“Worse experience of my Life”
Review of Castaway Beach Inn

Castaway Beach Inn
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Worse experience of my Life”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

A Duke Alumni week-end, really don't you think you would have been told this when booking.
Beer can in pool and parking lot. Partying all night. When I complained to the front end staff I was
told that they have been coming for 20+ years and they paid an extra $5000 and could do what
they wanted to do. Guess my $130 for an old dirty room didn't count for anything. I will NEVER
stay here again. They advertise as a family place. I had my nieces with me and they could not
even get in the pool unless they wanted to swim with the beer cans.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bonnie1115

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Martinsville, Indiana
Reviewed May 28, 2013

we were looking for a cheap room to rent one night prior to our condo check in the next day so we weren't expecting much. BUT this place was filthy, moldy bathrooms, non working coffee pots and cabinet doors hanging off, nasty. you can do much better for the $ elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tarcher67

Travelers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This motel is much older than it appears in the pictures on the internet. The pool IS NOT heated and was not clean nor was the lazy river. There was beer cans all in the lazy river from Duke college students, that were rude, loud and disrespectful! I was told that Duke students come every year and could do what they want! If I had know this I would not have brought my grandchild or would I have paid to stay here. This motel is NOT family friendly! It is not clean! I will never stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Janice1958245
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Best thing is the view. We had an ocean front room. It needs a face lift. Even though furniture, carpets, and appliances are dated. It appears clean. Friendly service.. But if you are looking for new, not your place. But if you are looking for an affordable escape on the beach... Then you might want to give it a look.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cruizerz
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been visiting this motel at least once annually since 1978, when my grandparents brought me regularly. I now take my children and their friends as well as my adult friends and their friends. I always tell them: the Ritz it ain't, but you'll love it! And I have never gotten a complaint. This is why my family and friends go to the beach - to spend time TOGETHER. By the Sea provides an old, clean, kid friendly, beach front, family atmosphere in which to accomplish this. I have seen it burn twice, have multipe owners and managers, with each group of people bringing their own culture and charm to the motel without destroying the laid back ambiance I remember in the late 70's. I believe the most recent transition was new managers in April 2011. When I left last September I advised them of my disappointment and that I would return next year for what may be my last trip if things didn't change. I experienced a lot of the things I read in these reviews on that 9/2011 trip. However, this September when we arrived to check in to our traditional four room reservation (everybody has their favorite room...LOL), our entire party immediately began commenting on the 100% turn around they were finding in their rooms! New, certainly not, but CLEAN!! And orderly! And repaired (mostly)! I am so glad that we gave Jackie & Kenneth the opportunity to change our minds, and I am elated they worked so hard to make it happen! We made our reservations for 9/2013 before we left, and I am going to return with our crowd in October 2012 as well! This motel is by far the best BARGAIN on the oceanfront...there are BETTER, NEWER and RITZIER at NMB, but none with more FLAVOR! Focus on the people in your party, not the place, and you will love By the Sea...it breeds fellowship with it's spacious lawn and beach side cabana! Spent many hours there in lawn chairs talking with friends and meeting new ones!

Room Tip: For convenience to the elderly, disabled or those with young children I recommend requesting a groun...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Striving2Please
Green Level, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This had to be the worst place I have ever stayed in my entire 20+ years of vacationing. The pictures on the web are deceiving. The walls are paper thin and if someone sneezes upstairs you hear it, the popcorn ceiling is peeling, the breakers kept tripping causing the lights and tv to go out, the shower is so low I could not get under it and I am only 5' 11", and the parking lot is so so small. If all you need is a place to get you outta the environment, this may be it, if you want to enjoy your vacation this is not it. Great location, Bad everything else.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place, last resoert only.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Michael T
Nc
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went to the beach on a complete whim, found this hotel on tripadvisor and decided to roll the dice, winner!!! Looks questionable when you pull into the tiny parking lot, but check in was warm and just great overall. The room was exactly what it needed to be: clean, plenty of room, oceanfront with a balcony. i just love these older places, with no elevators, a real old fasioned motor inn type place. We stayed one night, wished we were staying 4 or 5. Pool very clean, the lazy river was super for my kids, a real gem. We had a ball hands down. Quiet at night, great location (easy walking distance to putt-putt, ice cream, a bit of shopping, a grill-bar), easy beach access, again - clean rooms - clean pool. Not a resort by any means, just a plain old motor inn with friendly employees and fair fair fair room prices. I will stay here again. I am 32 have a wonderful husband, 2 kids (5y & 4yr). I brought my grandma on this trip, she had the best time. Parking was fun with a big truck, but it worked! We left happy and full of sand, that's the point right?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family