We arrived at the Avista on Sunday July 30th at 1pm after driving straight through 14 1/2 hours. We had requested early arrival for check-in purposes and we were very grateful that our room was ready when we arrived. There is a specific parking/unloading area where baggage carts were provided at no cost-no bell boys to tip! After settling in, the front desk rang our room to confirm that "all was well" which I thougt was a nice touch. We stayed in the north/east tower on the sixth floor in a 3 bedroom corner unit. There were floor to ceiling windows in every bedroom and in the living/dining area. The sun shone in every morning and was a wonderful way to wake up. The rooms were very clean and smelled nicely. We had maid service everyday. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful in every way. We couldn't quite figure out the washer/dryer unit and phoned the front desk about it. They sent up a maintanance man less than 10 minutes later who walked us through the procedure. The washer/dryer units really do take over 3 hours to wash and dry a load, but they really do work properly! While in our kitchen we asked the maintanance man for an extra light bulb since we had one that had burned out and he returned very quickly with another one.
On the downside, our unit was not equipped with a safe. We could rent a safe that was just like the safety deposit boxes at the bank-small and narrow and do not hold much, for a $10 deposit which would be refunded upon return of the key. This safe however was located in the office behind the front desk. It seemed like I was invading someone's privacy and office space everytime I got in the safe to remove my belongings.
Our rooms were also not equipped with any clock radios but the front desk had one sent up to our room to satisfy our needs as well. The kitchen had a very small trash can in it and since we cooked several of our meals in our room, it seemed to overflow quickly. There were no blowdryers in any of the 3 bathrooms that were in our unit.. Thankfully we had packed our own.
One of the hot tubs had cold water in it and one day the repair men were fixing the lights in the hot tub which made me nervous since electricity and water do not mix. I thought this repair could have been tackled before the pools were opened or after hours. There was a bar poolside which would have been nice if it would have opened earlier in the day. Some days they could have used another bartender to help out. The frozen drinks were a hit with the kids.
We drove north a few miles to Calabash, North Carolina to a nice restaurant called the Dockside. We were able to watch the shrimp boats come in with their fresh catch of the day. We also purchased fresh shrimp there at $3.75 a pound!
We have stayed at the Sand Dunes for years and we were very unhappy with our stay there last year. After our visit to the Avista, we will never even think about returning to the Sand Dunes!
The Avisita was a wonderful, relaxing, full service resort and we all really enjoyed our stay. Can't wait to return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of North Myrtle Beach's newest oceanfront condominium resorts. Extraordinary features and architectural beauty combine to offer visitors the ultimate vacation experience. A condo to suit your every need and provide the finest experience possible; this is what differentiates between an average resort and the Avista Resort. As one of the first guests to have the opportunity to enjoy the experience of our new resort it will be our pleasure to serve you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Vacatia, Hotels.com and Cancelon so you can book your Avista Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avista Myrtle Beach
- Avista Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Avista North Myrtle Beach
- Avista Hotel n Myrtle Beach