“Loved the Avista and North Myrtle Beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avista Resort

and 1 more site!
Avista Resort
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the Avista and North Myrtle Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2005

We have stayed many places at Myrtle Beach and this is by far the nicest resort we have stayed at. Alot of the complaints I am hearing are nothing that you don't hear about every other resort. With the amount of people that visit Myrtle Beach, you can expect croweded check-ins and not being able to find a cart. That's only logical. As far as the parking, unless you drive a bus there is plenty of room. I've parked in a lot worse. The resort is very clean, always had plenty of towels, shampoo, dish washing detergent, etc. We stayed in a one bedroom condo on the 9th floor. We had plenty of room and a wonderful view. I agree that the washer and dryer are useless but there is washer and dryers across from the fitness room. It has a very nice restaurant with good food and reasonble prices. Employees are very nice. Steve went out of his way to make our stay enjoyable. It is a new resort and it should've been expected that there would be a few kinks to work out when vacation season started. People who thought that everything would be completed and working properly must have had blinders on. It just opened in Feb, 05. Give them a break, it is just now 6months. I've stayed at places that have been open for years and still have these problems. I think N Myrtle Beach and Avista are wonderul. We will defnitely stay here next year. Thanks for a wonderul vacation.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2005

We stayed four nights at the Avista (Aug 10-14) in a 3BR non-smoking corner ocean-front unit on the 8th floor. The unit was very nice, new and clean - with comfy beds, great views and a nice little well-stocked kitchen. Our fridge was faulty, however, and would not stay closed. We had maintenance come look at it, but it wasn't fixed. It needed to be taped shut! Anyway -- the rest of the kitchen was just fine. I will agree that the washer/dryer combo was a joke. Used it once -- but the items I put in it came out of it smelling REALLY weird. Sort of chemical-like smell. Never used it again. We dried our beach towels on the balcony, like everyone else...

One major complaint about the units: The sliding glass doors onto the balcony would not lock. As we stayed on the 8th floor, it made me a nervous wreck considering the small children in our group. I couldn't sleep at night with no lock on the door for fear that one of the kids would wander out there at night or early in the morning, so we wedged an umbrella pole in the track of the sliding door to prevent potential tragedy! There appeared to be a lock on the door, but it wouldn't catch. Tried for an hour to lock it one night...but it wouldn't work.

Our group consisted of two couples with 5 children between us -- and I will say that dragging all of our beach stuff (umbrellas, sand toys, floaties,etc) up and down to the beach from a high rise hotel situation was rough duty. Exhausting actually. Also--the route to the beach was less than pleasant. You have to trudge thru the indoor pool area which is a crowded, steamy sauna-like room. Though signs were posted everywhere in this indoor pool area stating that there would be no running or boisterous behaviour near the pools, there were ALWAYS loud, hyper teenage kids pushing and shoving each other into the pools and my husband witnessed several accidents/near-miss injuries,etc-- but we never saw any hotel employees ask them to stop.

The outdoor pools were extremely crowded and we didn't like the design - which featured narrow walkways in between the different pools with very little room to walk in between the lounge chairs. Our older kids liked the lazy river, but the "current" in it was weak so it wasn't quite what we expected, but was okay. Also - the outdoor pools had tons of sand in them. One other major complaint: The pools close at 10pm. The hotel staff comes out and gets everyone out of the pool at 10pm. We thought that was too early. We feel 11pm was more appropriate - since we would head out for dinner around 6 or 7, followed by another outing like putt-putt or the aquarium, then come home to the hotel hoping for a little night swim before bed but we rarely had enough time since we returned to the hotel around 9:30 every night. For the price you pay to stay here, the pools are really the only attraction - and yet they close them so early.

The beach was INSANELY crowded. I cannot stress this enough. Reminded me of those old photos of crowded beaches in the 1950s where you cannot even see the sand in between beach towels. You could hardly find a place to set up your umbrella and gear -- and the sand was positively LITTERED with trash (bottle caps, cup lids, snack trash) and cigarette butts nearly everywhere you look. The hotel would do well to invest in a beach clean-up crew to clean up litter and cigarette butts every evening. That was a REAL turn-off -- especially when my 2 year old kept picking them up. YUCK! It really was one of the dirtiest beaches I have ever seen.

Also - there were no pool area restrooms. Strange! If one of the kids had to go to the bathroom, we had to walk thru the lobby, in front of fully dressed guests, in our suits and cover-ups and flip-flops and use the lobby bathroom. Huge design oversight!

Maid service at the hotel was fair. For some reason, the one time they could actually get in there and do some clean-up for us, when we weren't in there putting kids down for naps, etc, - they only changed/made one bed and left the others undone..? Not sure why.

Overall, the place was okay but did NOT have a resort feel to it at all, like it claims to be. I seriously doubt we'll return.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Verona, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2005

Our family of 4 stayed at the Avista Resort for 5 nights in early August (5th floor, ocean view.) The room was designed well, very spacious. The floor plan and specs from their web site were identical to the room we received. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes & pans. Two large grocery stores are also a short drive away. High-speed Internet worked great, as did the dishwasher, tv’s, a/c, etc. The view was very good from our location, although a higher floor would probably have a better view.

The room was very, very clean – the cleaning staff did a great job. Registration was relatively quick, and everyone we encountered who worked for Avista seemed very nice and helpful. The hotel is in the northern part of North Myrtle Beach, so it’s a bit more secluded than other resorts south in Myrtle Beach. It is surrounded by small 3-4 story condos, so the beaches are less crowded and it gives you a decent view.

The pools were small, but who needs them when you’re at the ocean? (The indoor and outdoor pools & lazy rivers are great for kids.) Lots of activities for younger kids, including arts and crafts. There were plenty of chairs around the pool during our stay. The beach was great – very wide and not too crowded. Exercise room had great equipment – I worked out twice and it was nearly empty each time. No comment on the food at the hotel since we never ate there.

The parking garage is across the street, but parking was ample. Garage is tight, so large SUV drivers beware. 20 minute parking is available at the main entrance, so loading/unloading is relatively easy. There are 3 elevators; we usually didn’t have to wait very long.

We made a reservation directly through Avista via e-mail and received a very good rate. Last year, we stayed at Bay Watch, but we thought Avista was better. Bay Watch is still very nice and we’d recommend them as well, but Avista was less crowded and seemed to be a better value.

No real complaints to report at all. This was truly a first class vacation. We would strongly recommend Avista to anyone coming to the Myrtle Beach area.

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank avenger79
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

July 30-Aug.6th

We stayed in a 2 bedroom on the second floor. We never had to deal with elevators. The room was very spacious. It was very clean and we had plenty of towels. Kitchen was stocked well. However, after the first night of using the coffee and dishwashing detergent they never replenished it. I finally had to ask for it, and again they didn't replace it when I used it. I went to the restaurant to buy the coffee and I left them with a dishwasher full of dishes. The beds were very comfortable. The sinks in the bathroom were pedestal so we just used the table from the balcony for our toiletries.

I have been going to Myrtle Beach for ten years. I have heard wonderful things about North Myrtle, so we decide to stay there this year. I felt the beach was very crowded. We were on top of each other. Thank god we had friendly people around us.

The talk on the beach was the washer and dryer. Don't even bother using them. I put 2 shirts and 2 shorts in, and it washes for 1 hour and when you dry it, it runs for 3 hours and all you have is hot, wet, steaming clothes. I came up for lunch ran it on dry another 3 hours and it was still soaking wet. I called down to maintenance and they said the machines are useless and they get about 10 calls a day on them. There is no vent in them on lint screen. The hotel is not saving money. Their electric bill must be sky high. I was mad because I packed light thinking I could wash during the week. I just hung things out and they dried quicker.

The parking garage is crazy!!!! Almost impossible getting into and out of the spots. The height was good, but the width of the spots were tight, and no room for two way traffic.

Checking in was crazy, but that is to be expected on a Saturday afternoon.

We went through about a dozen of room keys. We started with 4 keys for 4 people in the room. Whenever we would go to the room, one of our keys would not work. After the 3rd time the manager said to keep it away from cell phones and other credit cards which I did but it still failed. We travel a lot and I never had that problem.

When we were checking out at 5AM, there was no luggage cart to be found. The front desk told me that people bring them in their room the night before.

The fitness center was pretty lame. I only went once because there was nothing to wipe the machines down with. It was crowed and you have a Lot of people sweating on these machines and nothing to disinfect with. I did go to the front desk to make the suggestion to have a roll of paper towels with a bottle of disinfectant, they said okay. I am sure it never got anywhere.

There was no pool bar. And there was no bathroom by the pool. I went up to my room on the second floor, but it was inconvenient. The lady on the beach made a comment that she goes in the pool. Needless to say, I never used the pool.

I know these comments are mostly negative. I just think they need to work out the kinks.
We really had a great time. The staff was friendly. I won't stay there again only because I think North Myrtle is just to far from the things we like to do, not because of the hotel.

1 Thank valentine287
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2005

The Avista is absolutely wonderful. Being a scientist, I did much research and read all of the reviews before booking our annual trip to North Myrtle beach, as there are many choices. Our family (w/ 3 small kids) stayed at the Avista from July 15-23 and it was a great time. The unit we stayed in (3-bdrm, 12th floor) was equiped with books, games, DVD/VCR, a video library with several DVDs as well, a multitude of cooking utensils, and extra storage in bathrooms. We must have been one of the lucky ones, as I understand each condo unit owner provides these extras (they did a great job with this unit). As others have mentioned, the beds were comfortable, the views were great, the air conditioner worked 10X better than ours at home, and the staff/service were extremely friendly and helpful. Perhaps what I liked the most was the architecture of the building. Obviously the pie-shaped units maximize the amount of living space while providing almost everyone with a view of the ocean. From the beach, the building is absolutely a work of art! Other reviewers have noted crowded beaches, but this was not the case for us. Every day was 95, and the beaches were empty until about 10 am. Most people left at 4 or 5, but even during peak time it was not crowded. The resort was located at the far end of North Myrtle beach, with smaller buildings adjacent to it which is likely why it wasn't that crowded. We have stayed at the Ashworth (a couple buildings down), and also at the Sea Castle (about 12 blocks down), and both those were very crowded and the beach packled solid from highrise after highrise. The Avista appears to be the last tall building before Cherry Grove a couple of miles down. We didn't spend much time at the pools, but I did notice they were smallish and most of the lounge chairs were taken. But again, who goes to Myrtle Beach to lounge by the pool when there is 84 degree ocean water 100 feet away? We also enjoyed the daily activities for the kids- they painted shells, made tie-dyed shirts, had water baloon contests, a great time!
The check-in process was crazy, but not out of the ordinary for those of us returning during peak season. Saturday afternoon is when most of the beach traffic arrives. We arrived about 3:30. There were 3 elevators, which couldn't handle all the people, but never waited more than a minute or two. (I honestly have not been somewhere that could handle the saturday transition). I made 3 trips up (all the luggage carts were in use) and it took less than 1 hour. I heard many unhappy people, making comments about not being able to check in early, or no carts, or the wait at the elevator, etc. The truth is, this must have been their first time to the beach on a Saturday because this is how it is. since we've been going to the beach, it has always taken about 1 hour to unload and bring all our stuff in, and this was no different. One lady was upset because her unit wasn't ready at 1 pm (check-in is at 3 pm). How can you expect to turn over all those units between 11 am and 3 pm with a normal staff? (I should note that other members of our party arriving before us were able to check-in early to our unit because it WAS ready early).
The downfalls I saw were the A/C and bathroom fans that were a little on the loud side, but were completely tolerable, and the smallish combo washer/dryer which worked fine, but took a bit longer to dry things. Also, the garage was tight, but has to be because of the size of the resort - just be careful. Other than that, it was a great time. The building was very dry and not musty like many of the other places we've stayed (due to the powerful A/C and ventless washer/dryer. The restaurant was great, especially for breakfast (kids half price!) and the bar had live music on the weekend. I liked the parking lot across the street (versus being attached) and I never heard car tires on the pavement during early hours of the morning which is common at most other places with attached garages. There was also a decent fireworks show on Friday and saturday night put on by the many pyros that stay there - almost everyone came out to watch them and cheered!
As a last note, we also stayed at the Avista in March for 2 days when it was only half finished and had an equally great time. A lot of the kinks have been worked out between our March and July stays, and in the week we were there, all of the landscaping across the street was completed and several trailor buildings disappeared. I can only immagine how it will be next year. Final thought - be preparred for a crowd during peak season (this shouldn't be a surprise) but also for a great time if you just relax, take it easy, and spend time on the beach during high tide.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rockingham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2005

We had a wonderful weekend at the Beach. The hotel was great!! It was right on the beach with lots of pools available to everyone. The rooms were very nice and well kept. PARKING-you do have to park across the street in a parking deck (that's really the only down fall). I will plan to stay here my next trip to the BEACH!!!!

8 Thank ibatarheel
Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2005

We just returned from the Avista Resort on July 29, 2005. With the exception of the extreme heat, we had a great time.

The resort is beautiful compared to the average MB resort. Our room was on the 5th floor, we had a three bedroom end unit with an ocean view, it's such a beautiful beach.

My minor complaints are the usuals, slow elevators, small pools, parking, etc. But I could easily say the same for just about every MB resort I've ever stayed at so they really did not bother me. The beds were very comfortable, the air conditioning worked great and we loved the overall layout.

Our one major complaint was the fact that the internet connection did not work. We complained at least a half dozen times and got nowhere, they simply did not care. Considering that my husband lugged his laptop through airports, this was a HUGE annoyance, they never bothered to come up to the room to try to fix it.

Though everything is open, we were also disappointed that there is no pool bar or outdoor snack bar, they serve soft drinks only. We did try the restaurant for dinner one night, the food was surprisingly good. We also tried the breakfast buffet once but we found everything very salty.

Overall we loved it and would definitely stay there again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank NEGirl-7
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#5 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,356 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#1 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,493 reviews

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!