“Delicious dinner heading south”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Seafood Academy - CLOSED

The Seafood Academy
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Chicago, Illinois
“Delicious dinner heading south”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stopped on our way to Florida early on a Thursday night for a meal, based on Trip Advisor reviews and easy on/off I-95. The waiter, Tim, was exceptional and the food (salmon) was delicious. Reasonably priced for the quality. The only improvement would be the bread. It was white bread and nothing special.

Columbus, OH
“Fish-Fried”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you like deep fried, they do a very nice job with a crispy, non-greasy batter.
We were expecting something different and ordered a seafood plate with flounder, garlic shrimp and crab cake. The platter arrived with deep fried shrimp, deep fried flounder and fried crab cake. Our preference would have been a sauteed meal.
The hush puppies are bland, the baked sweet potato good. The bread had no flavour, but had a nice crust. The butter......was not. It was some sort of flavourless margarine.
Service was excellent.

• Visited October 2012
“Best Seafood of our trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stopped on our way back home to Tn from Savannah. As my husband said earlier, everything from the atmosphere to the prices were great. I had "plate envy" of my husband's shrimp and grits until I took a bite of my salmon. WOW! Good job guys and keep it up!

St. Augustine, FL
“What a find! Superb seafood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We frequently travel from FL to the mountains of NC and back using I95 and I26. I was resigned to the fact that unless you want a pepsi and a bag of chips from the gas station, there is NOTHING to eat between Walterboro and Columbia, SC on this route. That was until our delightful discovery of the Seafood Academy in Orangeburg, SC yesterday. We stopped in about 2pm.

We almost didn't stop after reading the reviews, but we are SO glad we did. This is a hidden gem! Everything about it impressed us. First, its very easy to find - not even a mile SE of Interstate 26 at the St. Matthews Rd (Rte 601) exit. Second, when you walk in, its like a breath of fresh air - cool, low-key jazz playing in the background, cloth tablecloths and napkins, and a welcoming hostess who made it feel as if she was just waiting for us to arrive so she could invite us in. But BEST - the food. My husband and I have eaten seafood from FL to Boston and we know something about quality. The seafood at this restaurant is some of the best we've had anywhere. Because we had been put off by some previous reviews, we had made plans for dinner with friends further south. We just went into The Seafood Academy to have a break, enjoy a glass of wine and get an appetizer to hold us over til dinner.

Our waiter, Webb, was truly attentive and seemed interested in making sure we had just what we wanted. We both ordered Pinot Grigio - it was perfectly chilled and served right away. My husband ordered raw oysters on the half shell - hard to get good ones unless you are right on the coast. I was struggling between the shrimp cocktail and the "shrimp feast" - 10 shrimp that could be ordered steamed, broiled or fried. I wanted to share with my husband so I wouldn't fill up before our dinner. Webb recommended the shrimp feast and I ordered them fried. OMG... they were delicous. I could only part with one token shrimp to keep my word about sharing. My husband's oysters were so fresh and delicious that he asked Webb where they were from. Webb told us that they came from Charleston - right down the road. (I always appreciate restaurants that focus on local products.) And then, for the icing on the cake, the chef sent us out two more oysters that had been broiled with a magnificent parmesan and basil topping. So... right about then, I regretted that we'd made dinner plans elsewhere. I was ready to go ahead and order entrees!

One other great thing about this restaurant: The prices are very reasonable. Both of our appetizers were less than $10 and with 3 glasses of wine, our bill was $37 (w/o the tip). Also, they are open from 11am thru dinner - I think it was until 9 or 10pm. When we're traveling, I always get thrown off by those restaurants that close at 2 or 3 and reopen at 4 or 5. Invariably, we hit them at the wrong time.

Happily, we're making this FL/NC trip again next week, so we'll be able to stop in and really enjoy a full meal. We can't wait! This restaurant has only been open for a few months. We know tha one of these days, the place is going to be so jammed we won't be able to get in without a reservation - so we'll enjoy it now while we can!

• Visited October 2012
Wesley Chapel, Florida
“Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by the staff at the Comfort Inn. It's owned by two professors and has been beautifully redecorated inside. The food was good and prices were very reasonable plus they give a 10% discount if you are staying at one of the local hotels.

Visited October 2012