“Great Hotel”

Avista Resort
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for six of our ten day vacation to Myrtle Beach for our 25th. anniversary, Surprisingly it was probably one the best Hotel's we have stayed at of all our vacations to the U.S.A. with the only exception being the loud music played outside in the pool area daily, mixed tunes and some I didn't like, and I like most music, but not everyday all day long, once or twice a week would have been enough, otherwise for value and accommodation's it was great, we requested a smokers suite which they only had six of and unfortunately was why we couldn't stay the whole ten days, they were full pre-booked on those last for days which we spent at the Hilton Embassy Suite not far from the Avista, but for all they have in room, full appliances from fridge to stove, full set of dishes and dish washer, microwave, a great twelve cup coffee maker and multiple coffee bags both regular and de-café, a toaster, food mixer, two good sized flat screen TV's with lot's of working stations, except HBO or pay per view, which I surprised us as they usually come standard in all hotels now, otherwise the room was super large with a great double bed queen sized, nice dressers, closet, electronic safe, pull down wall bed in the living room with a nice couch and chair, a full set of table and chairs in the dinette area, and vaulted ceilings with beautiful pictures on all the walls, the bathroom was over sized compared to most normal or smaller rooms found usually, it had a great big bath tub Jacuzzi size, but standard faucets and shower which was just ok, also a retractable clothes hanger string across the tub area for drying and with the washer and dryer stacked in a hall closet it was great, covered parking across the street in a multi-level with elevator and no additional charges including the internet which was wifi with a router in suite and fast connection., they also have a outdoor 24/7 which you can view over the internet from anywhere at their main hotel website link... http://www.avistaresort.com/default-en.html

Room Tip: Book early especially If you want a smokers room., get one facing away from the ocean if you don'...
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
We are grateful you made us apart of your vacation plans and for taking the time to give such a great review of the property and what we have to offer. We do not normally have that much music, just Saturday, but with the SOS week we filled it with music and dance that week as so many of our guests do come for that purpose. Hopefully when you choose to visit us again we can help direct you to a little more relaxing stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Limestone, Tennessee
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I do not know if I will return.

I have stayed here for the past three years; however this past weekend’s visit was horrible.
Upon checking in the receptionist called me to let me know that my room was ready. So I headed to the resort. When I arrived the bell hop would not help me with my luggage or help me get a cart to load my luggage because I did not have my key. When I did bring my key back to the bell hop station was nowhere to be found.

The carpet in the elevator lobby was nasty. It had the most offensive odor. The elevators were hot inside all weekend.

Also, the carpet in the indoor pool area was nasty and smelled.

Upon entering out room I was pleased. It was clean!

The furniture in the bathroom was distraught, needing to be replaced. Too much water damage, and also not put together properly.

Then came the huge problem, the compact washer/dryer kept malfunctioning. Each time that I used the unit it would stay locked, even if direction were followed. I called the front desk for help, it was over 2 hours and still no assistance. I looked up online how to unlock it. It happened a third time, and this time it took forever to get it unlocked. When I called and told the front desk about the problem the said that they hate them and that they cause a lot of problems. These cost at least $1599 each. I know there are cheaper/better options.

We could not use the stove due to the stove eyes being warped/not level.

When we were using the indoor pool area there was not any chairs. If we brought chairs in from outside they were taken out immediately if we got up out of them. So there were not enough chairs for the guests.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
First I do want to apologize for the confusion with your checking in as the situation as you described is unacceptable and we will discuss this with our staff. I am not sure what happened with the elevators as the hotel is completely enclosed and the elevator lobbies are all air conditioned. I assume with the number of guests that week they may have been warmer than normal. I am grateful your unit was very clean as we do try very hard to ensure our Condos are the best maintained properties on the beach. Our guest have come to expect this and we have tried hard to make this our "standard'. These combo washer/dryers are required to be vent less systems so our options are limited. The door functions can be complicated so we do try and keep directions with each unit and will ensure they get back into every unit so this process is not as confusing. Again please accept our apologies for the incidents that occurred and know these are not normal nor acceptable to us and we will work on each and every concern.
atlanta
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We spent 3 nights here recently. We enjoyed the hotel. It is beginning to slip a little with age. But, is still a great value. The service is very good and staff is nice. the only thing is that people reserve the seats around the pool by putting towels on them. So, by 9-10 am, there were no seats. But, plenty of them had towels on them but no guests to be found.

1 Thank patch111
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Glad you stayed with us again and appreciated your comments. We are at the end of the prime season so we will be repairing and painting everything to get it as new as possible for next year. We know time marches on so we work very hard to maintain the property in the best condition we can. I also appreciate your noting our wonderful staff as they really do care about the resort and our guests.
With regard to the pool towels we have tried everything but unfortunately came to the conclusion we cannot make guest behave in a proper manner if they are not inclined to so we remind them of our policy but due to the confrontations with a small minority of guests we have to leave the signs and good courteous behavior to them as it is almost impossible to keep up with the towels on all the hundreds of chairs without upsetting someone. We hope you come back now that we have slowed and enjoy the great rates and relaxed feel of the beach and the pool deck in the fall!
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Planned our first Myrtle Beach trip for the first week after Labor Day. This week also preceded a major Fall shag 10-day event. Great to have the car parked in the hotel's garage across the street with only a 5 minute walk at night to one of the 3 main shag clubs. This area is a 20 minute drive to the main boardwalk. Got a 1 bedroom condo on the 12th floor, King with partial ocean view & balcony. Told our condo was renovated but it's been years since we've had a flowered print comforter instead of the white duvet encasing a white down comforter. Not sure what to expect staying in a condo but there are no chain hotels in walking distance of the shag clubs. Fortunately, this condo operates like a hotel with front desk personnel available all the time. We had a full kitchen with microwave, oven, toaster & dishwasher (included dishwasher detergent). We had a washer and dryer too (but no washing machine detergent). Elevators are fast but did not like going to another level for the ice machines (ice on floors 3,5,9,11,16). Like others say, maid service quality was inconsistent - taking towels away but not replacing them - but front desk was responsive & friendly, even following up twice to make sure our concerns were corrected. However, even upon check-in, room was dusty - you don't want to look in the corners or next to the wall as there were pieces of lint & small debris. Their focus was on bathroom's cleanliness so that is good. One cute touch were the towels folded in a turkey shape around the faucets and the other towels were also intricately wrapped. I figure why bother the front desk with dust issues as this must be an acceptable standard of quality control for this building. Maybe they need better vacuum cleaners. A few minor inconveniences: (1) free wifi is available, but it only works in the lobby - front desk said there is a lot of metal but don't all high rises have same issue? (2) the safe in the closet faced the side of the closet so it was darn difficult to open the safe in the dark closet (3) only 10 hangars are in the closet and they are attached to the pole so bring your old wire hangars for back up (4) the iron is attached to the ironing board with some sort of bungee cord to prevent theft, I suspect, so be careful the iron does not fall on you. (5) Only one mirror in the condo and that was in the bathroom so it is tedious for two people to get ready at the same time - also the bathroom had only a pedestal sink - like a powder room so there was minimal storage space for your stuff, however there was a small cabinet to store things. (6) Restaurant: If we eat in same hotel we're staying at, it would only be on arrival day and at 6:30pm on a Sunday, there was not a hostess or wait staff in view. However, six tables were filled with couples, and we noticed everyone had their water glasses, but no one was eating or drinking. Not a good sign. Once the line started queuing up behind us, we went to the kitchen area and established eye contact with someone not in kitchen clothes and still no one came to seat us. When the couple waiting behind us left, we left too. Bottom line is we enjoyed Myrtle Beach (other reviews to follow) but as to whether we would stay in this hotel again, the answer is maybe yes, though we'd check out a couple of other condos first for price & amenities.

Room Tip: Get a room on one of the ice floors, but not next to ice machine(xx28), high level with partial or o...
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
It is a pleasure to have guests stay with us for the first time and we are especially grateful when this is their first trip to North Myrtle Beach. The SOS music and dance week is a great time to visit and we are pleased you enjoyed the area. We also acknowledge you were not as happy with the resort but I did want to give you a better insight. These rooms are all individually owned Condo’s that we rent out and they have not been renovated. We have been upgrading units and the individual owners choose to improve certain original items. We have added sofas, new carpet, new mattresses, granite counters, flat screen TV’s along with drapes and some other furnishings. The units may have all o these items replaced or only a few depending on the owners particular taste as these are their "homes" and reflect their personalities so you will find different looks with the exact same floor plan. What you should not have found was any dirt or dust as we take our responsibility of maintaining these Condo’s quite seriously and I do apologize for any finding not u to your standards. The extra touches do show the level we are willing to go but we have to get the basics right first. I do hope this individual feel is appealing and you find your vacation "home" with us as well.
O'Fallon, Missouri
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Avista from 9/8 til 9/14 and decided it was just an okay resort. The room we had was a 3 bedroom condo on the 15th floor and had recently been updated, so no complaints on the room. Maid service was practically non-existent, she came in one day to see if we needed towels and was in one other day to get the trash, dirty towels and made the beds. The hotel itself needs some paint in various places, especially the pool - which also needed to be cleaned more often - there were always bugs floating in the lazy river. Also, the pools are way too small for the number of rooms in the hotel. The beach is great, but the $25 a day to have two chairs and an umbrella is totally ridiculous - maybe for a week, but each day????

Room Tip: We were in condo 1501 which was a corner unit which was great, but in the afternoon, it was too hot...
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I certainly want to apologize for the lack of service to your rooms as this is an area we pride ourselves in so I will look into this as we want your visits to get better not worse. I also need to let you and other guests know that the hotel has no input on the charging of or the cost of the umbrellas the City provides on the beach. You can bring your own and sometimes housekeeping has some left behind that we share with our guests. We do appreciate your comments and the time you took to let us know where we can improve and I assure you we will make the effort and I know on your next visit you will be pleased again with your service.
Townville, SC
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Beautiful resort with plenty of amenities. One of the most friendliest front dest staff i have ever come across.We had an ocean view that put some ocean front views to shame! We were on the 17th floor on the end unit and could see for miles down the beach! The only negative we had was that the maid service wasnt great, but we dont requre much since we spend most of our time out of the room "shagging" We were so impressed though, that i booked the coming weekend! May be on my "favorites list for "SOS" in North Myrtle beach!

Room Tip: I recomend the top floor end unit!
2 Thank Janice A
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for being a repeat guest and spending part of your SOS vacation with the Avista and for the wonderful comments about our staff. I agree they are friendly and enjoy their work at the resort and the many wonderful guests who have chosen to make us their vacation “home”. It was very disappointing to see we did not take care of the room in a fashion we both expect and we will be discussing this with our management team at our weekly meet so we do not disappoint you again.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have stayed here on and off for 8-9you years. If tbis had been our first time we wouldn't go back and may not! I called a week ahead to make sue we would have a working stove. NOT ...sink didn't drain properly, washer dryer combo..dryer didnt work, (had wet cloths hanging everywhere ), problem with water leak in the room above, sticky bathroom floor and check in was at 4 pm! Turned down for early check in!! The reasons we stay are the location and pool music. Pleny of other places to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2013
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write and to let us know where we did not do our job to our satisfaction. No one should check into a room with this many issues and while we cannot stop water from coming into someone’s condo we can make sure the room is in good condition upon your arrival and for that we are truly sorry. We do know you have plenty of places to stay and appreciate your being a return guest. We do have different levels of Condo’s as these are all individually owned and therefore are not all the same. Please ask for an upgraded unit for your next visit as we do have units with the old W/D combo and they do not work very well. In fact we stopped even listed this as an option due to their performance but many owners have opted for the separate washer dryer units which are a little more like what we are used to. They still do not use forced air and the dehumidifier process takes a number of hours but it is the best option out there currently. Again please accept my apologies and we do hope you come back and have he stay we both know the Avista Resort can provide. If you could email me your room number I would like to look into these issues to ensure they have all been completed. jimeggen@mbseasideresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#7 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
#17 of 210 in Myrtle Beach
North Beach Plantation
North Beach Plantation
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!