“Yes!”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Orangeburg
Phoenix, Arizona
“Yes!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Southern Lodge kept me from runnin' away from Orangeburg!

Had a VERY poor experience with Quality Inn (STAY AWAY!!), and then found this hotel. What a relief! The staff was very warm and friendly. The room was spacious, well kept even for its age, quiet, and CLEAN!!

I would recommend this to be one of the best, if not the best place to stay during your visit to Orangeburg!

Room Tip: Stayed in 116 - Quietly placed location and spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is an older property that has been updated and is a real bargain. My mother was in the hospital which is located a short distance from the hotel. My wife and I were returning from a trip and decided at the last moment to stay in Orangeburg so I could visit her early the next morning.

I am a Hilton Honors member and often stay at these properties, but I knew from a previous stay that their property there was pretty dated. It was a Sunday night, so I figured we would have little trouble finding a room. I could find a room, but nothing for much less than $100. The newest property was $139 and, I mean, this is Orangeburg! I grew up close to here and I would drive the twenty miles to home before paying that much to stay here.

Finally we looked at Tripadvisor and noted the Southern Lodge. I was skeptical and my wife even more so, but we called and they had rooms available. I was greeted by a very nice hostess and she offered a room inspection to me before I checked in. Surprisingly, my wife said "OK". The room was clean and relatively nicely appointed. There was a flat screen TV, fridge, and microwave. Not a large room but we were just staying one night. We just needed a place to sleep! I was offered a coupon at the front desk and paid $59 for a king non-smoking room. This even included a free breakfast. Granted it was not a buffet, but again more than adequate.

The manager or owner was there in the morning and also was very pleasant. I would definitely recommend this property and it certainly "filled our bill"!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GO BUC'S
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Not so mr nice guy/ hotel mgr..... they get your credit card , then jack the rate up...

put extra charges on my card .. I confronted mr sam... he gave me $10.00 back...

still got ripped off...

Never Again.

old hard beds , con man owner.

Room Tip: stay away...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vegas junkie m
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here for just one night whilst in the area. It's clean, good value for money, great service, free wifi, everything you could need in your room. Ieesha on reception was really welcoming. Can't fault this place for good value for money. Thanks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Saltsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We always stay here, as it is the best place to stay, when visiting the area. Sam will see to it that all your needs are taken care of, if at all possible. A great place to relax, after a long day of driving. The breakfast is included. There are many things, including hot food, for breakfast. The staff is very friendly, as if they've known you all your life! A rare happening, in this day and age. You will enjoy your stay. We've stayed in many places, but always stop here, no matter if we have to drive several hours more. It's worth it! Zh.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We picked the place on Trip advisor going to Orangeburg instead of Columbia. It was a good idea. This motel did not disappoint. It is a good value, the staff is great, the rooms clean and in pristine condition. The Waffle House is close by too. Forget Columbia and go to Orangeburg instead! Will definitely go back there on the next trip to Florida. The room we had was set up for the handicapped and had many features that most rooms do not have. If one is handicapped this place would be really a godsend. We did not use the pool and did not ask about a fitness center.

Room Tip: If you are handicapped this is the place for you. Truly excellent and great value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We looked for a place to stay overnight in Orangeburg SC on our way to Florida on March 28, 2013. The Southern Lodge rated #1 but I was a little skeptical. My wife and I were traveling with our Grandchildren and wanted something clean and comfortable. Being a HHonors member I tend to lean towards Hampton Inns when traveling but the appeal of a throwback motel was too much to resist. My wife called the Southern Lodge a few days prior to our departure to secure a reservation. The owner Sam Patel answered the phone and held a room for us after a few questions from my wife. We explained that we'd be coming in sometime around 9:30 pm and Sam was kind enough to hold a room without a deposit and only requested that we keep in touch with the front desk if we experienced any delays. After a lengthy delay north of Charlotte my wife called and gave the front desk clerk an update of our expected arrival. She duly noted our reservation. We arrived a little after 10:00 pm to a smiling clerk who promptly open the front door to greet and welcome us. We found our room clean and neat and enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep. We really liked the "throwback" motel with parking right outside our door. The area appeared safe and noise was not a factor for us. The grandkids enjoyed breakfast the next morning and were happy to receive a coloring book and crayons from Sam himself, who was there making sure his customers were completely satisfied. The free breakfast was not the best we've ever had but it had variety and was adequate.
Now, this is not the Ritz-Carlton but, if you want a clean, comfortable overnight stay while traveling along I-26 in South Carolina you absolutely cannot beat the Southern Lodge and you'll save some money at the same time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family