“Perfect Instructor”

Mel Sole Golf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Golf School operating year round at Pawleys Plantation, a Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course 30 minutes south of Myrtle Beach. 3-day schools, 1 and 2-day programs, private lessons, and 2-hour group clinics. For all skill levels. Parent/Child Programs also available. Stay & play on-site with our 'Best Ever Golf School' package or attend as a Commuter Student. Computerized video analysis and personal take-home video via CD or email. A GOLF Magazine "TOP 25 USA Golf Schools" since 1991.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I just finished 3-day Mel Sole golf school In Pawleys Island, S C. i have been to one other golf school plus many individual lessons. None can compare to the way Mel teaches. He tailors the instruction to how an individual best learns. Some like hands on while others, like me, prefer to be shown and left to my own devises. What ever your preferred method he was always there to answer questions, provide tips, etc. He does this by administering a personality type test the first day.
Learning, unlearning bad habits, was a delight. Mel has the perfect personality to run such a school with such a diverse student body.
The class size was a plus - just three.

All reviews
in 29 reviews
"program"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Last fall when my fiancé mentioned she’d like to take up golf so we could enjoy playing together in our later years, I knew that the best way for her to learn was to travel to a golf school for a few days of continuous instruction. Being a big proponent of Travel Advisor, I searched for golf schools & to my amazement; the Mel Sole Golf School was getting awesome reviews! And their being located in Myrtle Beach was even better!
I went on their web site to get more information & then called & spoke to Sharon, the office admin. She was a great help & tailored our golf school experience into a mini vacation with a package that included a couple of extra days at Litchfield Beach & Country Club with a one bedroom condo. Plus two rounds of golf after we were done with golf school.
We flew down on a Wednesday from NJ & were able to get an early check-in at Litchfield with Sharon’s assistance. We had the day to explore Myrtle Beach, Murrell’s Inlet, Litchfield & Pawleys Island. It’s a marvelous area with plenty to do & some great restaurants! Reviews to follow!
The next morning we traveled from Litchfield down to Pawley’s Plantation Golf & Country Club, about a 10 minute ride. Our golf bags went out onto a golf cart & we were instructed to head over to the Mel Sole Golf School on the opposite end of their driving range, pictures enclosed, for our 9 AM lesson.
We met Sharon upon arrival & we were surprised to learn that we were the only ones in the class & Mel Sole would be our instructor! How great was that! We met Mel & were ushered into the class room. I’ve been to a few golf schools in the past & the format has always been instruction on the tee. Mel’s approach is entirely different; he sat us down & asked what we wanted to get out of golf school. Obviously my fiancé’s objective was to learn how to play golf, mine was a bit different, to play better golf with more emphasis on my short game. Mel said we could accomplish both & next gave us a personality test to gauge what type of personality we had so he knew what approach to take in teaching us. We were very similar so that made Mel’s job a bit easier. We next went onto the driving range & Mel had us hit balls & he videotaped us. Back to the classroom to analyze our swings on a flat screen TV. What’s great about Mel is as he’s doing the analyzing, it’s all being recorded as the day’s lesson. This lesson is than e-mailed to us each day & can be reviewed once we got home or even later that day which I ended up doing! Mel gives you so much information that it’s impossible to remember it all. By being able to go back, it’s a great, permanent tool to keep on improving your golf game.
Day 2 was spent primarily on pitching & sand shots. Again, we were videotaped, analyzed back in the classroom & e-mailed.
Day 3 we began with chipping & putting instruction & final pointers on our golf swings which by now materialized quite differently from Day 1, especially for my fiancé! When Mel compared our swings from Day 1 to Day 3, the differences were amazing in such a short time!

The Mel Sole Golf School was a tremendous experience & we both got so much out of it! Mel left us with a number of golf tools to keep improving our golf game. And the best was the Graduate School offer; plan to return for another 3 day class & receive $200 off your class! No need to set a date & we’re guaranteed our same instructor! Of course, we’re already signed up & are looking forward to heading back next year!
Thank you Mel, Sharon & Rosemary!

1  Thank Lonnie G
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I wish I had done this sooner . Mel and his staff are accomplished and passionate teachers of the game . I learned so much here in a three day school . All the fundamentals were covered thoroughly . I can't wait to take my new found skills to the course . I am a happy and grateful student and I plan to return .

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I attended the three day school togheter in April, 2013. She was a true beginner, never having played, and I haven't played hardly at all for 20+ years. Not only did be learn and make signiciant improvement, Mel was such a classy gentlemen. We loved his stories, and his obvious love for golf. Highly recommended!