“Another great stay and looking forward to next year...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Avista Resort

Avista Resort
London, Canada
“Another great stay and looking forward to next year...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Avista August 18 - 24. This was our second visit to Avista and we were very happy with our accommodations and the service we received. We have booked through the hotel both times, and haven't encountered any issues. The location is great!

Check in on Sunday afternoon was easy and took all of 8 minutes. Since there was only the two of us, unpacking wasn't a big deal and we were in our room within 20 minutes of arriving.
We chose an ocean view "L" room. Even though it's only "ocean view", the actual view was great. We were on the 8th floor in the north tower. Granted, a higher floor would have provided a better view, but we were happy with what we had.

The room itself was very clean, appliances all worked and was more than large enough for us. The king bed was comfortable and the flatscreens worked well. The safe in our room wouldn't program properly, but maintanance came up and fixed it on Monday. Housekeeping was very good every day and always left lots of towels.

I'd like to take a moment to comment on some of the issues that others on Trip Advisor have noted...

Parking: We had no issue with the parking garage. Sure it's tight, but take your time, use the mirrors on the corners and you won't have any problem. The fact it's across the street may be an issue for some, but it didn't bother us.

Washer/Dryer: Last year, our unit had a stackable washer and dryer, which was very nice. This year, we had one of those combo units that everyone complains about...and with good reason. We tried to dry some beach towels and they came out damper than when they went in!
They should consider getting rid of the combo laundry units. They're useless, but again, for just two of us, it wasn't an issue. We never intended on doing laundry anyway.

Elevators: I believe the hotel was nearly full the week we were there and I think the longest we waited for an elevator was maybe 4 or 5 minutes, if that. We never had any issues with the elevators, but maybe we're just more patient than some folks!

Pool area: Yes, it was crowded, but the pools were clean. We spent most of time on the beach anyway.

Tree Top Lounge: A huge disappointment...DEAD!! This place has so much potential, but when we walked in for happy hour around 5pm, there were two gents at the bar and the bartender. She couldn't even tell us what the happy hour specials were, so we left. Avista should consider some local entertainment or something. If you're looking for a good happy hour, go to Coconuts next door.

Just Off Main: We had dinner here one night and had the Prime Rib special. It was ok, it wasn't "special", but the price was very reasonable. I think they could raise the price a bit and dress up the meals a bit. The cut of meat was a bit small. The staff and service were great.

All in all, we were very pleased once again. We're already looking at booking for next year!

Room Tip: We prefer the ocean view to ocean front. I think the noise from the pool would be a problem for the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoorsGuy
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing to come back and for the kind words. We think we have a wonderful staff who do take great care of the property and it is so rewarding to hear from guests who have chosen to return. You are right on the room the LNS has wonderful floor to ceiling windows and a private balcony off the bedroom. The washer/dryer combo’s are not as efficient as we would hope as they do Sorry about the lounge we will look into that and we appreciated all the advise you gave us and assure you we are reading and will do whatever we can to make sure your third visit is your best yet.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
Gallipolis, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed for the third time at the Avista Resort. Stay was wonderful. The pool location is what makes it for us. The rooms and resort are kept clean. Everyone is helpful and nice. They are very glad you are there and aim to please. Anything that breaks is fixed immediately. Definitely recommend giving this resort a try.

Room Tip: Only have stayed in the 3 bedroom condos. They are quite. Also they have always been on the end, so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
3rd time is the charm, sorry had to, thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff and the condition of the Resort. Our folks do try so hard and in the busy months it can be tough so it is so gratifying when our guests notice, thank you, I look forward to passing your comments around!

Looking forward to number 4...
Harlan, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family and I go to Myrtle Beach atleast 2-3 times per year. I have stayed in many different places all around Myrtle Beach. Since the Avista opened it has been my favorite!! Greatest thing about the Avista are the rooms. Great size, great views, and ALWAYS clean! A bit of advice, the large ocean view rooms are better than the ocean front and a little cheaper. Floor to ceiling windows in living room and bedroom with great views all around!!! Plus, those rooms have 200 more sq feet!!

Room Tip: Great size, great views, and ALWAYS clean! A bit of advice, the large ocean view rooms are better t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christie J
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for coming back year after year and for making this your vacation “Home”. I could not agree more the LNS units have wonderful views with private balconies, one off the bedroom, ad so much sunshine! Thank you for the wonderful comments and for being a loyal guest. Much appreciated.
Weirton, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our 4th and final stay at the Avista. We stayed August 10th-19th. Last year we stayed at a sister resort to the Avista because our stay at the Avista in 2011 was less than ideal. Our stay at the other resort was horrible and in turn we were given "30% off" at a stay at any of the resorts owned by the company that owns the Avista. The 30% actually equaled 10% and even after arguing with the reservation specialist about it, I was told that the 30% off comes off their "rack" rate. I even pointed out that it doesn't say that in the letter I received so therefore I should have gotten 30% off of the rate I got online on the Avista website, but it did no good. So anyways, there was a history about our stay at the sister resort. They had all the nasty things we encountered and had to deal with because of the poor housekeeping right there in black and white. So because of all of that, we were offered, didn't ask for, but was offered an upgraded room at the Avista as well as VIP cleaning EVERY DAY. Remember, I didn't ask for any of that, it was offered and I gladly accepted. We had a two bedroom, two bath oceanfront unit. The room was fine. Granite counter tops, flat screen tvs (3 total) and newer carpet. The living room furniture appeared to be clean and perhaps even newer as well. The bedroom furniture was outdated and the cabinets in the bathroom were definitely the same ones the resort has had since they opened. The resort is STILL using those dirty, disgusting comforters that NO hotel or resort should still be using. Now on to why I am giving the Avista a poor rating.
Remember I was offered VIP cleaning EVERY DAY. It was even outlined in our reservations. When we arrived I found hair all over the bathroom floor and ended up cleaning it up myself. I also had to wipe down the front portion of the toilet with a Clorox wipe because you could tell that it had been overlooked (no visible urine stains, but you can tell when something is dirty or grimy for lack of a better word). I called housekeeping to address the hair issue and Gladys (sp?), the supervisor, assured me that it would be taken care of and that yes, the cleaning service knew that we had VIP cleaning every day. The next day we were there when the lady came to clean and I asked her if she knew we were supposed to get VIP cleaning. She, and the other ladies that cleaned our room, didn't understand English. I'm ok if you can 't speak it, but you need to understand it. I had to tell her and show her what to do. We tipped our housekeeping every day and we stayed for 8 nights. On the second and third days, the ladies that cleaned our rooms had no problem taking their tips for making our beds and taking dirty towels. The last straw for me was the third day when the young lady took one pile of dirty towels and made our beds and took her tip. She left NO clean towels in either bathroom. Keep in mind that I called housekeeping all three days and the second day the lady came back and cleaned, but the third day the young lady actually looked at me and said in front of what I'm assuming was some sort of supervisor with her "I took the towels on the floor". I said we're supposed to get VIP cleaning every day, you took those towels and didn't even leave us with any new ones. She ended up vacuuming the floors, left towels in our bathroom, but not in my mom and dad's! I gave up at that point. Oh and we were only given a new dish towel and dish cloth once during our whole stay. Since we've stayed here three previous times, I know what to typically expect from housekeeping. This was a big fail. There are only so many times I can call housekeeping and complain. If the supervisor can't get the staff to do their jobs properly, then no one can. The day we left, I did what most people do...check under the beds for anything you may have left. There is no underneath to the beds. There are panels. Well, clearly there wasn't even VIP cleaning done in that room before we got there. Found a pair of women's size 8 NY and Company sandals and men's dirty balled up socks. Not my husband's pair. My 3 year old found the socks. Nice. Had the floors been vacuumed with care and detail and the beds made properly there would have been no way to miss a pair of white sandals and balled up socks. Housekeeping is very important to me when vacationing. I want to feel as though I am in a clean environment and I want my family to be comfortable. Time to move on from the Avista. And that's too bad because we really did enjoy the resort our first two years and our son loves the pool area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ck111
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for writing about your stay and I am truly sorry that what happened during your stay will now keep you from staying with us. The 30% discount can get confusing as it is off our rack rate and there are times a discount is used that would not give you the full 30% during that time period but other times would allow for the full use of the discount. I do apologize that the cleaning service was not great each day as this is something we pride ourselves on but apparently some staff members let you down. I know our staff tried real hard and it is disappointing when any guest feels like we did not do a good job for them, again please accept my apologies for this.
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was disappointed with my stay at Avista Resort. I expected it to be a little cleaner and nicer than it was. The bed was extremely saggy in the middle. I felt like I was falling in every time I laid down, very uncomfortable. The elevators were unbelievably slow - I mean extremely unbelievably slow. The washer/dryer was very inefficient - the towels never got completely dry. The indoor pool area downstairs was very stinky, and strangely enough, there is NO restroom at all on that floor open to the pool-users. With small children, and the extremely slow elevators, this proved to be a real problem for us. That alone is something that would keep me from going back to this resort. The indoor lazy river was okay, as were the outdoor pools.

Another BIG problem for me was the fitness room. While it was very well equipped and maintained, and extremely clean I might add, it was said to open at 5 am. Both mornings I got there around 5;30 am, and had to go down to the front desk to have someone open it for me. I like to get my workouts done before the kids wake up, and since it was stated in the book in our room that it opened at 5 am, I expected to be able to walk in and start my workout. The first morning, a maintenance worker opened it for me after I waited at an empty front desk for over 10 minutes. The second morning, the inattentive front desk girl tried to tell me that they couldn't open it until 7 am! Lucky for me, the very same man overheard this conversation and volunteered to open it for me.

The fitness-room debaucle, slow elevators, and lack of restroom in the pool area will keep me from returning to this resort. It was a very disappointing stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for writing about your stay and I will try nd respond to some of your concerns. If you could let me know at info@avistarsort.com your room number so we can look into your bed. It should like something is broken as this should not ocurr. The elevator speed is set when built but I have notice the newer elevators are very slow, I Would guess to give the smoothest ride. We were not allowed to build a ground floor restroom but the city does have portable ones on the North end. This building was constructed with floor to ceiling windows so all the dryers are the dehumidifier type, not hot air, like most guests are used to so it will take 3 plus hours and still not have that dry air feel. We looked at option but could not resolve this issue. With regard to the fitness center the hours at 6:00AM to 10:00PM but I to saw some old guest information that shows it at 5:00 so we are giving out two sets of times. My apologies and we will pull this information from the rooms. Thank you for the positive comments about the cleanliness and condition of the room though.
Mount Airy, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Avista Resort, and that would make our third time staying there! The other two times was with my family and we stayed in the condos, we always enjoyed it so much! I feel it's like a tradition to stay at Avista now. When we recently went, it was for our one year wedding anniversary! They listened to our request of staying in middle hotel and ocrean front. The check-in staff was SUPER friendly! They knew it was our anniversary, which was strange but nice! There was towel swans, making a heart shape, everywhere in the room. The kitchen was all we needed. We only had a few problems which was our fridge stopped working, which could have been upseting since we had our cake with us! But we called and they fixed it that night. They also replaced our TV during our stay, from a regular TV to a flat screen, they did this while we were out of the beach so they were not a bother to us. We had plenty of towels, never had to ask for anything. The beds were very comfortable! I didn't rate anything for breakfast because it's not complimentary here and we never paid for the breakfast. We brought foods to keep in kitchen for breakfast and lunch and it worked out perfectly. Every morning the staff cleaned up the pool area and they were also very friendly if you were out there with them. When we checked in, we had someone help us unpack our car and take everything up the room. I love this place very much! I feel I can't stay anywhere else. Also, if you stay multiple times, you get discounts for your next stay.
I could go on and on of things I love about Avista!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin T
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
First off, Happy Anniversary, and thank you for staying with us and the nice comments. Glad to hear you had stayed with us in the past and came back for such a happy occasion and it was especially nice that the staff noticed and took great care of you. While we can have issues we do appreciate your patience and that the staff was able to handle these issues and allow you to have a stress free as possible stay at the Avista!

Come back soon.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a 2 bedroom unit with a washer and dryer. The dryer took forever to dry anything and the quick wash cycle didn't work on the washer. The room itself was nice. The noise from the pool area was loud, especially at night when out on the balcony trying to listen to the waves. The shape of the building is a semicircle so that made the sound worse. People shot off fireworks from the beach right off the property until nearly midnight most every night and the hotel did nothing since it was North Myrtle Beach property. Also cigarette smoke from the balcony below bothered us. There was not to be smoking allowed on the balconies. The beach was very crowded every day. There is lots to do for kids though in the area so that was a plus.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mlbarrett
JimEg, Manager at Avista Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write us. We do feel bad that you did not enjoy yourself as much as you could have. Certainly we do not allow smoking but as this is a CondoTel and the units are individually owned we cannot always control others actions. We do apologize that these smokers and those on the beach impacted your restful stay at the Avista. We have many guests who do prefer the fall as the weather is amazing and there are very few younger guests.

We do hope you come back and give us another chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,406 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,548 reviews
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!