“great place, loved it”

Avista Resort
Middletown, New Jersey
“great place, loved it”
Reviewed August 31, 2005

My family of 4 visited the resort on 8/20-8/27 and we had an excellent experience. Check-in was a breeze. Everyone was extremely friendly. Our room was beautiful, 9th floor 2br/2ba, ocean front. Bedrooms were a great size, the living room area could have been bigger but with 3 tvs in the unit we did not have any problems with it. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything we needed. Of course the washer/dryer combo not my favorite it did take FOREVER for stuff to dry, (I learned the hard way the first night there I packed it and added too much detergent it actually took over 5 hours to dry!). From then on I did small loads and it worked ok. Housekeeping was great. While they did not really do a good cleaning everyday, but they made the beds, took out the trash and gave us clean towels. For me as long as I don't have to make the beds while I'm on vacation I'm happy. One day she even loaded and ran our dishwasher. The beach was great. I did not see any garbage and it was not crowded at all. (I'm from NJ and I know crowded beaches). The pools were crowded definately not big enough for the amount of guests and there were some out of control kids, however I do not blame the hotel for not keeping them in line, I blame the parents. They really do need bathrooms on the pool level. It is a pain to either go up to the lobby or your room when you are soaking wet and full of sand. The parking...we did not have any trouble with the parking for check-in. We drive a good sized truck and my husband was fine with it. But, the parking across the street kind of bugged him. If we got in late we would have to park on the upper levels and it was hard with the kids so he would drop us off in the lobby and meet us upstairs. Overall we had a great time and I would stay again.

5 Thank Mjdn4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 27, 2005

We have just returned from a 4-nights at the Avista resort. Overall, it was a nice place. The rooms are clean and spacious. Our room,1028, was a corner one on 10th floor, 2 BR/ 2BT/QS, ocean front. We had a great view of the beach and the pools. The employees were very nice and polite, from the uploading screw, the front desk to the room service screw. On our first night there, we had to call them several times for missing items such as diswashing soaf, laundry detergent, extra trash bags.... and they were very patient with us. The pools are nice but a little small.
One thing I must complain is the washer/dryer combo unit. I have never seen anything like that and it did not work well at all. The dryer function was very slow and ineficient. We had to dry our clothes outside on the balcony, or use iron to make them dry when it's not sunny. We had 2 families with young children and this washer/dryer combo did not work for us at all. I understand it was up to the private owner of the unit to change it, but if the resort decided to have the washer/dryer in the unit, they should have something that work, or they would be better off with the coin-operating washer/dryer. The room private owner also did not supply enough cooking gears, pots, pans, and only one small basket to clean the vegetables. We had to buy an extra cooker and left it behind for next users.
Overall, it was a nice, relaxing stay. We enjoyed the beach, the view, and the indoor pools. The employees were very nice and polite. However, we would not stay at this resort again unless the situation with the washer/dryer is resolved.

3 Thank JaneHouston_Texas
Ohio
Reviewed August 26, 2005

My family of 3 just returned from our 5-night stay at the Avista (Aug 21-26). We loved the hotel and its location. North Myrtle Beach is much less hectic and the hotel was wonderful.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo (I believe the layout was an 'L' unit). It had 2 balconies - 1 off the living room, 1 off the bedroon.

The bedroom had 2 comfortable beds, a closet (safe in the closet), a dresser, a television (with remote), a floor-length mirror, and floor-to-ceiling windows on 2 walls.

The kitchen was small (it was actually in the hall between the bedroom and the living room). It was fully-stocked, with pots & pans, baking pans, dishes, glasses, and sliverware. There was a refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, and microwave. All worked very well.

The living room had a murphy bed, table and chairs, a sofa and an arm chair. The television in this room was in a tall cabinet. It was an okay size for our small family, but it would probably be pretty tight for more than 3 people.

The balcony off the living room had a nice view to the beach and ocean. There were 4 plastic chairs and 2 plastic tables out there.

The bathroom was great! It had a nice sink with plenty of counter space and 2 large cabinets underneath. The tub was huge and the shower was heavenly (lots of water pressure).

As for the location of our room - I would have liked to have been on a higher floor. We were on the sixth floor and right outside the sliding glass door in the bedroom was the air conditioning unit for the middle section of the hotel. When you stepped out onto the balcony, the fan on the air conditioner was very, very loud. But, with the door closed, you could not hear it. The other drawback to the room was the spotlight right outside the other bedroom window. The spotlight was lighting up the foad-side of the building. When we went to bed at night, it looked like daytime outside because of the light. THe curtains did a great job of blocking out that light.

As for the pool area: we didn't swim in the pools because the reason we came to the beach was to be on the beach and in the ocean. The pools were a bit crowded inside and out. There seemed to be plenty of chairs, althhough some of them were in the grass outside the pool area. We did go in the lazy river the last night we were there (actually both the indoor and outdoor ones) - and the water seemed to move you along just fine. The indoor hot tub was wonderful.

The parking deck: We never had any trouble parking (and we drive a Pontiac Montana - a large mini-van). We nearly always backed-in to a parking space with no trouble. The walk from the hotel to the parking deck was also no problem. The traffic wasn't heavy, so it wasn't hard to cross the street.

We also ate breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. They had a menu and also had a breakfast buffet. The buffet was great - lots to choose from and actually very good for buffet food.

Overall, I would say the Avista was wonderful. I would definitely stay there again and suggest to friends to also stay there.

7 Thank jjnbell
Reviewed August 24, 2005

The avista resort is a great choice. It's relatively affordable, with lots of amenities.
Pros: Bellhops available when you drive up
Great suites, especially if you are oceanfront
Fast, courteous service
In room safes
Family atmosphere
Great beach location
Nicely equipped fitness room

Cons:
The all in one washer and dryer (a good idea, but clothes come out damp, if you can even get the thing to open)
Online reservations through avista resort didn't process my requsest or charge my card, so I had to call
Wireless internet $10/day

Tips:
Beach chair rentals are $25/day so bring your own
I went during the week and found the beaches less crowded in the afternoon

I would definitely stay here again!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

We recently spent our honeymoon at the Avista Resort and we were floored at how great it was. From Room Service to the amenities we were not disappointed at all!! Everyone was welcoming and friendly. It was spotless (clean) and the beach was wonderful!! I would greatly recommend this resort! We will be going back!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2005

We have stayed many places at Myrtle Beach and this is by far the nicest resort we have stayed at. Alot of the complaints I am hearing are nothing that you don't hear about every other resort. With the amount of people that visit Myrtle Beach, you can expect croweded check-ins and not being able to find a cart. That's only logical. As far as the parking, unless you drive a bus there is plenty of room. I've parked in a lot worse. The resort is very clean, always had plenty of towels, shampoo, dish washing detergent, etc. We stayed in a one bedroom condo on the 9th floor. We had plenty of room and a wonderful view. I agree that the washer and dryer are useless but there is washer and dryers across from the fitness room. It has a very nice restaurant with good food and reasonble prices. Employees are very nice. Steve went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable. It is a new resort and it should've been expected that there would be a few kinks to work out when vacation season started. People who thought that everything would be completed and working properly must have had blinders on. It just opened in Feb, 05. Give them a break, it is just now 6months. I've stayed at places that have been open for years and still have these problems. I think N Myrtle Beach and Avista are wonderul. We will defnitely stay here next year. Thanks for a wonderul vacation.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2005

We stayed four nights at the Avista (Aug 10-14) in a 3BR non-smoking corner ocean-front unit on the 8th floor. The unit was very nice, new and clean - with comfy beds, great views and a nice little well-stocked kitchen. Our fridge was faulty, however, and would not stay closed. We had maintenance come look at it, but it wasn't fixed. It needed to be taped shut! Anyway -- the rest of the kitchen was just fine. I will agree that the washer/dryer combo was a joke. Used it once -- but the items I put in it came out of it smelling REALLY weird. Sort of chemical-like smell. Never used it again. We dried our beach towels on the balcony, like everyone else...

One major complaint about the units: The sliding glass doors onto the balcony would not lock. As we stayed on the 8th floor, it made me a nervous wreck considering the small children in our group. I couldn't sleep at night with no lock on the door for fear that one of the kids would wander out there at night or early in the morning, so we wedged an umbrella pole in the track of the sliding door to prevent potential tragedy! There appeared to be a lock on the door, but it wouldn't catch. Tried for an hour to lock it one night...but it wouldn't work.

Our group consisted of two couples with 5 children between us -- and I will say that dragging all of our beach stuff (umbrellas, sand toys, floaties,etc) up and down to the beach from a high rise hotel situation was rough duty. Exhausting actually. Also--the route to the beach was less than pleasant. You have to trudge thru the indoor pool area which is a crowded, steamy sauna-like room. Though signs were posted everywhere in this indoor pool area stating that there would be no running or boisterous behaviour near the pools, there were ALWAYS loud, hyper teenage kids pushing and shoving each other into the pools and my husband witnessed several accidents/near-miss injuries,etc-- but we never saw any hotel employees ask them to stop.

The outdoor pools were extremely crowded and we didn't like the design - which featured narrow walkways in between the different pools with very little room to walk in between the lounge chairs. Our older kids liked the lazy river, but the "current" in it was weak so it wasn't quite what we expected, but was okay. Also - the outdoor pools had tons of sand in them. One other major complaint: The pools close at 10pm. The hotel staff comes out and gets everyone out of the pool at 10pm. We thought that was too early. We feel 11pm was more appropriate - since we would head out for dinner around 6 or 7, followed by another outing like putt-putt or the aquarium, then come home to the hotel hoping for a little night swim before bed but we rarely had enough time since we returned to the hotel around 9:30 every night. For the price you pay to stay here, the pools are really the only attraction - and yet they close them so early.

The beach was INSANELY crowded. I cannot stress this enough. Reminded me of those old photos of crowded beaches in the 1950s where you cannot even see the sand in between beach towels. You could hardly find a place to set up your umbrella and gear -- and the sand was positively LITTERED with trash (bottle caps, cup lids, snack trash) and cigarette butts nearly everywhere you look. The hotel would do well to invest in a beach clean-up crew to clean up litter and cigarette butts every evening. That was a REAL turn-off -- especially when my 2 year old kept picking them up. YUCK! It really was one of the dirtiest beaches I have ever seen.

Also - there were no pool area restrooms. Strange! If one of the kids had to go to the bathroom, we had to walk thru the lobby, in front of fully dressed guests, in our suits and cover-ups and flip-flops and use the lobby bathroom. Huge design oversight!

Maid service at the hotel was fair. For some reason, the one time they could actually get in there and do some clean-up for us, when we weren't in there putting kids down for naps, etc, - they only changed/made one bed and left the others undone..? Not sure why.

Overall, the place was okay but did NOT have a resort feel to it at all, like it claims to be. I seriously doubt we'll return.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#2 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#17 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!