“A Gem Among the Giants”
Review of Jamaica Motel

Jamaica Motel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This property is a rare find along the Grand Strand....a small, family-run hotel among the ever-increasing corporate behemoths. It is a pleasure indeed! Clean,reasonably-priced, convenient, all ocean-front balconied rooms....and.....SMOKE FREE...yeah!! The management was most responsive to our personal needs. I would recommend the Jamaica to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I spent a 3 day weekend at the Jamaica Motel. Our goal for the trip was rest and relaxation. We simply wanted to lay out on the beach and read to unwind from the daily grind. The Jamaica is very reasonably priced for being right on the beach and all of the rooms look out to the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. The rooms are average, older, and no-frills but they are clean and comfortable. We stayed on the top floor in room 410. There is an elevator which was a nice surprise. Every day they made our bed and took out our trash and provided fresh towels. Our room (and I believe most of the rooms) had a kitchenette with a refrigerator, small stove, microwave, and sink. They also provide bowls, utensils, plates, etc but we opted to pick up some paper/plastic bowls and utensils. I really wasn't sure when the last time their bowls had been properly cleaned so I didn't take a chance. Besides that, the beds were comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the balcony to sit and listen to the surf. And you can't beat just walking right out to the beach in the mornings. We did not use the pool but I saw someone cleaning it each morning. It looked very clean and if the ocean wasn't right there, we would have been out at the pool instead. We plan to book with Jamaica again next year. We really enjoyed how quiet and uncrowded the area and the hotel was.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KristyW77
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here one night prior to moving into a condo for the week. Many places will not rent a room for one night in the summer but the Jamaica was able to swing it. With tax we paid $128.80 for a Friday night.

We had room 103...it was clean and maintained. Yes there was some rust on hinges, etc. but that's to be expected near the ocean. This is not a complaint but an oddity; you get the remote for your tv when you check in. The tv makes a buzzing sound but I didn't drive 9 hours to watch tv.

This place is clean, a value and appears to be family owned by normal Americans.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Explorer926
Reviewed June 21, 2012

As a Northerner visiting the South for the first time, I was determined to sample the beaches of the Carolina coast, but friends who had been to the Myrtle Beach area cautioned me that I probably wouldn't like staying there even though the beaches are great because it's so noisy and cluttered and overly commercialized. And they were absolutely right about the commercial development along Hwy 17 here: It's as loud and gaudy and glitzy as a tourist area can possibly be. But I had booked a room with a kitchenette at the Jamaica and this saved my short visit here. The room, like all the Jamaica's rooms, overlooked the beach and the motel's pools, with a nice balcony. The kitchen facilities were more than adequate and nice and clean. The bed was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was, well, a motel bathroom, but with lots of extra towels. It was, by comparison with all the tall motels stretching for miles along the beach, small, and I liked that. After a swim in the ocean, really the last thing I ever want is to trek through a labyrinth of cold, A/C'd hotel hallways in my bathing suit looking for my room! The Jamaica is small and family run, and the woman at the desk was the owner and very nice and totally helpful. It's not a fancy hotel by any means, but a really good choice, especially given how much less it charged than the big, chain operated places. All the beaches are public, so you can use any beach space, and the town of N Myrtle Beach supplies beach chairs and umbrellas all along the strand, so it's really nice and easy to enjoy your time on the beach and the Jamaica kept it really nice and sane and simple. I watched the sun rise over the ocean from my little balcony, and then went for a great run along a nearly deserted beach before many others were out. I would definitely stay at the Jamaica again, and I've recommended it to several people already.

Room Tip: It's a four-story motel, and I was on the fourth floor and liked it because it was away from the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank S H
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This motel was wonderful. Daily maid service for fresh towels and to replace bathroom essentials and take the trash. The rooms are nice , especially for the price . Family owned and oriented. I would definitely stay here again. There was 3 stairwells and an elevator. As ocean front as you can get ! Cannot wait to return!

The only downside was: rusty shower head and shower rod, we also found several loose hairs sparaticly throughout the room from time to time like on the towels or on the bed padding, probably from the washing machine.. I'm a hairdresser so it didn't really bother me .

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Chiotilidieo
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This wonderful, family-owned motel on the beach offers a relaxed, safe, comfortable atmosphere directly on the ocean. All rooms have their own balconies or outside decks facing right on the beach. Rooms are extremely comfortable and have all the basics you need, including kitchen with oven, microwave, coffeemaker and plenty of dishes and basic pots and pans. The pool is beautiful! The best thing about this place, however, is the family who runs it. Members live onsite and provide great service for their guests.How do I know this? The Jamaica has become my elderly father's home-away-from-home when he wants to visit North Myrtle Beach because he can no longer negotiate the stairs at our condominium. He always is able to book a first-floor room at the Jamaica, and the staff checks on him and he has made genuine friends there. I can rest easy knowing he is able to have a safe vacation at the beach while staying here because they are so attentive and special. Staff members even gave him a special treat when he stayed there on his birthday recently.
If your idea of a vacation is one of the high-tech, glitzy new high rises that have popped up all over North Myrtle Beach, the Jamaica is not for you. If you want a classic mom-and-pop motel experience at its finest, with comfortable accommodations and a staff who genuinely cares about their guests, the Jamaica IS the place to be. I can't say enough about our three stays there so far and rest assured we will be back!

Room Tip: Senior citizens or others with mobility issues should consider a first-floor room. Easy access from...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank CatTraveler1968
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Have stayed at this family friendly Motel for years the staff is so frienldy and make you feel like family. The location in North Myrtle Beach is outstanding and plenty of room on the Beach directly in front of the motel to accomadate guests, also Parking is great.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family