“Never, Never Again”
Review of Castaway Beach Inn

Castaway Beach Inn
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This had to be the worst place I have ever stayed in my entire 20+ years of vacationing. The pictures on the web are deceiving. The walls are paper thin and if someone sneezes upstairs you hear it, the popcorn ceiling is peeling, the breakers kept tripping causing the lights and tv to go out, the shower is so low I could not get under it and I am only 5' 11", and the parking lot is so so small. If all you need is a place to get you outta the environment, this may be it, if you want to enjoy your vacation this is not it. Great location, Bad everything else.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place, last resoert only.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Michael T
There are newer reviews for Castaway Beach Inn

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Went to the beach on a complete whim, found this hotel on tripadvisor and decided to roll the dice, winner!!! Looks questionable when you pull into the tiny parking lot, but check in was warm and just great overall. The room was exactly what it needed to be: clean, plenty of room, oceanfront with a balcony. i just love these older places, with no elevators, a real old fasioned motor inn type place. We stayed one night, wished we were staying 4 or 5. Pool very clean, the lazy river was super for my kids, a real gem. We had a ball hands down. Quiet at night, great location (easy walking distance to putt-putt, ice cream, a bit of shopping, a grill-bar), easy beach access, again - clean rooms - clean pool. Not a resort by any means, just a plain old motor inn with friendly employees and fair fair fair room prices. I will stay here again. I am 32 have a wonderful husband, 2 kids (5y & 4yr). I brought my grandma on this trip, she had the best time. Parking was fun with a big truck, but it worked! We left happy and full of sand, that's the point right?

2  Thank nctrembley0613
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I went for a nice get away. Saw the reviews for the hotel and were all good. We were mistaken. The room is old and out dated. We got an effeciency so we could cook for the children, what we got was a couple of pots and a tea pot. The walls are paper thin, could hear party upstairs all night, thank God the children are young and didn't understand what was going on. Was there to relax but the maintenance man made so much noice all day, could hardly relax. One day asked maid to come back in 1 hour as we were getting ready for beach. Upon return 4 hours later, room was not cleaned. Try to speak to maid, she only spoke Spanish and could not understand what I was asking. Found maintenance man to translate and she was already past our room and working on others, so, no room cleaned as she didn't want to return but did get towels. The next day,went to beach, maid did not clean room when returned in afternoon but asked to have towels brought (only brought 4 daily we had 2 adults and 3 children), by evening asked desk about towels and was told they were drying and would bring when finished, never received towels. Spoke with desk clerk in am regarding and was told "oh ya, they were drying and I went home and forgot." They didn't forget to take my payment out. Will not be coming back here again as there are nicer places to stay.

1  Thank Cindi222
Reviewed July 16, 2012

this place was terrible! it is old, dirty, had a bad smell inside, the only good thing about this place was that it was on the beach, we checked in and an hour later left, would never stay there

5  Thank walterina b
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My family and I just returned from a visit to North Myrtle Beach. Let me preface this by saying that if you are looking for ritz and flash and glamour, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for an affordable hotel on the beach that is geared towards simplicity, this place is a diamond in the rough. The room was nice and provided plenty of room for three adults and one child. There is a small kitchen with a stove, microwave, sink and refrigerator. We stayed on the first floor of the main building, which was fine because my mother-in-law doesn't get around too well, but if it was just my wife and I, I would prefer to stay on the third floor to get a better view of the ocean. The lazy river pool was nice and a welcome break from the ocean. The staff was very friendly and even helped me with a flat tire on my car. My only complaint was the location of the thermostat controls, which were difficult to reach located above the refrigerator. I will definitely go back!

Room Tip: The second and third floors provide great views of the beach. The first floor does not have a "...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank PC524
Reviewed June 28, 2012

A hotel is suppose to be a nice and pleasant experience this was not. The room smelled like cigarette smoke. We got locked in our room for over three hours could not get out. The guy came and took door nob off then we were headed to pool and my oldest got locked out by himself. Then they moved us to another room. And no they didn't compt us for anything. The only thing I can say if you want to stay in HELL this is the place. Family of 4 SC.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank jenjason3030
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I just wanted to let evrybody know that in april 2012 we went on a family vacation (my husband 2children and myself) for 6 days. the first thing we did was went to the front office to check in and was greeted open arms and smiles with friendly and helpful front desk employees. not only were they very helpful for me and my husband but also the manager was extremly patient with our hyper children (4&7). when we got into our room it was very clean and smelled fresh it was like a home away from home. the rooms were very comfortable and functionable. we will def be back every year now because we were so pleased with the over all outcome. the view from our room was just awesome and the kids loved being so close to sit and watch the ocean it was beautiful and relaxing. the pools and lazy river were over the top.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family