“Transition, Consistency, Charm and Appeal (but the Ritz it ain't, so don't expect it)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castaway Beach Inn

Castaway Beach Inn
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Lexington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been visiting this motel at least once annually since 1978, when my grandparents brought me regularly. I now take my children and their friends as well as my adult friends and their friends. I always tell them: the Ritz it ain't, but you'll love it! And I have never gotten a complaint. This is why my family and friends go to the beach - to spend time TOGETHER. By the Sea provides an old, clean, kid friendly, beach front, family atmosphere in which to accomplish this. I have seen it burn twice, have multipe owners and managers, with each group of people bringing their own culture and charm to the motel without destroying the laid back ambiance I remember in the late 70's. I believe the most recent transition was new managers in April 2011. When I left last September I advised them of my disappointment and that I would return next year for what may be my last trip if things didn't change. I experienced a lot of the things I read in these reviews on that 9/2011 trip. However, this September when we arrived to check in to our traditional four room reservation (everybody has their favorite room...LOL), our entire party immediately began commenting on the 100% turn around they were finding in their rooms! New, certainly not, but CLEAN!! And orderly! And repaired (mostly)! I am so glad that we gave Jackie & Kenneth the opportunity to change our minds, and I am elated they worked so hard to make it happen! We made our reservations for 9/2013 before we left, and I am going to return with our crowd in October 2012 as well! This motel is by far the best BARGAIN on the oceanfront...there are BETTER, NEWER and RITZIER at NMB, but none with more FLAVOR! Focus on the people in your party, not the place, and you will love By the Sea...it breeds fellowship with it's spacious lawn and beach side cabana! Spent many hours there in lawn chairs talking with friends and meeting new ones!

Room Tip: For convenience to the elderly, disabled or those with young children I recommend requesting a groun...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Striving2Please

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Green Level, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This had to be the worst place I have ever stayed in my entire 20+ years of vacationing. The pictures on the web are deceiving. The walls are paper thin and if someone sneezes upstairs you hear it, the popcorn ceiling is peeling, the breakers kept tripping causing the lights and tv to go out, the shower is so low I could not get under it and I am only 5' 11", and the parking lot is so so small. If all you need is a place to get you outta the environment, this may be it, if you want to enjoy your vacation this is not it. Great location, Bad everything else.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place, last resoert only.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Michael T

Travelers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

Nc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went to the beach on a complete whim, found this hotel on tripadvisor and decided to roll the dice, winner!!! Looks questionable when you pull into the tiny parking lot, but check in was warm and just great overall. The room was exactly what it needed to be: clean, plenty of room, oceanfront with a balcony. i just love these older places, with no elevators, a real old fasioned motor inn type place. We stayed one night, wished we were staying 4 or 5. Pool very clean, the lazy river was super for my kids, a real gem. We had a ball hands down. Quiet at night, great location (easy walking distance to putt-putt, ice cream, a bit of shopping, a grill-bar), easy beach access, again - clean rooms - clean pool. Not a resort by any means, just a plain old motor inn with friendly employees and fair fair fair room prices. I will stay here again. I am 32 have a wonderful husband, 2 kids (5y & 4yr). I brought my grandma on this trip, she had the best time. Parking was fun with a big truck, but it worked! We left happy and full of sand, that's the point right?

2 Thank nctrembley0613
Covington, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I went for a nice get away. Saw the reviews for the hotel and were all good. We were mistaken. The room is old and out dated. We got an effeciency so we could cook for the children, what we got was a couple of pots and a tea pot. The walls are paper thin, could hear party upstairs all night, thank God the children are young and didn't understand what was going on. Was there to relax but the maintenance man made so much noice all day, could hardly relax. One day asked maid to come back in 1 hour as we were getting ready for beach. Upon return 4 hours later, room was not cleaned. Try to speak to maid, she only spoke Spanish and could not understand what I was asking. Found maintenance man to translate and she was already past our room and working on others, so, no room cleaned as she didn't want to return but did get towels. The next day,went to beach, maid did not clean room when returned in afternoon but asked to have towels brought (only brought 4 daily we had 2 adults and 3 children), by evening asked desk about towels and was told they were drying and would bring when finished, never received towels. Spoke with desk clerk in am regarding and was told "oh ya, they were drying and I went home and forgot." They didn't forget to take my payment out. Will not be coming back here again as there are nicer places to stay.

1 Thank Cindi222
Arden, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

this place was terrible! it is old, dirty, had a bad smell inside, the only good thing about this place was that it was on the beach, we checked in and an hour later left, would never stay there

5 Thank walterina b
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My family and I just returned from a visit to North Myrtle Beach. Let me preface this by saying that if you are looking for ritz and flash and glamour, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for an affordable hotel on the beach that is geared towards simplicity, this place is a diamond in the rough. The room was nice and provided plenty of room for three adults and one child. There is a small kitchen with a stove, microwave, sink and refrigerator. We stayed on the first floor of the main building, which was fine because my mother-in-law doesn't get around too well, but if it was just my wife and I, I would prefer to stay on the third floor to get a better view of the ocean. The lazy river pool was nice and a welcome break from the ocean. The staff was very friendly and even helped me with a flat tire on my car. My only complaint was the location of the thermostat controls, which were difficult to reach located above the refrigerator. I will definitely go back!

Room Tip: The second and third floors provide great views of the beach. The first floor does not have a "...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank PC524
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

A hotel is suppose to be a nice and pleasant experience this was not. The room smelled like cigarette smoke. We got locked in our room for over three hours could not get out. The guy came and took door nob off then we were headed to pool and my oldest got locked out by himself. Then they moved us to another room. And no they didn't compt us for anything. The only thing I can say if you want to stay in HELL this is the place. Family of 4 SC.

• Stayed July 2011