“Everything is coming up Roses - in April & May”

Edisto Memorial Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: These gardens commemorate the site of where 600 Confederate soldiers temporarily held off the Union Army in 1865.
Orangeburg, South Carolina
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Everything is coming up Roses - in April & May”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

These gardens were developed sometime in the 1920s. I can remember my family having picnics there as a small child. There are still some of the original picnic shelters built of cypress logs in the gardens. The rows and rows of blooming roses are a site to see and smell. Personally I love the Cypress trees that you find throughout the gardens. The Edisto River makes it way along the back edge with the old wooden water wheel still running. In the spring the garden walk along the river is breathtaking. Since the 20s the city has added statuary, monuments, fountains,and boardwalks. However, to me the best part of the gardens is the older part with just the Azaleas, Roses, Dogwoods, and Cypress trees. Hopefully, they will stop adding "attractions" that (personally) take away from the natural beauty.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank ACW2243

Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“ROSE FESTIVAL W/MY COUSIN”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

My cousin, Nancy and I went on Saturday, May 4th to the Rose Festival. My parents took our family there long ago on the way to Isle Of Palms and I've been since, but this was Nancy's first time. It rained some, but cleared up and we both had a marvelous time walking and looking at the different booths and enjoyed a lunch of Greek food. We made a few purchases from the vendors, including local honey and a pitcher plant. But the spectacular gardens were the main attraction. So lovely to stop and smell the fragrant roses, which were of many varieties and colors. A spacious and peaceful place to walk. Watch the ducks/geese play in the water. Walk over the bridge to see the waterwheel. Take note of the sculptures in and around the area, which were new to me. When you need a bit of rest, there are benches available. Amazing to me is that the city of Orangeburg, which is a small town, continues to offer the chance to anyone to visit the gardens for free. I highly recommend you visit. You could spend hours there. There is a covered shelter w/picnic tables, which would make for a delightful lunch in a most beautiful spot. And if you still need convincing, there are over 5,000 roses bushes in the garden. Enjoy!!!

Visited May 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“.Pleasant Stroll”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I enjoy the quietness,the beautiful roses and very relaxing.I like to take a snack and sit on the benches in the shade. They need more benches on the walkway thru the river walk.

Visited March 2013
Orangeburg, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A little piece of Heaven in Orangeburg, SC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Even when the roses are not in bloom, this is a peaceful and scenic place to visit, walk, rest, read, and contemplate. Try a stroll down the boardwalk and take in the sights and sounds of the Edisto River. The waterwheel is a nice piece of history and takes you back in time. During the Rose Festival, there are just too many people and too little parking, so try and catch the roses before the festival or right after. This is Orangeburg's shining star and I'm not even from here.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank not_from_Orangeburg
Saint Matthews, South Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great place for an outdoor adventure with little ones”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I enjoy bringing my grand daughters here in the summer time to feed the ducks and geese, look at and smell the beautiful roses. We have even packed a picnic lunch and ate around the pond. The girls were so excited to be able to see fish and turtles swimming.

Visited June 2012