“Would Stay Again But...”
Review of Avista Resort

Avista Resort
Dayton, Ohio
“Would Stay Again But...”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great location and unit was nice as well though not as big as I expected from photos. Nearly all the units look to have fabulous views. Ours was one of the few that did not. While the property is ocean front and every unit has a view of the ocean there are three on each floor that have a fairly obstructed view. In the North tower there is a property next door that significantly blocks the full view– we were on the 8th. In the future I’d avoid units 12, 13, 14 until at least the 11th floor (e.g. – 812, 813, 814). As other reviews have noted the ground floor smells horribly mildewed – though I think that’s more a testament to careless vacationers rather than the efforts of the resort staff. People get on the elevators dripping wet to the point of leaving huge puddles on the elevator – sad. Also the elevators are always supper hot – a/c would be nice. There is also no restroom on the pool level which could be part of the dripping wet people problem. While the registration parking is a bit tight it was certainly doable. We also had no problem finding a luggage cart coming or going. They were always available. Staff we encountered were all friendly and kind – especially Tim at the front desk. For our tastes, we'll probably look for a house to rent in the future but this is definitely a resonable resort to enjoy the beach and nearby restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Avoid 12, 13 and 14 in the North Tower up until at least the 11th floor if you'd like a full oce...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed here multiple times and will continue to stay here going forward. The rooms were clean, the food was great, and the amenities were awesome for the value. They have very clean pools as well. The front office staff were always friendly when I needed them. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great. The ocean view rooms are still a great view of the ocean since the hotel...
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was our first family trip to North Myrtle Beach in August 2012, the children are ages 4 and 6. We read great reviews of the Avista and the photos make it look amazing. Upon arrival, the registration parking areas are very poorly designed, there is no pull through. You pull your car into a tight, cramped, "J" shaped lot that you need to either squeeze into a spot or back out into the road. We have a large SUV so this was no easy task. The long term parking is across the street and it's fine.
Check in: they coudn't find our reservation at first so that was scary, and then we were not informed if our room was in the north or south tower so with a full luggage cart (those are few and far between) and 2 kids in tow we went up one elevator only to come down and have to cross over and go back up.
The room itself was decent, we had a one bedroom oceanfront on the 11th floor, great view!

Once we settled in we noticed several broken items in our room: the towel rack in the bathroom was bent and falling off of the wall, the headboard on the murphy bed was broken, screws sitcking out all over, and the handle of the washer/dryer unit was broken off so the door would not even open. To the credit of the resort, within hours of notifying the front desk of these issues, they were all fixed and the room tidied up as well.

While this is not the resort's fault: the first night we were there (a Thursday) we were sitting outside on the balcony anjoying the ocean breeze as were many and there were laser pointers flying every which way and hooting and hollering back and forth across the space until well past 11pm. It felt like a prison yard pick-up party. Thankfully this did not go on the next 2 nights but we really wondered what was going on.

The pools seemed dirty, but you can't really help that coming right off the beach, even when people rinse off. The ground level hallway to the elevator always smelled like urine.

Check out was as much of a cluster as check in as far as getting an elevator, we could not get a luggage cart, and trying to pull into the cramped lot to load up was a stressful way to end the trip.

I think our next trip to North Myrtle Beach we will opt to rent a house or cottage and avoid the crowds.

2 Thank Lorleafa
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Spent 3 days in mid august here and it was a great place. Me and wife mid 30's and a 5 year old daughter. We stayed in 431 which is a one bedroom condo with 2 double beds and a full size lazy susan that pulled down from the wall in the living room. (the sofa does not pull out). This room is not a true oceanfront it faces the southern end of the resort. The balcony is very big and you do still get a nice view of a few hundred yards of the ocean. My wife and i like being in he sun only in moderation so this room set up for us well because the balcony sits in the shade for most of the day. All rooms are condo style with full kitchen, ours even had a dish washer. We only ate out one night and we found the kitchen to be well furnished with everything we needed. The resort itself is no frills so if you are lookng for a wyndam or hilton style place look elsewhere. It does however have easy access to the beach and the indoor/outodoor pool area was a lot of fun open from 8:00am-10:00pm.

Pros:RIght on the Beach, Nice pool area with bar, We had a nice bathroom with a garden tub. The beach is great nice sand bar, the water temp is perfect this time of year.

Cons: The downstairs area on the ground floor smelled like mildew, I'm sure they have tried everything to get the smell out but it really stinks down there. For such a large pool area they really should have a few life guards. the teenagers really overrun the place especially at night so if you have small children you really need to stay close to them so they done get hurt. Also the outside deck area is very slick my daughter who is pretty careful fell twice just walking and I saw a few others fall on there buts quite hard.

This is our first trip to Myrtle as a family, we probably won't return here because we have a similar resort type area so close to us in Virginia Beach.

1 Thank smokem20
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2012

we drove in from kansas city overnight and got there at 8:30am. we were allowed to check in early and the room was ocean front. was nice with balcony. i sat on the balcony sipping bourban and my almost adult kids headed to the beach. on the second night we took a short drive down rt.17 to barefoot crossing, then from there down to the where the big ferris wheel is and the slingshot and walked the boardwalk. i think it was about 10-15 miles south from the hotel. the desk set us up for golf and got my kid a junior (16) rate, which was free. course was ok, but we werent pushed or had to wait at all. there are a ton of courses in the area. can't wait to do it again! staff was wonderful! oh, and the SOS on the breakfast buffet was some of the best ive ever had

Harrisburg, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've been vacationing in North Myrtle Beach for almost 50 years now and I've seen lots of change. Over the years we've stayed in provate cottages, motels, hotels, golf course condos - even in a camp ground or two. Since the Avista opened six or seven years ago, the decision of where to stay has been easy. There is absolutely no better value for the money anywhere in North Myrtle Beach. You can't beat it for clean modern accomodations, friendly staff, and the best location on the beach. We just got home from our tenth stay at the Avista and I'm ready to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Larry F
Carteret, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a nice hotel in North Myrtle Beach that is walking distance from eateries and some small shops. The proximity to the beach, which by the way, was warm and extremely inviting, was awesome. At first, upon looking at the hotel from the internet, I thought it would be too large of a place in order for us to enjoy a relaxing vacation, but amazingly it never felt crowded. I booked directly through the hotel (only because of a previous nightmare experience through a third party booking organization that engaged in a game of ping-pong with the actual hotel regarding my reimbursement that never materialized) and check-in was a breeze. I was initially booked on the 15th floor. When I thought I wanted to change from oceanfront to oceanview (silly me), the hotel clerk was very accommodating and let me see the suite I originally booked. When I stepped on the balcony, I realized it was way too high for my level of comfort so they changed my suite to the 5th floor. What a breathtaking and therapeutic view. I loved the balcony and the quiet lull of the waves as well as the cruise ships you can see afar passing through the night. The pool area was great as well. Although, at times, too many kids (and some adults) tend to swim, walk, play and wade through the lazy rivers opposed to getting in a tube. They have 2 sauna areas outside and 1 inside and the water is relatively hot, but soothing nonetheless. I would recommend this place for anyone looking for a clean and spacious suite with all the kitchen amenities (even a corkscrew) and a washer and dryer. I thought I did very well for my dollar and would recommend this hotel. Regarding the hotel's drawbacks, I would have to put the parking lot on blast because it has no numbers or markers to indicate what floor/level you're on. Also, the housekeeping issue is a little perplexing. Upon making our way to the elevator on our floor, we would always spot a cart in the corridor, but no one pushing it. It would just sit there...everyday. Now, maybe coincidentally, it could have been our timing...but we left at varied times in the morning. Our suite didn't require much because it was only two of us, but if I had four or more people in a suite, I'd be doing some serious hunting for a housekeeper. Just make sure upon check-in that you are clear about the housekeeping you anticipate and require for your suite. Overall, my suite suited me fine and provided me with a knockout view of the Atlantic. I would definitely recommend and revisit.

Room Tip: When they say ocean view, they mean ocean view. If you select an oceanfront, your room tends to be...
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Myrtle Beach
The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,440 reviews
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Center
Bay Watch Resort & Conference Ce...
#6 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,578 reviews
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Avista Resort? Share your experiences!