“Beach front property, very clean, reasonable in October.”
Review of Avista Resort

Avista Resort
Carroll, Ohio, United States
“Beach front property, very clean, reasonable in October.”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We took an overnight trip to the beach in early October. Sometimes it is difficult to get a place for a single night, but The Avista fit the bill.The Avista was clean, had a great view of the water, and plenty of pools and hot tubs! They have a fitness center and restaurant (a nice addition) The beach area was great. The room wasn't extravagant, but nice. The cost for a one bedroom, kitchenette, large bathroom with small jacuzzi and living area with balcony and pull down additional bed was less than $100 off season. Room 503 was nice, but one of the TVs did not work and the bed was very low to the floor. We only stayed one night, so didn't ask for anything to be fixed. Help was friendly.

Room Tip: I believe there are some rooms that have two sides viewing the water at a corner. There are not ice...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Zach F, Front Office Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Brenda M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us here at the Avista Resort. We are very happy to see that you had a fantastic time and that the Avista was just what you were looking for. In the future when you return please don't hesitate to let us know of any issues so that we can get them corrected immediately. We look forward to hosting you and yours again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The rooms were clean but in need of upgrading. Close to all the clubs,and outlets. The restaurant was sadly a let down. Waitstaff was great but the kitchen wasn't.The DJ at the poolwas anice addition.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 555Shermans
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your nice comment about our staff and the property but we do apologize about the kitchen. Can you contact me at info@avistaresort.com and let me know what occurred with your food please. We want every part of your stay with us to be pleasant and would appreciate any critique. Glad you enjoyed the DJ as well, we have been having them more and more on Saturdays in the hopes to start our guests vacation off and let everyone know they are not working but are on “Vacation Time” now, glad you had fun.
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very clean. Its very close to restaurants and shopping outlets. First time to north myrtle beach and this resort makes us want to come back next year. Our room was updated very clean, beds were soft. Thanks for a good time

• Stayed September 2013
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about the Avista Resort and North Myrtle Beach. We too hope you will return, as we think this is the best part of the beach to stay, and we hope to become your vacation home for the future. While we appreciate any comments to help us it is especially rewarding to get such a positive review of the property and our wonderful staff, thank you again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at Avista Sept. 20-23 for the first time. Great location within walking distance to clubs, etc. Reservation staff was friendly and responsive. All the employees I encountered were courteous and helpful. The restaurant couldn't handle the dinner crowd, so I had to go out for dinner. I had the same problem as many others, towels left on chairs poolside overnight to "save" seats. I simply removed a towel that I noticed had been on the chair for a long time with no one in sight. I paid as the other guests and wanted to spend time by the pool as well. Would love to know the name of the drink made poolside, it was awesome. Overall great time and I will stay again.

Room Tip: I had an 8th floor oceanview room and it was great. The rude guests I referred to in my title were s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Cindy H
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Welcome! We hope this is the first of many visits with the Avista and our staff. Thank you for your comments and your common sense approach to the towel issue. We can't keep up with all the towels and can only hope our guests will be courteous of others and I am grateful you found a solution to those who are not.

Thank you for your nice comment about our staff and yes the restaurant received much more business than is typical and we had some delays but again I am grateful you took it in stride and had a wonderful stay while visiting North Myrtle Beach.

Hope to see you back soon.
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for six of our ten day vacation to Myrtle Beach for our 25th. anniversary, Surprisingly it was probably one the best Hotel's we have stayed at of all our vacations to the U.S.A. with the only exception being the loud music played outside in the pool area daily, mixed tunes and some I didn't like, and I like most music, but not everyday all day long, once or twice a week would have been enough, otherwise for value and accommodation's it was great, we requested a smokers suite which they only had six of and unfortunately was why we couldn't stay the whole ten days, they were full pre-booked on those last for days which we spent at the Hilton Embassy Suite not far from the Avista, but for all they have in room, full appliances from fridge to stove, full set of dishes and dish washer, microwave, a great twelve cup coffee maker and multiple coffee bags both regular and de-café, a toaster, food mixer, two good sized flat screen TV's with lot's of working stations, except HBO or pay per view, which I surprised us as they usually come standard in all hotels now, otherwise the room was super large with a great double bed queen sized, nice dressers, closet, electronic safe, pull down wall bed in the living room with a nice couch and chair, a full set of table and chairs in the dinette area, and vaulted ceilings with beautiful pictures on all the walls, the bathroom was over sized compared to most normal or smaller rooms found usually, it had a great big bath tub Jacuzzi size, but standard faucets and shower which was just ok, also a retractable clothes hanger string across the tub area for drying and with the washer and dryer stacked in a hall closet it was great, covered parking across the street in a multi-level with elevator and no additional charges including the internet which was wifi with a router in suite and fast connection., they also have a outdoor 24/7 which you can view over the internet from anywhere at their main hotel website link... http://www.avistaresort.com/default-en.html

Room Tip: Book early especially If you want a smokers room., get one facing away from the ocean if you don'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We are grateful you made us apart of your vacation plans and for taking the time to give such a great review of the property and what we have to offer. We do not normally have that much music, just Saturday, but with the SOS week we filled it with music and dance that week as so many of our guests do come for that purpose. Hopefully when you choose to visit us again we can help direct you to a little more relaxing stay.
Limestone, Tennessee
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I do not know if I will return.

I have stayed here for the past three years; however this past weekend’s visit was horrible.
Upon checking in the receptionist called me to let me know that my room was ready. So I headed to the resort. When I arrived the bell hop would not help me with my luggage or help me get a cart to load my luggage because I did not have my key. When I did bring my key back to the bell hop station was nowhere to be found.

The carpet in the elevator lobby was nasty. It had the most offensive odor. The elevators were hot inside all weekend.

Also, the carpet in the indoor pool area was nasty and smelled.

Upon entering out room I was pleased. It was clean!

The furniture in the bathroom was distraught, needing to be replaced. Too much water damage, and also not put together properly.

Then came the huge problem, the compact washer/dryer kept malfunctioning. Each time that I used the unit it would stay locked, even if direction were followed. I called the front desk for help, it was over 2 hours and still no assistance. I looked up online how to unlock it. It happened a third time, and this time it took forever to get it unlocked. When I called and told the front desk about the problem the said that they hate them and that they cause a lot of problems. These cost at least $1599 each. I know there are cheaper/better options.

We could not use the stove due to the stove eyes being warped/not level.

When we were using the indoor pool area there was not any chairs. If we brought chairs in from outside they were taken out immediately if we got up out of them. So there were not enough chairs for the guests.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
First I do want to apologize for the confusion with your checking in as the situation as you described is unacceptable and we will discuss this with our staff. I am not sure what happened with the elevators as the hotel is completely enclosed and the elevator lobbies are all air conditioned. I assume with the number of guests that week they may have been warmer than normal. I am grateful your unit was very clean as we do try very hard to ensure our Condos are the best maintained properties on the beach. Our guest have come to expect this and we have tried hard to make this our "standard'. These combo washer/dryers are required to be vent less systems so our options are limited. The door functions can be complicated so we do try and keep directions with each unit and will ensure they get back into every unit so this process is not as confusing. Again please accept our apologies for the incidents that occurred and know these are not normal nor acceptable to us and we will work on each and every concern.
atlanta
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We spent 3 nights here recently. We enjoyed the hotel. It is beginning to slip a little with age. But, is still a great value. The service is very good and staff is nice. the only thing is that people reserve the seats around the pool by putting towels on them. So, by 9-10 am, there were no seats. But, plenty of them had towels on them but no guests to be found.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patch111
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Glad you stayed with us again and appreciated your comments. We are at the end of the prime season so we will be repairing and painting everything to get it as new as possible for next year. We know time marches on so we work very hard to maintain the property in the best condition we can. I also appreciate your noting our wonderful staff as they really do care about the resort and our guests.
With regard to the pool towels we have tried everything but unfortunately came to the conclusion we cannot make guest behave in a proper manner if they are not inclined to so we remind them of our policy but due to the confrontations with a small minority of guests we have to leave the signs and good courteous behavior to them as it is almost impossible to keep up with the towels on all the hundreds of chairs without upsetting someone. We hope you come back now that we have slowed and enjoy the great rates and relaxed feel of the beach and the pool deck in the fall!
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#19 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#2 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!