notice, but no problem. The Lady at the desk was very helpful. The breakfast is outstanding even by american standards: You name it and the friendly waitress will serve it. We stayed in a modern and roomy condo, all very well. If one can afford it, one should stay in the old plantation house. We just enjoyed the common rooms in the carriage house, the beach house and the fine manicured plantation. Here you can get an impression of the old south. We enjoyed our stay immensly.

4  Thank Hans-Joachim P
Reviewed March 23, 2005

My wife and I just completed a 5 night stay purchased through Luxury Link which included a lovely villa all to ourselves, 5 breakfasts, 2 dinners, all week passes to a nearby fitness center, use of their private beach house a short drive away, 2 tickets to lovely Brookgreen Gardens, and a lovely welcome basket. The entrance lane to the plantation is just beautiful as are the entire grounds of the facility. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and accomadating. The Carriage House Club where we had our breakfasts and dinners was awesome. Food was great as was the service. My wife, being the cleaning nut, did notice that there were spots on the carpet in a couple places plus some minor mold in the shower that could have used a little extra attention but other than that the villa was wonderful. For a relaxing peaceful atmosphere with great service the Litchfield Plantation should be a definite pick for anyone desiring such.

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank Gary B
Reviewed October 6, 2004

I have just returned from Litchfield Plantation. The main site was further from the beach than I realised, so I was not able to vist the beach when my husband played golf (he had the car). But we had the guest house to ourselves (bliss), as well as the pool. There were certainly plenty of staff working in the grounds when we were there.

Only one criticism, my husband does not eat cheese, and no matter where we ate our breakfast in the three hotels we stayed in, cheese came with his omelette, even though he said 'no cheese'.

• Stayed: September 2004